Have to rant at someone

chelseafan

As it was cooler early this morning I decided to take Cai and Luka for a long walk by the river, they've missed out on long walks with it being so hot, so I packed my bag and off we went.

A few dog owners had the same idea, 2 dogs off lead, my two on the lead and the head harnesses on as they're pulling like mad prob because they've missed a few walks with the heat. So the two dogs are running in front not bothering my two so I relax a little, a second later this springer spaniel comes bounding out of the river at top speed towards us with the owner shouting 'don't worry she's friendly'

What a bleeping idiot! I barely had time to pull them towards me, the leads are tangling around my arms and legs, and friendly is not what her dog was!! Cai's trying to get out of his harness Luka's growling, and the owner still hadn't come over. I shouted to the owner to get her dog and when she came over she told me her dogs never done that before. It took me all of my patience to tell her in a nice way that she might do well to remember that just because she says her dog is friendly doesn't mean that ALL dogs will be friendly to hers and that had mine been off the lead it might have ended badly. She looked at me as if I was speaking another language, dog owners like her put their dogs in situations that could end very badly.

Rant finished.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had exactly the same experience funnily enough also with a spaniel! So annoying I really wish people would control their dogs. I seriously think all dogs should be kept on a lead unless it's a designated dog park.

And the other day a woman was leaving the park with her off lead mini poodle, I was walking past the park (I avoid it now after spaniel incident). Next thing the poodle decides it wants to meet my 2 and starts skipping across the road in front of incoming traffic! My 2 are going mad barking and jumping around because the dog is approaching them and Koda isn't good with small dogs, she just stands there calling the dog who doesn't come back, cars are waiting to go. I shouted her to get the dog because I was struggling to control my 2. It's just rediculas

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I have a welsh springer spaniel and yes they can be a LOT over the top and yes I would not like it if 1 came offlead towards me bouncing like an idiot on crack, which the can be like, 

and this comment oh it is ok it is a friendly dog annoy the bleep bleep out of me...same as the one oh if yours snap then it is ok need to learn a lesson that it is not ok to come bouncing towards other dogs...

I hate the ' it's ok he's/she's/they're friendly' comment , Skyla was so badly attacked when she was younger she can now be fear aggressive at offlead dogs running at her , and because of this Blaze is now protective over her , just because their dog is friendly doesn't mean it's ok! In fact it's bad doggy manners anyway to allow their dog to do that behaviour! It puts skyla and blaze back in a place I've been working so hard to get them out of too :(

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I look for new places to walk them all the time but not because mine are problematic, there's too many off lead dogs with stupid owners who think they have perfectly well behaved dogs!
I also believe all dogs should be on the lead when walking, and maybe off lead dog owners would also see where their dog is leaving their dog poop so they can pick it up!

I have the same with Amy, people let their dogs run over and do nothing to stop them, even if they see I'm trying to get her away, she'd only want to play with them but the owners dont know that! And not picking up poo...... thats a bug bear of mine, our park is really well maintained by council, regularly mown, bins emptied so theres no excuse! And kids play there too!!!
Oh and I was told the other day that Amy was a husky/german Shepard cross apparently his friend breeds huskies so that made him an 'expert' I smiled on the outside, and walked away, ( wont tell you what I said in my head!!!) [emoji35]

I have the same with Amy, people let their dogs run over and do nothing to stop them, even if they see I'm trying to get her away, she'd only want to play with them but the owners dont know that! And not picking up poo...... thats a bug bear of mine, our park is really well maintained by council, regularly mown, bins emptied so theres no excuse! And kids play there too!!!
Oh and I was told the other day that Amy was a husky/german Shepard cross apparently his friend breeds huskies so that made him an 'expert' I smiled on the outside, and walked away, ( wont tell you what I said in my head!!!) [emoji35]

I always have people say aww look at the husky n point at blaze poor Skyla is very rarely recognised as a sibe bless her

Luka is GSD X husky and people say he's a malamute! Jo, I know what you mean when you say won't tell you what I said in my head lol [emoji23] I do it all the time. Parents walk past me with their young children and say that's a husky and that's a malamute, I smile and walk away.

