Excessive panting and biting himself - Video

Steved222

I can't see the video but does he always have access to fresh water? Is he overweight? Is he too hot?

As for the biting - is he up to date with his vaccinations and flea treatments? Has he got a skin condition? Is any of his fur matted? Have you taken him to the vet to see if he has any allergies? Do you feed him a hypoallergenic food?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thank you so much for the responses!

@robke it's a monthly thing for baths.. and a daily, also for the shedding, just for a "relief" IMO for the gnawing at himself.

@Rachael_Astro yes to fresh water, I've even started to give him refrigerated bottled water :-) no, he's not overweight at all, but he does run around a lot with the new Siberian puppy.. but she has the opposite effect.. no heavy breathing/panting, etc.

So, we took him emergency care last night and was told that it could be a neurological issue.. he also said that it doesn't seems to be a skin issue because there is no blank patches of skin and signs of abrupt skin inflammation.  I was hoping for them to do some test to see anything for allergies.. but nothing was done but  listen to his heart and a good look at his body..  hypoallergenic food?  Suggestions?  Right now we have him on Origins.

AND yes, up to date with all vaccinations and flea treatments ..

i figured there would be issues with the video.. I will upload them to YouTube later tonight and post some other videos of what we're seeing.

Once again thank you for you time and advice.. it's so greatly appreciated!

Attached is a pic..  the left one.  😊

62E8402F-08EB-495D-9B4E-FA80A2B75CD5.JPG

monthly baths could be your problem then...mine get one once a year... remember to many baths takes the oil of their skin so it dries up and will start itching...

Aww he's lovely :)

Do you mean you feed him Orijen? If so that's a good food but I don't think it's hypoallergenic. The good quality ones I know of are Canagen (what I feed my dogs) and Acana

I agree with robke if the vet isnt finding a medical reason I would cut down the baths for sure. Kiana gets a soap and water bath once a year and only if she is dirty or extra smelly (monky likes to roll in fish guts lmao) other than that maybe twice a year just a warm soak for coat blow if it seems to be rough on her though most of her blows go smoothly without it. 

You can get pure salmon oil supplements for dogs, just a squirt in each meal, good for skin and coats and for their joints too

Archived