At what age does training "click" with puppy

We have a 5 month old female husky, having rescued her at 8 weeks. I did tons of research before bringing her home so I knew what to expect. As a typical husky, she is very stubborn. We're working on the housebreaking thing and she's doing ok. She still won't "tell" me when she needs to go outside (or her cues are so subtle I miss them) so we still have 5-10 accidents a week. How does she learn "to hold" it? 

She also cannot stand to be in her kennel in the morning after she's gone out around 5:00am to do her business. She howls, whines and digs to get out.  She might be ready to get up but we're not!  

My question is this:  How does she figure these things out?  Any clue as to what age things "click"?  She's very smart but typical husky, she's also stubborn. 

She doesn't learn to hold it, she can hold it. She learns where is acceptable to go to the toilet. So firstly she thinks indoors is ok, which is a bad thing obviously. So what i would suggest is, going back to potty basics. She goes out every hour (waking hours) and is on a lead. Take her out for 5-10 mins on the lead in the back garden, if she goes, repeat the cue 'wee wee' then good girl. teach the command of wee wee etc for when she does it so she can go on command. If you have her roaming keep an eye out she may just go to the door to go out, but right now she doesn't realise the house is not a toilet.

IF she goes in the house, take her outside immediately, again on the lead and try that. It will take discipline and consistency from you.

Witht he waking up, well ours is nearly 8 months now and has slept through the night in general for months. No up for toilet breaks etc. He has been able to hold it for a good few months. generally he will not go in his cage unless it is a last resort he will hold as long as possible. he doesn't even go out when he gets up now, he waits to go on a walk. Common with dogs i am told, they like to save it until they are out and about. So i would cut out getting up at 5am at all. Habits are hard to get out of older dogs i know that so best to start again totally with these things and start googling and find an approach that suits you, but one that is tailored towards a puppy. it just sounds like bad habits to me.

If i was up at 5am i am sure mine would get up but i don't get up at 5am and he is generally very good, we get up at 8 and he is fine.

You will need to work with her constantly.  With my first husky, it took him until he was about 6 months old before he was completely potty trained and crate trained.  Just consistency, and positive training they will eventually get it, it just takes a while!

Some pick it up sooner than others.  Bear was always incredibly fast to learn new things, Ice not so much.  But both got there in the end and that's what matters.  

Archived