Training for fun on carts.

chelseafan

Don't panic over rig's. . It's getting warmer now and even October isn't that cool yet. Get walking harnesses, lines ... clips.. canibelt/s.. leads. Have Dixie's wotk gloves if small enough or old leather ones for 'dogs' - nowt worse than fabric burns if they slip through your fingers at speed in Zoomies.. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

Ooh forgot LED light-up collars.. Gr8 fir night walks!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, i think you've covered everything there, a great help! I'm ordering what I need next week and I'm planning to suit up the boys, (Cai and Luka) and practice commands on foot, on the cooler nights I plan to run Cai with my bicycle, practicing commands and then with Luka, he'll need more as he's easily distracted. Once I get going on the bike with them, how long should I do to begin with and do I need to walk him before the bike run as a warm up?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Getting commands firmly & gently into Cai - repetively over and over is awfully important
... ignore what he does wrong and wait patiently until he gets even a titchy bit close to doing what you ask..rewarding with praise & treat immediately.. within three seconds. He's so young.. but the fun to learn .. and please you helps to ground him with your patience and trust in him.
Do check temps.. daily. High humidity and T over 11°C is borderline.. but if cooler with a colder wind.. try.. max 10-15 mins. Then 'walk on.. steady' until breathing eases and maybe another 5 mins max. Walking home or steady trot - not pushing is by far better than flat out sprints at this stage.
Build stamina, tolerance and strength..and heart and muscles; no different for a newbie or experienced one training for a half/or full marathon.
You can do evenings with good head/bike lights - & flashing LED collars.

Pls always have another 'buddy' with you.

Be seen - be safe even a hi-viz vest with "Dogs in Training" on it.... and keep that 'suicide line' from Cai or both to you always. If you separate from bike you must have that safety connection.

Evening outings contact into summer and after 20:00 hours most temps reach an 'ok' level.. but some nights just have to remain as a long steady walk only.

Young dogs have ADH - THEY'RE JUST KIDS! If it's never taken to task it becomes a habit. Pain teaches hard lessons so no pain. .but firm removal of fun and reward when good - they'll try all tricks to get you to 'reward' them with a treat.. make it your job to guide them.. Doing the right thing' .. same as for your own lads. xxx

Maz51 pretty much said it all, haha!
i personally use the tug-n-tow http://www.tugntowbikeleash.com/ 
Its great for newbies because it takes care of the rope so you can pay attention to training more. It attaches to your bike so its ready to go. I use that and a leash for training as some times they wont listen or forget to stay to my right side of the bike where i like them. So i lightly nudge them the other way. You dont let them pull on it, its their for reminders and training. 
It took me and my first dog a few months to figure out what we were supposed to do and how to do it. Now, together we are flawless. Went to add another dog in the mix....square one again haha! Now he wont take directions. He lets my youngest do it! Shes a good listener and learning fast because i know what im doing more and my oldest some times helps.
Figure out who will be the listening leader and teach them left and right commands before going.
Once you are going. On calm streets and with no people or cars to distract them. Teach them stopping commands by doing it at each cross way. This is something after a year of trying i got my oldest to understand. I found that using marker like a cross walk helped. Once they are stopped make sure they dont walk forward or else you repeat the command. If they walk to you thats ok but not away. This is stop as in no more forward. 
To go again tell them "lets go" or what ever command your using to tell them GO
If they get distracted call their name and tell them NO or the GO command to remind them to move forward. Praise them every time they keep walking forward and not to the distraction such as a person walking by or a squirrel. Personally i would do the same block or path you pick for quite a while till your convinced they are ready for a new path. my oldest can go onto any path while my youngest gets sniff crazy and distracted on new paths. Oh, puppies~
https://alpineoutfitters.net/Scripts/default.asp i just got a harness from them recently. Alot of people use their harnesses, i think they are pretty good. But i should have gotten a custom harness as my dogs like to walk side by side and it drags the harness in a odd way. They also have gear to help hook up and attach your dogs properly 

Can you hook up to their harness at shoulder or is this a pulling harness that extends to over their back bear tail? The shoulder "H" harness from Hooner's is the best for both pulling and what you do w/o pulling them sideways.. this can poss hurt their spines and hips..
I learnt to alternate my harnesses on my two - bit like changing a pair of shoes...on an otherwise pair of tired feet. Changes the stresses and strains on joints. 🤗

I think I'll be doing more command training and concentrate on getting this right for a while, baby steps, remind myself! I don't want to rush them into anything before they're ready. There's a lot for me to learn as well, but it's great getting all of the advice as it's coming together in my head the things I need to consider, the weather, places to cycle for safety, what I need to take with me, thanks to all!

