Experiment

Jay

My dogs have all been crated while I'm away since I've had them over 5 years ago. Lately I have been testing them by leaving them out of the crate while I go to the store or out to eat for an hour or two. They have been doing great so I decided that I am putting up the crates today and starting tomorrow they will be crate free dogs! I'm sure they will love it, I've husky proofed the area where they have access too so they can't get into anything. They have never went potty inside or tore up the couch or anything so I think they will be fine. Here's hoping I don't come home to a disaster tomorrow! [emoji51]2300602c7c1a80e8fde0a81b0fe9e8b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Kodiak is about 7 years old, Nikko is 5 1/2, and Yukon just turned 5 in June.   I wouldn't have tried this when they were only 9 months old, since that is when they are in the middle of their "teenage" years, and can be a handful.  Nikko was pretty destructive at that age.  I have been testing them for the last few months though, leaving them out for a few hours a day and they have been fine. 

However Yukon will still be crated upstairs because he has epilepsy and I don't want him to have seizures and getting hurt if he bangs into things. I felt guilty having to crate him while the other 2 get to roam free, so we will see how it goes!

I tried for a day to crate Cai, he absolutely hated it! My two roam around the house and the only thing they destroy is the back door mat, but I wouldn't leave them roaming around if I'm not home. I leave the back door open and they have the kitchen to come into and there's a safety gate at the kitchen door. I never leave them for more than 3 hours and I usually find them relaxing in the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

let me know how it goes, i am curious, mine is 9 months now and always crated but i would like to create a place for him when we move so he can roam when we are out.

I wouldn't try this at 9 months, Astro destroyed my kitchen when he was that age!

Good luck Jay you're a lot braver than me!

We are in day 3 and proud to report there have been no issues! I was afraid the little one would be distressed in the crate upstairs, but he's probably glad to be away from them for awhile! 

We kept Dom in his crate when we left the house and he slept there too until he was 1. And we couldn't wait to be done with that. Thank God we were lucky that he did good. And now he is 3 going on 4 years old. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

let me know how it goes, i am curious, mine is 9 months now and always crated but i would like to create a place for him when we move so he can roam when we are out.

I wouldn't try this at 9 months, Astro destroyed my kitchen when he was that age!

Good luck Jay you're a lot braver than me!

Yeah skyla was around the same age when she decided EVERYTHING tasted amazing , she's not longer crated now but I'd wait till he's a bit older lol

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Thank you, we have decided to wait until about 2 years now. I was trying to avoid buying a bigger crate as his XL is getting too small for him. So i will buy an XXL crate and use that until he is 2 i think.

• 4 months later...

My two love the big crate (which both can go into if I have dog shy visitors) & and take turns sleeping in this at night with the other on a bed beside it between the airing cupboard and closed sitting room door so snug. The crate is also a den for quiet space if they so choose as it's 1/3rd partially covered over the whole top. Woofs need their own 'place' so I'd at least replace the crate space with their own beds if possible. [emoji847]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Archived