Guard coat loss

Jaxypuppy

d08b901db7c1d1a02fab03ffce36cdda.jpg

After blowing his undercoat Jax has lost 98% of his guard coat too.. I've only seen one person say anything about puppies shedding their full puppy coat at a little over a year old but I guess that's what he's doing. Is this normal that he's shed his outer coat and how long until he grows a new one I wonder. Any feedback at all would be great y'all thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Husky Owners mobile app

He feels amazing like all he is is pure soft undercoat right now too by the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Husky Owners mobile app

Every dog is different. Ours are short hair Huskies. On the two we've had since pups, the old guard hairs left as the new guard hairs appeared.  That happened somewhere between ten and twelve months on one, and between nine and ten months on the other.  If you were to furrow down to the skin, you may see the new guard hairs coming in.

Nikko's coat did change a lot around 1 year of age.  He never blew his coat until he was older.  From the picture his coat looks pretty good, but like Mazz said every dog is different

Furminators be d***d. They both damage the guard hairs and they can strip the guard hairs.  Not a good grooming tool for a Husky.

6 hours ago, Bander52002 said:

My husky turned a year old in December and her fur has been coming out since then. No matter how much I brush Ghost it just keeps coming out in clumps. 

nice full blown then LOLOL  just do not use a furminator..use a undercoat rake or a blaster...

• 4 weeks later...

I rarely notice Tsunami shedding his guard hairs, unlike his undercoat that takes weeeeeks and goes all over the place, but Smokey sheds guard hairs like a Labrador does! She blows her undercoat in a week or two, but its guard hairs everywhere for weeks! She has short hair and a very thin undercoat so maybe has something to do with that...

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Husky Owners mobile app

Ooo all this talk of blowing coats after a year old, Amy (10 months) doesn't shed at all even when brushed and we foolishly thought we may get away with it.......now it seems we have that to look forward to ha ha wait til I tel OH!! [emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Ooo all this talk of blowing coats after a year old, Amy (10 months) doesn't shed at all even when brushed and we foolishly thought we may get away with it.......now it seems we have that to look forward to ha ha wait til I tel OH!! [emoji15][emoji15]

Kodas 10 months too and I'm lucky to get 4 hairs off him when I brush him [emoji23] Astro on the other hand...

9c819d07d5ccb6a7f4c2392cdf49f270.jpg

Archived