This is Chase, who i constantly get told is a white German Shepherd. He can't be Husky my mate breeds them, and a breeder at the school told me he is definitely got white GSD in him. I hate being told what my dog is having seen his Mum and dad lol

IMG_7109.JPG

2 minutes ago, robinthatcher said:

This is Chase, who i constantly get told is a white German Shepherd. He can't be Husky my mate breeds them, and a breeder at the school told me he is definitely got white GSD in him. I hate being told what my dog is having seen his Mum and dad lol

IMG_7109.JPG

having had gsd's no gsd in yours...LOL

I have a White GSD and they do look very similar

I want to stick my nose in and disagree slightly with some of the above. My mowgli is walked for 2-3 hours a day in the same location and every dog we meet is off lead. Husky's are very special dogs which take a lot of work compared to most and us as owners cannot be judgmental towards other dog owners just because there dog is off lead. Most other breads of dogs can be well behaved off lead and are very friendly. Our furry friends do not always take to well when a BLOODY SPANIEL runs flat out towards them but we need to just respect this and always be ready for it.

I have had many incidents where other dogs have attacked Mowgli and where he also attacked without reason and all I can do is best to keep everyone's dog safe !

I am 6ft1 and weigh 15st and I sometimes find it hard to hold Mowgli back so I can understand with owners which have more than one find it very difficult in some situations.

My advice is try to keep the same primary walk so you can get to know the other owners and dogs. You will soon find out who the responsible people are.

My rant over [emoji850]

Good advice!
I also find that as I have 2 and walk them together and you have a loony dog running towards you it's not that easy to control 2 dogs and off lead dog owners should think about that because it could be their dog that gets hurt. I also find that other dogs react aggressively towards mine for no reason, wherever I walk them.

Just to add, the main reason I think dogs should be walked on leads is because owners aren't always going to be able to clean up after their dog if their dog is bounding around everywhere. Dog poo left on paths and walks is a big issue in my area, dogs are being banned from certain areas because of it.

I want to stick my nose in and disagree slightly with some of the above. My mowgli is walked for 2-3 hours a day in the same location and every dog we meet is off lead. Husky's are very special dogs which take a lot of work compared to most and us as owners cannot be judgmental towards other dog owners just because there dog is off lead. Most other breads of dogs can be well behaved off lead and are very friendly. Our furry friends do not always take to well when a BLOODY SPANIEL runs flat out towards them but we need to just respect this and always be ready for it.

I have had many incidents where other dogs have attacked Mowgli and where he also attacked without reason and all I can do is best to keep everyone's dog safe !

I am 6ft1 and weigh 15st and I sometimes find it hard to hold Mowgli back so I can understand with owners which have more than one find it very difficult in some situations.

My advice is try to keep the same primary walk so you can get to know the other owners and dogs. You will soon find out who the responsible people are.

My rant over [emoji850]

I don't think we at all have to respect and be ready for any breed of dog that's offlead to run AT our dogs at all , if owners have dogs offlead that is their responsibility to have control of that dog and not let it charge other dogs , the whole 'it's friendly' comment is usually used by people who don't have control over their dog and can't call them back , a dog on lead could be on that lead for a number of reasons including surgery , age etc and they having their dog offlead should actually respect and be prepared for US who have our dogs on lead .

I don't have issue with offlead dogs that behave and listen to their owners and don't charge my dogs , but I do have issue with those dogs that do charge my dogs , it's bad doggy manners at the least ;)

I'm lucky that I can hold both my dogs back , being a short girl ;) lol but I shouldn't have to

agree with Nix 100%...there are a few loose lead dogs around here and 1 i will mention special, a gsd where I have said to the owner one more time and I will report your dog as agressive and offlead (all dogs must be on lead in Holland apart from designated areas) what this dog does with his owner is wait till I have gone past then let it go on the go command and it will attack from behind and will always go for Bindi first as she is the one that does respond back to the gsd...

i do not have a problem with offlead dogs as long as the owner can call it back in 1 / 2 commands after that I become hostile and will start to become annoyed...

