No guard coat

Jaxypuppy

I've seen a husky without a guard coat. (Not been shaved, it just didn't grow through). I asked about it here and someone said that there is a certain condition that some sibes can have that does mean they have no or limited guard hairs. Forget what it's called though.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

He's extremely soft! He's a little over a year when i adopted him a couple months ago. He almost immediately started blowing his coat so at the end i had him Furmanator treated at Petsmart and it removed the undercoat. A few days later he started losing fur on his back and a couple weeks later the guard coat is almost all gone and instead of orange fur he has this dark grey soft stuff. Hopefully his guard coat grows back so he's beautiful again. Some folks say their Huskies "roll over" their guard coat some times. Beats me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Husky Owners mobile app

hopefully the guard hairs will grow back...but this is a prime example why a furminator should not be used on a double coated dog...

Don't let a furminator attack your dog's coat. Not only can they damage the guard hairs, they can strip the guard hairs.  If the follicles remain with the guard hairs that are stripped, new guard hairs may not return.

Petsmart should know better IMO.
Never ever use ANY blades on husky fur.
I do hope the guard hairs grow back as these act against severe weather conditions and protect the more absorbent undercoat which is the 'eider down' to keep them warm in the harsh Arctic conditions. Whilst they will 'shed' their top guard hairs to some extent, this regrowth is in constant growing mode. The 'blow' is usually bi-annually and dependent on weather conditions so can fluctuate.
I leave it two weeks for my two in 'blow' to get 'established' before they go to groomers to be brushed, plucked, shampoo and dried with a final brush/rake through often individually as they occur at different times. Never shaved. 🤗[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

I'm guessing u can feel a difference more than see one? My wooly girl is a lot softer then my boy because obviously her undercoat is longer then her top coat

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

My Girl's more of a Woolly but her top coat is quite distinct to the undercoat.. I haven't ever seen an undercoat longer than a top coat tbh unless grooming has been missed out a lot.... ?

My Girl's more of a Woolly but her top coat is quite distinct to the undercoat.. I haven't ever seen an undercoat longer than a top coat tbh unless grooming has been missed out a lot.... ?

Skyla's undercoat is longer than her guard hairs in parts , she's a LOT softer then blaze and her undercoat is wavy/crimped not straight, everyone comments on her coat n how soft she is compared to blaze , she gets brushed as n when she needs it

Anyone on this forum who has met her will tell u just how soft her fur is n what a difference in appearance she has when she's shedding , every time she sheds n gets her coat back she looks different , she's not as fluffy this year as she was last lol

We all know when they blow their coats they shed the undercoat and leave the guard hairs (shedding some guard hairs but not many) this is the best pic I have which shows just how long her coat is when it's full to when she's just guard hair

dcb01010d6fe091aa27a5ca5d8edf782.jpg

What is a good brush to use for a shedding husky then? I am getting a puppy in two weeks!

I currently use a Mikki undercoat rake but it doesn't work on Astro's fur properly he gets big clumps on his back legs! I've just come across an EquiGroomer which is for horses but it looks really good! People use it for dogs too. Going to give that a go [emoji4]

You might not need to groom yours properly for a while but definitely do it anyway to get them used to the brush! When I brush my 9 month old rescue about 2 hairs come off him haha

Skyla's undercoat is longer than her guard hairs in parts , she's a LOT softer then blaze and her undercoat is wavy/crimped not straight, everyone comments on her coat n how soft she is compared to blaze , she gets brushed as n when she needs it

Anyone on this forum who has met her will tell u just how soft her fur is n what a difference in appearance she has when she's shedding , every time she sheds n gets her coat back she looks different , she's not as fluffy this year as she was last lol

We all know when they blow their coats they shed the undercoat and leave the guard hairs (shedding some guard hairs but not many) this is the best pic I have which shows just how long her coat is when it's full to when she's just guard hair

dcb01010d6fe091aa27a5ca5d8edf782.jpg

I haven't even met Skyla yet I can still tell people the difference too, lol. The picture on the left is how I'm used to seeing her but honestly she looks hardly recognisable at first glance when you post pictures of her in the summer. It's remarkable the amount of fur you brush from her, don't think I've ever seen so much, lol. Could knit an entire wardrobes worth of clothes from it. [emoji23]

Archived