Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BigDog

Husky in Large Apartment: How to

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. First post:redface1:

I live in Australia in a 3 bedroom apartment. It is quite large and has open areas. 

I am looking at getting a Siberian puppy.

 

My dad is retired and goes for morning walks of 5km, every morning. He is also always at home, so is my mum since she works from home - The puppy would always have someone to play with. 

We live 80M walk from the Local park, which has a 600M x 1KM area. I am really active after work as well and frequently go for beach runs and walks.

I am slightly worried about the howling. Is there ways to minimize this or does that stem from boredom? 

 

Outside of the walking/active lifestyle and general good care for the husky, Is there anything I should pre-plan/worry about before making the purchase of my little new buddy? :) 

 

Thanks heaps!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off welcome and it's great to get as much info as possible before getting a husky.

Not all huskies will howl like you see on some videos. Mine aren't very loud so I don't think it would be much different than any other dog. In fact when other dogs walk by they just silently watch, while I hear other dogs barking like crazy.

A few things to keep in mind is that waking has to be at a minimum for the first several months, 5 minutes per month of age at a time. Also invest in training classes as huskies are very independent and can be difficult to train. And lots of patience!!


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jay said:

First off welcome and it's great to get as much info as possible before getting a husky.

Not all huskies will howl like you see on some videos. Mine aren't very loud so I don't think it would be much different than any other dog. In fact when other dogs walk by they just silently watch, while I hear other dogs barking like crazy.

A few things to keep in mind is that waking has to be at a minimum for the first several months, 5 minutes per month of age at a time. Also invest in training classes as huskies are very independent and can be difficult to train. And lots of patience!!


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thank you so much for the welcome and the reply! 

Is there a vast personality/physical differences between male and female huskies?

The walking minimum will be very easy to hit :) 

Is there any interior precautions I should look into? Is it common for huskies to destroy leather furtniture/scratch up walls?

 

Thanks again:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey and welcome female dog in general more loyal then male, I got myself husky now he's is 10 month in flat he's never destroy noting so far so good

Sent from my F5121 using Husky Owners mobile app

Hey and welcome female dog in general more loyal then male, I got myself husky now he's is 10 month in flat he's never destroy noting so far so good

Sent from my F5121 using Husky Owners mobile app



Ofc all dog are difrent

Sent from my F5121 using Husky Owners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi when you mention the park is it a secure dog park? Huskies should never be let off the lead, they have no recall

 

Personality wise every dog is different, I've got 2 boys and they are both completely different. 1 I had from a puppy and he's like a grumpy old man - doesn't like being brushed, being stroked, being in the car, having his harness put on, he doesn't like anything really! The behaviourist thinks it's genetics rather than anything I've done. On the other hand Koda my rescue that I got when he was 7 months loves everything and loves cuddles, but he's a lot more bouncy than Astro and more prone to try and escape from the garden! it was so much better on missing out on the puppy stage with Koda (husky puppies are very difficult so as a first time husky owner one slightly older might be easier), and being able to see what their personality was by choosing a young adult was a lot better too

And yes huskies can be very destructive if bored so a crate is recommended. I didn't have my first in a crate until 9 months and in that time he destroyed my kitchen and ripped my sofa to shreds! They also sleep on their backs against walls with their legs in the air so I've got scratches all over my walls, and I still need to replace my kitchen door which Astro scratched to pieces before the crate

They are a very challenging breed but the best!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As above, huskies don't like to be on their own for too long and they have short attention spans, one of mine can be more destructive than the other. Time wise they are quite demanding and the key to training is consistency.
If you decide to add a husky to your family there are many experienced husky owners on this forum should you ever need advice about training, diet, health etc.




Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as above..Mine are not crated at all (only when we go camping) and can stay alone in the house for a long time with a command...did take a bit of training.. and finally

595fd1125ef7a_HOWelcome.jpg.17d80d3d7760582601284ea6620077e1.jpg  TO  595fd11e085c4_HOBanner.thumb.png.7a5dcfe20818ede4238d77854c73138f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forum. 

It sounds like you have the time and the space to enjoy one of these exceptional animals. As for living arrangements, being left indoors or outdoors alone is perfectly possible, however huskies do not like being left alone, so when boredom kicks in you might have a few reminders and presents left for you.!

 

Mine now live outside 100% of the time. They have a secure garden and their own summer house. I only have one howler and thats because my wife wanted her to make sounds... so when we say the command talk, she barks and chatter chatter chatter she howls! 

 

here you go, this is in my folks garden just about to go for a walk. 

 

one very important thing, do not let your husky off a lead. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5964eb9b99387_P1010523(Copy).thumb.JPG.4b0f9d17ec8850f958e081c73c8d4b84.JPG

Marley was never left alone  -   but I left the lounge door open one night and the next morning got up to this.   About a week later he gave me a matching arm on my settee.    I now have leather sofas  -  and the lounge is definitely out of bounds at night !

As above - never, never, never let him/her off lead unless in a secure park with 6 foot fencing.   As young pups they will come back  -  but one day they just decide not to  -  and then its too late.

Enjoy the ride of having the best dog breed around  -  life is never dull once you have a husky.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

Hi when you mention the park is it a secure dog park? Huskies should never be let off the lead, they have no recall

 

Personality wise every dog is different, I've got 2 boys and they are both completely different. 1 I had from a puppy and he's like a grumpy old man - doesn't like being brushed, being stroked, being in the car, having his harness put on, he doesn't like anything really! The behaviourist thinks it's genetics rather than anything I've done. On the other hand Koda my rescue that I got when he was 7 months loves everything and loves cuddles, but he's a lot more bouncy than Astro and more prone to try and escape from the garden! it was so much better on missing out on the puppy stage with Koda (husky puppies are very difficult so as a first time husky owner one slightly older might be easier), and being able to see what their personality was by choosing a young adult was a lot better too

And yes huskies can be very destructive if bored so a crate is recommended. I didn't have my first in a crate until 9 months and in that time he destroyed my kitchen and ripped my sofa to shreds! They also sleep on their backs against walls with their legs in the air so I've got scratches all over my walls, and I still need to replace my kitchen door which Astro scratched to pieces before the crate

They are a very challenging breed but the best!

