I don't want to give up my husky?? Help!?

Storm731

So I've had my beautiful Storm since he was 9 weeks old.. my fiance and I rescued him. He was very thin and his ears were in terrible condition, his ears had caked on mud that actually took off part of his fur and skin, as well as his eyes were constantly running and producing a yellow discharge..

Fast forward a few months and now he's a healthy 8 month husky! He loves his zoomies in the backyard and frequent trips to the park.. 

However as he gets healthier and stronger, so does his coat. Which has been causing my fiance severe allergies! 

We know that his allergies are to the dander our stormy is producing but we have no idea how to get it to slow down.. 

It's gotten so bad that now he has to stay outside (which only makes the dander and allergens worse). 

Is there anything we can do to help slow the dander? I know he can't be bathed very often and I don't want to do anything to damage his healthy coat or anything that might endanger him. 

We don't want to give him up, especially after we worked so hard to get him to be the healthy tummy rubbing doggie that he is now.. but since my fiance is having a hard time even breathing around him. I'm worried we may not have a choice.. 

Please help us figure a way to reduce his dander..?? 

20170509_093029.jpg

Hi, he's a lucky boy that you've both loved and cared for him. Some dogs can have sensitivities in their diet that can make them itch, if their itchy dander occurs, looking at his diet might help. If you are bathing him regularly a good shampoo to use is a good quality oatmeal shampoo it will stop his skin and fur drying out. Brushing daily outside with a soft brush will loosen the dander and if he allows you to you could try using a pet vacuum. Have you thought about supplements? If they're lacking in fatty acids this can make their skin dry, I use coconut oil, it makes their fur shiny and makes their skin healthier so less flaking, less dander. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Maybe a trip to the doctors to see if there is anything to help your fiance? Sometimes people with allergies build an immunity if exposed long term, I hope you find a solution it would be so sad for you to have to give up this beautiful puppy

Unfortunately huskies are probably one of the most heavy shedding dogs going, which I guess is exacerbating the problem.
It's particularly worse When they're blowing their coat (typically in the autumn and spring time). A warm bath and a good brush with an undercoat rake can help lift off some fur in one go, a dog blower can be really good at removing lots at once too (kind of like a reverse vacuum cleaner, lol).
Daily vacuuming the house, bedroom off limits to dogs, well ventilated areas and like Jo suggested maybe a trip to the doctors might help.

Try taking him to the groomers, as long as they understand that huskies can't be clipped! When Astros mum went to the groomer she hardly shed at all for a few weeks afterwards

Storm is already experiencing the off limits of the whole house. He's not allowed inside completely at this point. I use undercoat rakes and brush him daily for at least 20 minutes, but nothing seems to be working. He just finished blowing his coat so I definitely think that has to deal with my fiance getting worse. 

I'll definitely try the oil supplements for storm to see if that helps. 

I guess just ultimately I feel guilty that now he has to spend his life outside and wonder if that's fair to him. We provide him the best life we can and I don't want my storm to left outside, but my fiance cannot be in an enclosed spaces with him which means less car rides to the dog park. 

A bit harsh making the fiance stay outside - but totally understandable  :lol:

My other half has terrible asthma but she just puts up with it, takes her medication and ensures the tumbleweed fur from the 6 dogs is hoovered regularly - the stepdaughter's even worse, allergic to cats but insists on the cat sleeping on her bed (but takes her medication and goes blotchy every now and then!). I have no issues and regard the hair as extra insulation (and so doesn't need hoovering up!) - this does not go down well with either (and I reckon I'll be living outside soon :rolleyes:)

Huskys are out door dogs don't forget, mine sleep outside and come inside during the day for short periods but ultimately they are outside. They don't feel cold like we do, so unless u get blizzard like condition do t worry too much. Just make sure they have plenty of water sand shade for the summer months. I use a baby pool for them to play in to stay cool. They also have the whole under house to sleep under.
Though I will say one of the reason I got two was so they entertain each other and are less starved for attention. I walk them quite often and take them for rides as well but with two I worry about them less getting out or up to mischief. Hope this helps. Oh and oatmeal condition is wonderful for coats. Makes them so soft and huggable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've had my beautiful Storm since he was 9 weeks old.. my fiance and I rescued him. He was very thin and his ears were in terrible condition, his ears had caked on mud that actually took off part of his fur and skin, as well as his eyes were constantly running and producing a yellow discharge..

Fast forward a few months and now he's a healthy 8 month husky! He loves his zoomies in the backyard and frequent trips to the park.. 
However as he gets healthier and stronger, so does his coat. Which has been causing my fiance severe allergies! 
We know that his allergies are to the dander our stormy is producing but we have no idea how to get it to slow down.. 
It's gotten so bad that now he has to stay outside (which only makes the dander and allergens worse). 

Is there anything we can do to help slow the dander? I know he can't be bathed very often and I don't want to do anything to damage his healthy coat or anything that might endanger him. 
We don't want to give him up, especially after we worked so hard to get him to be the healthy tummy rubbing doggie that he is now.. but since my fiance is having a hard time even breathing around him. I'm worried we may not have a choice.. 
Please help us figure a way to reduce his dander..?? 
20170509_093029.thumb.jpg.b45a4148266184dc9c83b23b402ee3d1.jpg

I had the same problem with my brother, he will get hives all over his hands and chest, so definitely their food makes huge difference even with the shedding, I feed my dog frozen raw food, the allergies on my brother stopped a month after and the shedding its a lot less. So try it...

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! 

I really appreciate all the feedback !

We're currently working and making sure storm gets a good wipe down after playing in dirt and grass and other dogs! 

So far it seems to be working! 

I haven't had a chance to get the air purifier or the supplements, but I'm looking forward to keeping my baby! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2017 at 6:11 PM, Storm731 said:

Thank you all! 

I really appreciate all the feedback !

We're currently working and making sure storm gets a good wipe down after playing in dirt and grass and other dogs! 

So far it seems to be working! 

I haven't had a chance to get the air purifier or the supplements, but I'm looking forward to keeping my baby! 

still lol dont blame the husky there are over the counter pills or doctor persribed treatments to help with allergys so get the other half to try them rehoming is always the last thing to do

On 6/21/2017 at 9:12 AM, PaulG said:

still lol dont blame the husky there are over the counter pills or doctor persribed treatments to help with allergys so get the other half to try them rehoming is always the last thing to do

I understand that there are countless medications that are available for him, but that is not a solution we can try. 

Thank you for your suggestion.

Archived