Letting them run

Blaise

I know that you can't just let a husky run free, so how do you satisfy their need to run/explore?
Luckily we have a really big backyard and Blaise loves to run around it with the kids. 
We took a walk the other day and went onto a little wooded path and Blaise wanted to just take off so badly! I was trying to think and wondered if people sometimes just get a really long line and let them go as far as it will let them. But then I thought it could really get tangled in trees and things.
Any suggestions?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tennis/basketball courts in my local park have nice high fences and gates you can shut

there are also now dog centres where you can hire a secure run for your self or share with other dogs

My husky puppy is just over 3 months old and when i take her for a walk around the local park at night, i let go of the lead n she comes around the entire park with me, never ran off yet comes back eventually (with the help of some treats) but never runs too far so that she can't see me! I aim to eventually be able to let her of in the day but at the minute, she is to obsessed with every other dog and person. I took her round the woods today and did the same just grabbing the lead everytime theres another person coming, just thought i would share, hope this gives you hope :)

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Yep mine have never been off the lead, Astro's sisters owners used to let her off lead but at around 18 months old she started to not come back and she ran off once, they found her a mile away in a field! And their dad was 6 when he ran off and was shot by a farmer. You are responsible for your dog, you know instinct could kick in at any time so if they run off and get hurt that will be your fault

5 minutes ago, my1sthusky said:

Well that gives me hope but also i am a good runner and quite tall, so can cover ground quickly if needs be haha

I can tell you now that you will never run as fast as a husky at full pelt...LOLOL

Just now, my1sthusky said:

I have no belief that i will ever be able to but atleast i can shout people to GRAB THAT DOG!!! Lololol

yes off course you can or and let's be real shout and hope the car/truck/bus stops in time....

I have no belief that i will ever be able to but atleast i can shout people to GRAB THAT DOG!!! Lololol

Trust me, it's not worth the risk

Ok i obviously already know that i was just trying to make the conversation a little bit lighter so we didnt talk about dogs getting killed or shot....

That's the reality of letting a husky off lead unfortunately! You might not like it but it's true, not much you can do to fluff up the situation

Yep mine have never been off the lead, Astro's sisters owners used to let her off lead but at around 18 months old she started to not come back and she ran off once, they found her a mile away in a field! And their dad was 6 when he ran off and was shot by a farmer. You are responsible for your dog, you know instinct could kick in at any time so if they run off and get hurt that will be your fault

I understand what you are saying but i live in a town in england where people will not shoot a dog for being in their field or do people have access to guns, if it ever got to that point... im sorry to hear that you live in a place with such horrible people with easy access to guns

Just now, my1sthusky said:

Ok i obviously already know that i was just trying to make the conversation a little bit lighter so we didnt talk about dogs getting killed or shot....

but it is real happened only last week when a Husky on the loose killed lambs in England...it happens it is good that they know a recall but in reality it happens every day all over the world...do not get fooled is what I say...I would love to let my 2 off but instead I use a long line I also have a welsh springer spaniel that can be offlead and I just will not...

I understand what you are saying but i live in a town in england where people will not shoot a dog for being in their field or do people have access to guns, if it ever got to that point... im sorry to hear that you live in a place with such horrible people with easy access to guns

I live in Wales so not far away!! Farmers have every right to shoot a dog. Pop husky shot by farmer into Google and literally hundreds of stories will come up, most of them in England

but it is real happened only last week when a Husky on the loose killed lambs in England...it happens it is good that they know a recall but in reality it happens every day all over the world...do not get fooled is what I say...I would love to let my 2 off but instead I use a long line I also have a welsh springer spaniel that can be offlead and I just will not...

Like i say i do understand completely what your saying and when its get to that point it is obviously a very serious matter, everybody just hopes (including myself) that it will never come to that! I know very little about huskys i open and welcome to any advice given

Like i say i do understand completely what your saying and when its get to that point it is obviously a very serious matter, everybody just hopes (including myself) that it will never come to that! I know very little about huskys i open and welcome to any advice given

You can't just 'hope it won't come to that!' There's an excellent article about letting huskies off lead on the Sibes and Sled Dogs website, I suggest you read it

I live in a town too. On the one hand it's good that there's not much in the way of livestock but on the other hand you're talking about the dangers being vehicles instead.
I knew a group of people who used to let their huskies off lead for some fun in the park. It was all fine and good for about two years until one day they caught the scent of something and boom! Off they went straight out the park and into the road. One of the dogs got run over and although he survived, he'd broken a fair few bones and it was a very long road to recovery.
Quite often I get asked why mine are on lead and I try to explain about their habit of running off when the fancy takes them. "No different to any other dog" I've been told. Well obviously firstly that regular dog is not trained properly which means it shouldn't be offlead anyway which is an argument in itself but ignoring that for a bit. A regular untrained dog is a little sod, running around the park and annoying other people but that's about it. When a husky decides to take off it's totally different, you really have to see it. They take off at lightning speed in one direction and they keep going without looking back! Out of the park, across town, into the neighbouring town, sometimes further. I've seen it happen before to someone else's dog on a walk. They got free and were literally found about two towns over less than an hour later, thankfully unharmed. It was truly shocking.

The way I tell the onlead/offlead scenario is of a mate who lives in the 'States. Has 3 Huskies, all raised from pups, all equally trained in recall and 2 he can never, ever let off and 1 he never has to put on. All down to the individual dog and how biddable they are. Sadly, many think it's just about training and that their dog is that dog that'll always return - sadly, we've been out helping find dogs that have run off. Even sadder, we've not found them before tragedy has struck

I've a boy, 11+ years old, had terrible SA and still suffers. He's got off and just run - luckily in a very rural area (little traffic) and known to be owned by me by the local farmers (so less risk of him being shot). Needless to say, none of our 6 are let off (except the German), unless in the garden (6 foot fence) or a secure area (which we visit regularly)

_MG_0735FB.jpg

Personally, my Siberian husky is quite lucky, he has two play mates who tire him out a lot and we have a large fenced garden, and quite a lot of fields for livestock which we let them out in. I've been very lucky, in that he isn't an escape artist and also, does come back for treats, he just takes his time and luckily never goes too far. I also do canicross with him!

I would never let my huskys of the lead they are my babies and just like my children I would not put them in a situation were something could hurt them I take mine out 4 times a day separately and I have a treadmill at hope my eldest one loves it

On 2/15/2017 at 2:52 PM, robke said:

at the moment she will at only 3 months old...not a high prey drive yet...

Mine's 10 weeks old, 100% time on leash outside, but literally every single day (multiple times, actually), I experience a sub-split-second take-off, usually when I'm in the middle of a blink, so before I can actually see that she fired up all 16 cylinders (on top of firing the Aries rocket second-stage), my hand is catapulted in the currently-random direction.

All of that happening about 10-15 meters from a road (e.g. about less than a half second worth of distance for her, really). I'm very worried the leash will slip out of my hand, one of these days, as she often just lies quietly on the ground (so, you don't hold the leash so strong for a while), then I accidentally blink, and before my eyes are open (takes a slow-motion 0.1 second), she took off (in totally random direction). Especially when it's raining.

There's, literally, sub-zero doubt in my mind, that should she free herself of the leash, I'd have a chance of finding here alive.

Now, if that is not a high prey drive yet, I don't know what is.  I'm a big guy, so I don't worry I won't have the strength to hold her when she grows up. Slipping however has zero correlation to strength.

But, I guess it's time to start thinking of some harness, perhaps ? Just so she's 100% safe and my hands are free ?

Archived