I don't think we at all have to respect and be ready for any breed of dog that's offlead to run AT our dogs at all , if owners have dogs offlead that is their responsibility to have control of that dog and not let it charge other dogs , the whole 'it's friendly' comment is usually used by people who don't have control over their dog and can't call them back , a dog on lead could be on that lead for a number of reasons including surgery , age etc and they having their dog offlead should actually respect and be prepared for US who have our dogs on lead .

I don't have issue with offlead dogs that behave and listen to their owners and don't charge my dogs , but I do have issue with those dogs that do charge my dogs , it's bad doggy manners at the least [emoji6]

I'm lucky that I can hold both my dogs back , being a short girl [emoji6] lol but I shouldn't have to

I agree! When I was pregnant I didnt appreciate having an out of control spaniel bouncing around my dogs with no owner in sight and getting tangled in my dogs leads. There is also a man with 2 very unfriendly German shepherds by me who purposely walks his dogs away from other dog walkers, if an off lead dog was to run towards them I don't think they would get away lightly and who's fault would that be?
I shouldn't have to avoid certain places because people can't control their dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

A neighbour at the back of me has 2 extremely well behaved springer spaniels, immediate recall every time, they're off lead, and we share steps and a walkway to the backs of our houses, we happen to pass each other sometimes and he makes his two wait with one command, said only once, while we pass. I've never seen such obedience and my two just pass by. Nice.

2 hours ago, chelseafan said:

A neighbour at the back of me has 2 extremely well behaved springer spaniels, immediate recall every time, they're off lead, and we share steps and a walkway to the backs of our houses, we happen to pass each other sometimes and he makes his two wait with one command, said only once, while we pass. I've never seen such obedience and my two just pass by. Nice.

and that is how it should be if you want your dog(s) off lead...

I totally disagree that owners are ok to have a dog off lead. No matter how well trained of a dog they are animals and unpredictable.

How many times i have already heard, oh he/she has never done that before is just crazy. Dogs off lead in general is generally illegal. Also do most people read and understand the dangerous dog act? Any dog can be put down for being off the lead whether the owner feels in control or not, in any area. Any human has the right to feel safe from dogs and therefore a dog off the lead may not allow someone to feel safe. I have actually read about a dog that SNIFFED a child whilst off the lead being taken away from its owner under the dangerous dog act. Unfortunately this can be the case. Now i understand dog parks, but we have one near us. Children play in there all the time, if there are kids in there Chase stays on his lead, if one comes in i put him straight on his lead. Part of being a responsible dog owner of any breed is understanding what they are and what instincts could come out at anytime.

That is my rant over but i am a firm believer that off lead dog areas should be clearly specified and no matter how well trained in any open area or public park dogs should be on a lead.

I understand how everyone feels and I do agree mostly. In the UK us husky owners are the minority as most dogs seem to be offlead. I do think the uk should follow suit with other countries and make it law to have dogs on lead as it would stop a lot of issues.

Going slight off topic, On my morning walk I saw a guy with a malamute offlead running with him which was unbelievable So well behaved and ignored every dog, rabbit and cow. How is this possible [emoji50]

4 hours ago, robinthatcher said:

I totally disagree that owners are ok to have a dog off lead. No matter how well trained of a dog they are animals and unpredictable.

How many times i have already heard, oh he/she has never done that before is just crazy. Dogs off lead in general is generally illegal. Also do most people read and understand the dangerous dog act? Any dog can be put down for being off the lead whether the owner feels in control or not, in any area. Any human has the right to feel safe from dogs and therefore a dog off the lead may not allow someone to feel safe. I have actually read about a dog that SNIFFED a child whilst off the lead being taken away from its owner under the dangerous dog act. Unfortunately this can be the case. Now i understand dog parks, but we have one near us. Children play in there all the time, if there are kids in there Chase stays on his lead, if one comes in i put him straight on his lead. Part of being a responsible dog owner of any breed is understanding what they are and what instincts could come out at anytime.

That is my rant over but i am a firm believer that off lead dog areas should be clearly specified and no matter how well trained in any open area or public park dogs should be on a lead.

