Canicross and Bikejoring

RJWR

Hey all,

so i've just ordered some canicross gear from indi dog. I have two huskies. Both are a handful and both are rescue dogs. Taylor is 3.5 and Blaze is 20 months. 

My plan is to start running with them both before i hook up the bike. They pull quite hard on the lead and occasionally start to play  with each other, which whilst hooked up to a lead is another level of challenging. 

Can anyone offer any advice of how to start encouraging direction changes, start/stop, slow etc......

start doing it while walking I have found that that was the easiest for me...I just used left and right left-by right-by and whoaaa for slow down...and it does become handy while walking as well funny when I go down stairs with my 2 and go whoaa...whoaaa...stop...LOLOL

lol was fun last night i got towed up hill by 3 dogs my boy and two pure Malamutes

The Mals live a few doors away and we were  doing a test run incase thier mom has to go away and i need to dog sit for her. wanted to give me some practice with them and see how they and Louie react to walking as a 3sum on a belt and not side by side with 2 people

• 4 weeks later...

so ive started now and they seem to picking up some of the commands. I tend to sit back a little when i want them to slow down whilst saying the whooaa..

so far no accidents. ill keep you posted.

i read a few websites that listed "official" husky commands, however in the interest of me not looking too mad, ill keep to left and right :)

I also use "go" for moving forward. Well really its "go,go,go" :)

I had a lot of advice on this forum when I started to train my two, 'walk on' is my favourite, an absolute must for walking mine. Cai picks commands up quickly but it takes a while for Luka.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I had another go today, i think they are getting left and right, but it could just be natural sense of direction

so this morning i took them out and blaze decided to lay down half way through.... it cant have been longer than 1 to 2 km.

This evening i tried again, same result. Anyone else experienced this?

On 7/16/2017 at 8:01 AM, robke said:

could be to warm...to humid paws hurting could be anything...

im running at as early as i can and as late as i can..... Although im not wearing a fur coat! 

• 9 months later...

so blaze is much better at pulling a bike or me :)

Taylor doesnt seem interested at all in anything husky related. She prefers a trot down the road puffing her tail.

Archived