alaskan klee kai??

jrzl

I don't know much about them to be honest, what I do know is that they are a new breed of dog, only around since late 1980's early 1990's (?)

However, some health conditions linked to the breed include:

• Juvenile Cataracts
  • Liver Disease
  • Extreme Shyness
  • Factor VII Deficiency
  • Pyometra
  • Luxating Patella
  • Cryptorchids
  • Cardiac Issues including PDA
  • Thyroid disease-including autoimmune thyroiditis

The breed may suffer from other health issues that have yet to be discovered because of the breeds relatively young age and small gene pool.

My wife and I discovered this breed a few years ago, when Elke (our first Husky) was still with us. We thought they would be a great addition, until we continued our research. We even found a breeder that lives about five minutes away from us. So I contacted them and visited them. They had some pups at the time. Funny thing, all the pups had different characteristics, one had real long legs, another had a huge head, and another had floppy ears with a small head. Price? $1500 each! Ouch. The problem with this, and so many other "new" breeds, is the shallow gene pool. It's almost impossible to breed with consistent results. The supporters of the breed have fractured into several camps, each with their own agenda. The breed has more differences than similarities with Siberian Huskies, although they have what similar in markings, at least from my observations. I know there are some who own them, and absolutely love them. And that's fine.

Guess you kinda got your questions answered from the above really LOL ..... So you stilll looking at a Husky? And if so how much you read up on the breed? Have a good read around the site as there is a lot of information on here that should help you in your decision. Oh, and welcome to husky owners :)

Guess you kinda got your questions answered from the above really LOL ..... So you stilll looking at a Husky? And if so how much you read up on the breed? Have a good read around the site as there is a lot of information on here that should help you in your decision. Oh, and welcome to husky owners :)

yeah im still wanting a husky, i wasnt really concidering a klee kai just wanted to know more about them. i've been researching getting a husky for around a year and a half. read lots of book and done lots of searching on the internet and talked to some owners and breeders. thanks for the advice :)

My wife and I discovered this breed a few years ago, when Elke (our first Husky) was still with us. We thought they would be a great addition, until we continued our research. We even found a breeder that lives about five minutes away from us. So I contacted them and visited them. They had some pups at the time. Funny thing, all the pups had different characteristics, one had real long legs, another had a huge head, and another had floppy ears with a small head. Price? $1500 each! Ouch. The problem with this, and so many other "new" breeds, is the shallow gene pool. It's almost impossible to breed with consistent results. The supporters of the breed have fractured into several camps, each with their own agenda. The breed has more differences than similarities with Siberian Huskies, although they have what similar in markings, at least from my observations. I know there are some who own them, and absolutely love them. And that's fine.

i found a few for sale in the uk. the price is a lot different over here!! they were £150 - £200 which is around $240 - $330!!

i found a few for sale in the uk. the price is a lot different over here!! they were £150 - £200 which is around $240 - $330!!

It may be that here in the US, the market will bear more. Also, last time we checked was before the financial crisis hit. Things may be different now.

yeah im still wanting a husky, i wasnt really concidering a klee kai just wanted to know more about them. i've been researching getting a husky for around a year and a half. read lots of book and done lots of searching on the internet and talked to some owners and breeders. thanks for the advice smile.gif

Hi Jrzl, welcome to the site!

If your looking at a husky and have researched the breed, check out our rehomes section, Terrysibe works for the Siberian Husky Welfare association and apparently has recently got loads in including pups! Do consider a rescue, there are soooo many out their in need of loving furever homes! unsure.gif

Hi Jrzl, welcome to the site!

If your looking at a husky and have researched the breed, check out our rehomes section, Terrysibe works for the Siberian Husky Welfare association and apparently has recently got loads in including pups! Do consider a rescue, there are soooo many out their in need of loving furever homes! unsure.gif

thanks for that! im going to have a look now :)

i would love to rehome a dog/pup

• 1 month later...

klee kais are a relatively newer breed and have a lot of associated health and temperment problems at the moment. they were bred down and people didnt worry about anything but the size and look. now they are tryig to get the temperment and health part back up. They are extremely expensive here i the US because they are a "rare new breed" and when demand is high and numbers are low they know they can ask an arm and a leg lol. i dont thing they will be fully healthy for a while(both health and temperment wise). plus their life span isnt all that great for a little dog.

yeah im still wanting a husky, i wasnt really concidering a klee kai just wanted to know more about them. i've been researching getting a husky for around a year and a half. read lots of book and done lots of searching on the internet and talked to some owners and breeders. thanks for the advice :)

Are you the same "jrzl" from chi people? I too want to get an AKK in the future and have joined an AKK forum. If you get more serious about the AKK or want more breed specific info you can talk to people on an AKK forum since the AKK is a bit different from Siberians, they are not just a smaller version of the sibe which you will want to take into consideration before deciding what you want.

Just a little warning, I have heard that klees have "little dog syndrome" meaning they are high strung and nervous.

I havent had one to be sure of that, but Im not really someone who would chance that. I like my big, fluffy, trouble-

maker dogs, lmao!

I wouldn't describe them as having little dog syndrome but they are more of a one person dog unlike Sibes which tend to love everyone. Some AKK's do tend to take longer to open up to strangers, although that can highly depend on socialization. As for being high strung, I could say that about a lot of huskies. ;) I've yet to hear anything negative about the AKK's on the forum I am on and in the majority of their characteristics they are very much like huskies.

I've never met a highly strung Sibe before :blink:

I think it has a lot to do with upbringing and lack of socialization but I have met plenty of high strung and scared, nervous huskies at some of our husky meet ups. It is really sad to see but not as rare as I would have expected. Many people make the same generalization about Chihuahuas and again, it's all about socialization and upbringing, and I can say that does not describe the vast majority of Chihuahuas I know, only a small handful...yet the stereotype persists based on the small few. :rolleyes: I'd hate for that to happen with the AKK's which it seems is already making it's way around based on previous posts in this thread. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I did a board & train with a Klee Kai 3 yrs ago. I really fell in love with her as an individual but overall the breed isnt for me, and they are nothing like Siberian Huskies at all. they are similar to many toy breeds--need heavy, thorough socialization from birth and maintained for life to be confident and social, and not fearful/yappy/nippy. the pup I worked with was a cuddler, loved playing with other dogs once she got to know them, and whip smart. really a ton of fun. she needed a lot of work on body handling though as the young girl she lived with would pick her up and hold her, grab her, etc, ALL the time, and she just didnt like that at all, so maybe not a breed for young kids (again, like many toy breeds). reminds me a lot of a chihuahua.

here she is at about 4 mos, with my 3 mo old sibe :) :

440959275_2dec4cbd42.jpg