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

 

i dont think we have 'secure dog parks' here, I dont even knwo what they are haha.  Its a huge park with sports fields, lots of open space, a walking/jogging track and heaps of doggies running around all over the place :) dont 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i dont think we have 'secure dog parks' here, I dont even knwo what they are haha.  Its a huge park with sports fields, lots of open space, a walking/jogging track and heaps of doggies running around all over the place  dont 


Ok just keep in mind huskies shouldn't be let off lead my post letting huskies off lead in main chat (a sticky post) explains why


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Rachael_Astro said:

 


Ok just keep in mind huskies shouldn't be let off lead emoji4.png my post letting huskies off lead in main chat (a sticky post) explains why


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

 

Is that just around other dogs or in general? 

I know they like running around but unfortunately we dont have a walled off garden where he/she could roam around. 

Is free roaming something a husky needs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is that just around other dogs or in general? 
I know they like running around but unfortunately we dont have a walled off garden where he/she could roam around. 
Is free roaming something a husky needs? 


No it's at all times. There is a long explanation as to why on my letting huskies off lead topic in main chat but I'm not sure how to copy a link on the app.
Huskies have no recall and a high prey drive which is a recipe for disaster. When they were sled dogs, they were used by the Chukchi people for thousands of years so their traits are deeply ingrained and cannot simply be trained out of. They were used as sled dogs in the winter, but in the summer they would be released back into the wild where they would hunt for themselves. This explains the prey drive and the independence. The huskies would come back to the village in the winter when food was scarce and so it went on. It was a you scratch my back I scratch yours situation which is why they have a what's in it for me attitude! The what's in it for me attitude is another problem with recall
The other problem is selective hearing. This is because when they were sled dogs, they would go against commands if they could sense danger. Huskies make up their own minds whether they listen to you or not
I know of huskies that have been killed on roads and shot by farmers because they have been let off lead. Every husky organisation in the world will tell you not to do it and it's not worth the risk


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i dont think we have 'secure dog parks' here, I dont even knwo what they are haha.  Its a huge park with sports fields, lots of open space, a walking/jogging track and heaps of doggies running around all over the place  dont 

Hi we live in Perth, WA there are secure fenced in parks here where are you located?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Husky Owners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, petertmartin said:

Clayton Reserve in north Melbourne is a fenced in dog park! Otherwise nothing wrong with lead walking good training

Sent from my SM-G900I using Husky Owners mobile app
 

Yeh that is literally an hour drive for me :( might have to settle for the leash walking..

 

how easy would it be to get my pup back on a leash at a dog beach? Is it likely to become hostile to the other dogs? (I know its up to the personality), but usually?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeh that is literally an hour drive for me  might have to settle for the leash walking..
 
how easy would it be to get my pup back on a leash at a dog beach? Is it likely to become hostile to the other dogs? (I know its up to the personality), but usually?

It's at your own risk some days at the park like this morning she refused to come to me for almost 20 minutes it is annoying because 90% of the time she comes to me. It's no problem really in an enclosed park people just think she's poorly trained lol. I've had her off lead at a beach as a puppy it's at your own risk as I'm sure others will say.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Husky Owners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get long leads to give them a little more freedom too. I've got some horse lunge lines although admittedly mine are too long, think I bought the 100ft ones and as they got older running to the end of the line can leave you a bit shell shocked, lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Here's the link to the sticky that Rachael was talking about....

Letting Huskies Off Lead

https://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/71062-Letting-Huskies-Off-Lead


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emma said:

You can get long leads to give them a little more freedom too. I've got some horse lunge lines although admittedly mine are too long, think I bought the 100ft ones and as they got older running to the end of the line can leave you a bit shell shocked, lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thats a good solution! Is it the feeling of freedom or the action of running which they love so much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thats a good solution! Is it the feeling of freedom or the action of running which they love so much?

Both I suspect. They can often seem to have an innate desire to escape too. Out of open windows, over six foot fences, they're known as the Houdini of the dog world, lol. As a an offlead jogging partner they're a poor choice in all honesty due to their prey drive but as companions and family members overall they are truly a breed apart. Just don't expect them to act like a regular dog, they're a whole different ballgame in a weird and wonderful way

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, Emma said:

Both I suspect. They can often seem to have an innate desire to escape too. Out of open windows, over six foot fences, they're known as the Houdini of the dog world, lol. As a an offlead jogging partner they're a poor choice in all honesty due to their prey drive but as companions and family members overall they are truly a breed apart. Just don't expect them to act like a regular dog, they're a whole different ballgame in a weird and wonderful way emoji3.png

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Haha thats cute as.

 

what is it that you love about huskies in particular?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thats a good solution! Is it the feeling of freedom or the action of running which they love so much?


Both! If you read my post above they would be free in the summer and then running all winter, so they are both part of their instinct


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Haha thats cute as.
 
what is it that you love about huskies in particular?


I personally love their character. You generally get a dog and you are expecting a biddable dog who aims to please you and does whatever you say without even thinking about it right? Not with a husky. I love their ability to make their own decisions even if at times it drives me bonkers when they are deliberately ignoring me. It kind of shows a depth to their personality if you know what I mean? When I've told Ice "No" before he has actually turned round and said something in his dog voice which was quite clearly an argument of some kind. I can honestly say I've never been I a two way argument with a dog before


Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.