Hypercalcemia and Hypothyroidism/Hyperthyroidism

aronoiiel

Hi all! Eep its been um heh some time since I visited this lovely place! I cant believe how much this forum has goan and change! I was hoping someone here might have some insight into my Kiana's current medical issues. Long story short we wnet into our vet last thursday to see about getting her hips checked out as she is having some problems. Well we ended up getting some blood tests ran and got some not so fun surprises. My little bear has been hidi g a uti which she is now being treated for but also has high calcium and very low thyroid levels. She is pretty overweight not for lack of trying to shed the pounds and our vet thinks she has a thyroid problem. The calcium level is a mystery she has no tumors and her lymph system is fine. We did another calcium test today and her free calcium was normal. I really have no clue what to think about that. I have done some minor research on both and Im kind of confused. We go back next thursday to test her urine to make sure the antibiotics are working so i am going to ask more questions. I was curious if anyone else has had experience with this? She is eating kibble wellness core ocean she gets 1 and 2/3 cup a day with an afternoon snack of fresh veggies, fruits, or chicken. She is 7yrs old. Lets see we walk about a mile in the morning and maybe a half mile later ij the day or at night it depends on how her hips are feeling. She is on a glucosamine supplement with omega 3 and 6 and now she is on three medications for her current problems including an anti inflammatory, a pain med specific for nerve pain, and her antibiotics. I dont if any of that infor helps or not. It been a long year for us so far lol. Thanks in advance its nice sneaking back in here again and seeing so many still doing well!

Welcome back. [emoji3]
I think your vet would definitely know more than me but for what it's worth I think that hypothyroidism can in itself affect the calcium levels? If I'm right then getting control of the thyroid will hopefully have a knock on effect? I'm not sure if they're also treated separately or not, hypothyroidism though can be controlled by medication. Although it can affect any groups, it does seem to be one of the more common things that happen as they reach a more mature age. Oh and weight gain can be a sign too.
I don't have an in depth knowledge on these subjects though so can't really offer you specific advise to help unfortunately. [emoji17]
Hopefully someone else will have some direct experience and suggestions to help you [emoji846]

Edit: Forgot to mention hypothyroid is an under active thyroid and hyperthyroid is an overactive one. I have a slightly over active one myself that's how I know, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thank you for the reply ^_^ I forget to ask my vet so much when I am there I always get overlaoded with information -_- You deffinitely touched on somwthing I am going to ask to see if fhe calcium issue can be related to her thyroid issue. We hopefully can do her other thyroid test soon and hopefully get it figured out :/ I never could understand the difference between hypo and hyper thank you ^_^ 

Archived