Any good ideas/tips about how to train huskies to respond to their recall?

The Greeks

Hello everyone,

we have 2 white huskies, Aria and Apollo, who are 11 months now. We have been trying really hard with their training and they are getting better every day. However, getting them to come back to us when using their recall (i.e. 'come') is always a hit or miss. We can never be sure that they will respond and its clear that they choose when to. It is very stressful sometimes, especially when going to the park.  

Any good ideas/tips please let us know.

Thanks.

20170209_170105.jpg

yes keep them online or on a long lead or a enclosed off lead area...the prey drive is just to high and being stubborn just makes it a danger to keep them of lead...one day they might say stuff this running is much more fun...

Long leads, you can get up to 50 or 100 foot horse training leads, to keep them safely attached whilst giving them room to "explore"

however recall offlead in an unsecure area is notoriously unreliable, to the extent that ALL leading Husky Charities, Websites, Rehoming Centres etc

ALL stress never to let your Husky offlead.

There's a sticky topic in Main Chat about letting huskies off lead, it's worth a read as it explains the thousands of years of instinct of huskies making their own decision about whether they are going to listen and prey drive

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

dont let them off a lead to start with, huskys do not do recall

up to about 7 months of age husky may come back but once the hormones kick in and the dog starts to mature mentaly forget it you may be lucky and have one that will come back some times but the risk with the prey drive and indipendant nature kicking in could end up with you losing your dog or worse your dog kills livestock or other dogs and you end up with huge legal bills etc

A recall should always be taught specially in the case of emergencies , a long line is the best way to do this , but please never let them offlead unless in a fully enclosed area

We keep ours at a semi fenced in dog park (80% of the boundary is fenced) by food and constantly calling her when she wanders off. It's working so far worried though once she turns 1+ when her prey drive kicks in

Sent from my SM-G900I using Husky Owners mobile app

You might find it kicks in before a year old just to warn u lol
My girl was 14 weeks old when we got her n her prey drive was huge even then , my boys kicked in b4 a year old too

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I found it a little hard to accept my husky couldn't go off lead, as we've always had Labradors, Collies and Irish Wolfhounds, who all come back very well with training. But he is very happy pottering about on a 10 meter long line when we go to places like the beach! However I also do canicross with him as I feel I need to satisfy that urge to run and pull for him!

3 minutes ago, bandit98 said:

I found it a little hard to accept my husky couldn't go off lead, as we've always had Labradors, Collies and Irish Wolfhounds, who all come back very well with training. But he is very happy pottering about on a 10 meter long line when we go to places like the beach! However I also do canicross with him as I feel I need to satisfy that urge to run and pull for him!

same here always had GSD's  before...

We used the fenced in basketball courts at our local park and a pocket full of freeze dried chicken to teach ours recall. There were plenty of distractions but they were safe and unable to run off. I don't let them offlead in an unsecured place but like Nix said it's important to try to get an emergency recall established in case they break free from their harness, escape out the front door etc....accidents do happen from time to time.

www.successdogs.com. . Everything on there... teaching with fun creates bonding.. which creates a more focussed & listening dog towards you ... that will respond faster when you call them. Repetition every day keeps training ingrained. Stop a habit. . Bad ones creep in.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

And extra safety lines from harness to a spare collar; from collar to collar etc.. prevents that furkid escaping from a broken item - or slipped off because there's another linked line to something else!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

Many people would protest my tactic but it's worked for 6.5 years. The one command for which Sarah ALWAYS receives a treat is the Come command. The few times she's gotten away from me, I call COME and she immediately returns because she knows she'll be rewarded.

Of course I have to have treats in my pocket any time we're out and about but I'm okay with that.

ETA: Everyone else is correct, do everything you can to ensure your dogs don't escape. But sometimes stuff happens.

• 11 months later...

Archived