Eating Rocks.

twarner85

Okay, so I know the title seems weird but please let me know anyone has experienced this aswell..

My Ace has been eating Rocks when we aren't around to catch him. We only know because twice now he has thrown them up. I am in the process of trying to get rid of all the rocks in my yard however that might be a long battle. He is only about 9 months old so I am hoping this is only a puppy thing.

We just increased his food and his toys. He doesn't chew anything else up at all. Is this something that I can correct and how?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Husky Owners mobile app

Definitely something u wanna stop so he doesn't end up with a blockage , only things I can suggest are to supervise him at all times when outside or train him to get used to a muzzle n muzzle him when he's out so he can't pick them up

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

Agree that maybe a basket muzzle might be easier than trying to remove all the rocks. Either that or you'll need to be with him every time he's out or sectioning off a part of the garden for him and just removing rocks from that part? Not even sure if that world work though as let's face it, As soon as he digs you're just gonna find more rocks [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I had a similar problem, the only solution for me was to slab my garden entirely and I got rid of everything that was a possible danger, I lost all of my lovely plants and trees, decorative stones and lights, they were all chew toys for them, but it's a small price to pay for the possible dangers to Cai and Luka. Positive reinforcement works well to. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I think it's a bad 'habit' that can be broken by muzzling with a kind basket muzzle.
Break the habit and they stop. Majority grow out of it however if a small stone gets stuck somewhere internally it can be lethal / or very costly, via vet!
My boy Chester was doing this before a year old although not swallowing .. but he was bringing stones indoors.
I removed them promptly saying ' No.. Leave!' and gave him a small frozen carrot, or a game of tug of war with his rope toy.
I did muzzle him during periods I couldn't watch him 100% doing stuff in house, boat or caravan/car.
He got over it fast and no further issues.
Play time together even 5 minutes .. or even some training time is much better .. and I thought this might be a boredom thing too.
www.successdogs.com 🤗

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

You are lucky the rocks have been thrown up. I would muzzle the pup when outside. A small rock that passes from the stomach can lodge in the intestine. If that happens, you will need to get your dog to a vet very quickly.  Surgery is often the only option. 

Archived