One more thing outside temp...I have a rule that once it is 13 cel outside no running anymore same if the sun is shining to hot...even if it is less then 13 cel.

Can you hook up to their harness at shoulder or is this a pulling harness that extends to over their back bear tail? The shoulder "H" harness from Hooner's is the best for both pulling and what you do w/o pulling them sideways.. this can poss hurt their spines and hips..
I learnt to alternate my harnesses on my two - bit like changing a pair of shoes...on an otherwise pair of tired feet. Changes the stresses and strains on joints. 🤗

It's a X back harness that goes to their tail. It's not a problem when it's just him. Only when it's two of them together.
It's just if they slow down and are closer to my bike it twists and when my youngest wants to run left away from the trail because I'm still training her to not be randomly doing that....
I have my smallest one on a different type of harness because she still growing and it shifts too.
I need one that has hooks on the sides rather than the top of the back. I trained them to be on my right so they are not in traffic when I walk them around town. There is rarely any cars when I take them out but I want them safe encase someone forgets to give me space.
I got the xback because I thought it would help him pull...it does when it's just him. I can't use it when it's the two.
I'll try and look up that H harness as springs coming and I might need it

Sent from my HTCD100LVW using Husky Owners mobile app

Hmm.the X back is designed to pull evenly on their torso with the pull directly from front chest, shoulders and alongside ribs to rear waist behind these. The tension sideways as you describe could def affect their skeletal & musculature with any twisting. Def go for an 'H harness as this centers on front chest and upper body tension only.. not spine. Good luck. 🤗

One more thing outside temp...I have a rule that once it is 13 cel outside no running anymore same if the sun is shining to hot...even if it is less then 13 cel.

Rob is absolutely spot on.

Sibes can disperse body heat much faster being small and can cruise pretty fast over long long distances in bigger teams too; Malamutes don't.. but are bigger in body mass so 'cruising' at around 8-12mph is about right to stay cool on long journeys hauling freight stuff and can manage longish distances too. 🤗

Thanks, the vet was happy with him, he's not fat at all but he's big! I know sibes aren't that tall but Luka is and he gets plenty of exercise!
His mum was tall and long and he was the biggest pup, one of 9! I'll check him against that later.

Easily.. Sibes just don't grow that big! So 40kg is a good start.. but follow the guide I posted.
Closed fist with spine like knuckles - too thin..
Open palm and knuckles' feel about right to match the spine.
Not too much loose skin.. he will broaden out at three.. xx

Only 11 moths.. lol. He still has some more growing to come but hopefully it will be slower.
I thought Chester had stopped at 11 months but at four, now, I THINK he's def stopped. d6133806d051a4b3aa7b241ef61c08a5.jpg April 2014
5947df7fd64dfca76638a7e498e69585.jpg April 2013 he's seven months here

7f6b53fd351a377002c5dcaff2db5c38.jpg

Not really...

Only 11 moths.. lol. He still has some more growing to come but hopefully it will be slower.
I thought Chester had stopped at 11 months but at four, now, I THINK he's def stopped. d6133806d051a4b3aa7b241ef61c08a5.jpg April 2014

7f6b53fd351a377002c5dcaff2db5c38.jpg This is in 2014
2debc834ed8bcdb9f4bb87a950864e69.jpg at Conwy last year.. I'm 5'6"+ (used to be 5'7"3/4.. shrunk!

7f6b53fd351a377002c5dcaff2db5c38.jpg

2587d5647200af5af8df303bb0c91f02.jpg65f50e69395cc44cc244a0f6ca071cdf.jpg

2587d5647200af5af8df303bb0c91f02.jpg65f50e69395cc44cc244a0f6ca071cdf.jpg

749042c6e5e1e338dac78d4d22c248af.jpg

This was Luka at 11 weeks.

