Howling when left alone for short time

Alanajo

Hi there, we have a 9 week old Siberian and she was introduced to our home two days ago. She has not yet learned how to use her puppy pads and hasn't had her vaccinations so we can't let her out  to go to the toilet yet. This means that we have to keep an eye on her at all times in case she goes on the carpet. When we can't keep an eye on her or we are busy, we put her in the conservatory (which we have carpeted with puppy pads!) her cage, bad and blankets are I in here too so we are trying to make it her 'den' area and she likes it but if we shut the door as we have to and walk away for even just an hour or so she howls and screams and scratches until you come back. I know that it is done because she knows if she yells loud enough she will be let out and we have been ignoring her and firmly telling her 'no', but i need to know if we are doing the right thing and how we can train her to be more comfortable with being left alone for short periods of time. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

IMG_5153.JPG

Hi I don't no about others but we left toys out and radio on for shadow and that seems to work

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Husky Owners mobile app

My vet had told us also shadow was OK going out to toilet in our back garden as for the pads shadow was good she went straight to them to use them

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Husky Owners mobile app

Hi have you got a back garden for her to go to the toilet in? Puppy pads aren't the best as they learn its ok to toilet indoors!

As for howling unfortunately there's not much you can do apart from start with short periods of time and gradually build up the time, Astro was about 18 months to 2 years old before he stopped howling

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Just like human beings, huskies have different temperaments and different levels of emotional needs. Meaning, some are more needy than others.

That being said, even a strong alpha male will howl and talk back (just to show you that you may happen to be his master, but he's still gonna have last word).

The dog, however, must eventually learn how to be with just himself - for extended periods of time. Like mentioned above - start with ,say, 10-15 minutes, and keep prolonging the intervals.

Archived