I kind of agree with some of that but I have noticed something else a few problems that have grown over the years

when i was growing up I was taught so was every child "dont go near or touch a strange dog with asking its owner" or something like that but now kids will just walk over and maul dogs  they have no respect or understanding of dogs any more. it seems that as a dog owner i have to give every 5 year old a lecture on no dont do that dont do this when they see my or any dog as they havent been taught it at home.

this lack of respect towards animals is shown by the thugs that will run up to dogs and roar at them to prevoke some sort of reaction and think it is funny I persoanly think that with the dumbing down of society and the so called Political Correctness movement of the last 30 years has left us with a large part of society with no respect for themselves, each other the elderly or even animals.

I have had whilst walking my dogs people run them over with bikes. 14 year olds climb over the fence into the tennis courts where i have locked myself away from people so my dog can be let off lead. an Unattended 6 year old just walk over with food and let himself into the tennis courts with my and other peoples dogs whilst his perents are getting drunk in the sun hundreds of yards away leaving thier kid to walk around a public park with out any suppervision at all Thankfully  nothing  happenend but the kid could have been bitten by a dog or worse snatched and they would not have known.

all this seems to stem from a now not so uncommon beleif that for any negative behaviour it all can be blamed on some one or something else, that it is never the idiot that did it, its the fault of a TV show, Computer game, Music, Film, Drink or Drugs. But never the personal choices of the idiot they have even tried in some cases made it the Victims fault

People need to stop this rubbish and admit that it is THEM that They did it and stop passing the buck and blaming anything and everything apart from thier own poor choices in life

15 hours ago, PaulG said:

I kind of agree with some of that but I have noticed something else a few problems that have grown over the years

when i was growing up I was taught so was every child "dont go near or touch a strange dog with asking its owner" or something like that but now kids will just walk over and maul dogs  they have no respect or understanding of dogs any more. it seems that as a dog owner i have to give every 5 year old a lecture on no dont do that dont do this when they see my or any dog as they havent been taught it at home.

this lack of respect towards animals is shown by the thugs that will run up to dogs and roar at them to prevoke some sort of reaction and think it is funny I persoanly think that with the dumbing down of society and the so called Political Correctness movement of the last 30 years has left us with a large part of society with no respect for themselves, each other the elderly or even animals.

I have had whilst walking my dogs people run them over with bikes. 14 year olds climb over the fence into the tennis courts where i have locked myself away from people so my dog can be let off lead. an Unattended 6 year old just walk over with food and let himself into the tennis courts with my and other peoples dogs whilst his perents are getting drunk in the sun hundreds of yards away leaving thier kid to walk around a public park with out any suppervision at all Thankfully  nothing  happenend but the kid could have been bitten by a dog or worse snatched and they would not have known.

all this seems to stem from a now not so uncommon beleif that for any negative behaviour it all can be blamed on some one or something else, that it is never the idiot that did it, its the fault of a TV show, Computer game, Music, Film, Drink or Drugs. But never the personal choices of the idiot they have even tried in some cases made it the Victims fault

People need to stop this rubbish and admit that it is THEM that They did it and stop passing the buck and blaming anything and everything apart from thier own poor choices in life

Oh i agree there Paul. 30 years ago as a society we placed dogs much higher up as importance and this issue was not around. Almost everyone enjoyed dogs for what they are and i think that made it so much  better.

These days we are expected to educate our dogs but no mention if people do not educate their kids etc. I 100% agree, we encourage every child who strokes ours to ask first and then we generally monitor it as he can be overly playful. The issue is dogs are becoming less acceptable in society i feel. They are barely allowed in places anymore and if they are it has to be advertised which i find so bad. As a new dog owning family to go out together in winter is tough for us as we cannot go inside anywhere with the dog.

The few idiots spoil it for the many with their untrained 'guard' dogs.

40 years ago  the news saying

Dog bites child............... I used to think poor kid dogs owners are bad

today

same headline today and the first thing i think  ......  wonder what the little brat was doing to the dog.

100 % agree with the fact that there's less places for our fur kids to go to, there's been a surge in the last few years in my town with people buying the 'designer' dogs and with that there are signs going up in places dogs have always gone to saying NO DOGS ALLOWED! I personally think some of it is to do with the fact that some dog owners won't pick up their dog poop, I think councils should employ dog wardens to actively dish out on the spot fines to these people, it's the only way to move forward.

Archived