That's Luka this morning, and the face pic was last week on the train.
I've had both since they were 8 weeks old, and as Luka's getting older I'm noticing a few differences between the two, not that it matters if he is sibe x mal, but if I knew then I wouldn't have worried unnecessarily, I was taking him to the vets for weight checks, wondering why he was growing at such a rapid rate compared to Cai, they both eat the same amount.
Luka's breeder lives in Norfolk and I had alot of contact before I picked him up. Mum and dad are family pets, but I didn't see dad, just pics, he was a rescue, mum's a sibe, maybe his dad is a cross.
I've been researching Mal's, I've looked at photo's on google images and Luka's size and build look more in line with a Mal. What do you think about his face pic? x

He's lovely. Looks like he still has lots of growing INTO his ears. I'd almost say some GSD or other nordic breed and only a DNA test will tell you positively what's in his dna.
But if you're not breeding then hey.. he's
gorgeous anyway.
Keep on with your training - as updates and maintaining this is vital for continual connection with your dogs.
'Deafness' can occur anywhere from 11 months & prey drive just increases....
Keep secure and on leads.

Thanks, I've had interest for the future about breeding with Luka, not 100% about that anyway with the amount of dogs that are re-homed, but I think I'd need a DNA test if I ever do, I wouldn't try and fool anyone.He's an amazing dog, the deafness has begun already, they're not naughty just selective! I work on the basis that people are truthful until you know they're not, I'm 50 now and it's still disappointing when people fool you
Always safe, I'm a little paranoid and do the 'what if' situations. x

Thanks, I've had interest for the future about breeding with Luka, not 100% about that anyway with the amount of dogs that are re-homed, but I think I'd need a DNA test if I ever do, I wouldn't try and fool anyone.He's an amazing dog, the deafness has begun already, they're not naughty just selective! I work on the basis that people are truthful until you know they're not, I'm 50 now and it's still disappointing when people fool you
Always safe, I'm a little paranoid and do the 'what if' situations. x

77cb867777161b16a345c8d00ac1206e.jpg

Luka after his early morning run and still shedding!

My Go Pro camera is a Buyee - the waterproof case clip is really fragile so after breaking two I keep them closed with an elastic band - I'm not intending to go diving with it but at least it keeps it waterproof and protected. I bought separately a chest harness but I can use it attached to screen connector I my car, or on my Mobility scooter - but this will now go onto my Pawtrekker Scooter or my Rig as and when I use them. I didn't like the helmet attachment as it just rattled despite my trying to tighten it on.

Getting it adjusted to 'see' what you want to see takes a few goes.. trial and error. My first one just showed me two pairs of heels in front of my rig!

Bought it on Amazon. Brilliant little camera and not expensive.  Remember to get a bigger memory card eg 32GB; you might be able to do it while on line or order online elsewhere.  When it's In the case you only have video or camera choice - preset. but you can edit to one shot frames or a few, if on video. You can then edit frame by frame once downloading onto PC/laptop.. NB it takes an age to load onto fb - so go make a cuppa - or do the ironing! lol

You are doing so well - keep it up!

Maz

Ref breeding - unless you know exactly what yours are in genetics and clear of any bad faults re dna or genetic inherited traits don't breed.  There are a few thousand huskies that get discarde every month whether for birthday presents or Christmas or other because ..PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TAKING ON! This is not a dog for anyone thinking of a past terrier or smaller or even big slow dog.  They are so highly intelligent and it is heart breaking - literally.  They among the highest nmbr of breed specific ie Husky - that get discarded or abandoned because ppl cannot or will not put in any effort whatsoever to TRAIN them ...  and excuses run from - my landlord won't let me have one in my new home - so why didn't they research for one that would? My wife's having a baby - so why not keep the baby you took on first? - or, my wife's having another baby - so . duh - what's changing?? - I cannot cope with the fur - so why didn't you research this breed first - and it goes on.. and on. pathetic.

If my hubby made me choose - guess who'd be leaving?!  He knows - (clever boy!) lol.

When I told my other half I was thinking about getting a husky, his arguments ranged from, no you're not, to I won't be walking it with you, still undeterred. What he didn't know was they are a breed I've loved since I was a child and I've waited over 25 years to have them, I've had to wait until I can give them the time they need, and I love every minute of it. It's heartbreaking seeing local Husky's tied up in the garden because no ones home all day, no wonder they try to escape.
I was walking Cai and Luka in town and a couple approached me, Luka was only 8 months old, they asked me would I be interested in breeding him, he was obviously too young but we've kept in touch.
There are too many downsides with breeding really, who'd have the pups, are the new owners caring for them properly etc and the biggest problem, will they be re-homed.
My other half complains now and again about how they've changed our lives and I say ..... yes, for the better!!
If you really love something nothing is too much trouble, that's the way I see it.

I ordered a few items from Snowpaw store yesterday and it's in its way! It's more exciting than ordering a new pair of shoes.

Archived