Spaying Standard or Keyhole Surgery?

ZachAttack

I will be getting my girl spayed this year after her next season. She is a rescue and will be 3 soon. I bumped into a keendog enthusiast the other day who was pleased to tell me about keyhole surgery whilst spaying instead of traditional slice and dice methods. I was very interested in this type of surgery as it means less time to recover for my hyperactive girl but upon reading another post on a different forum I am now unsure as this person said more could go wrong during keyhole surgery because the vet cannot clearly see what they are doing as much as they could with normal spaying.

Has anyone on here had experience with keyhole surgery? It is more attractive as keeping my dog under control for 2 weeks will be extremely difficult but obviously I will put her first

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Husky Owners mobile app

Bindi was supposed to have keyhole surgery but because the vet saw something he did not like (first signs of cancer) he had to do it the normal way to get rid of this as well... otherwise it would have been keyhole all the way...

me personally I would speak to my vet and get the pros and cons from them so that I would feel at ease with whatever surgery I would do...and if I still feel not at ease with that I would to another vet and speak to them...

As a former OR nurse I've seen huge benefits from post op in keyhole surgery. Discuss with your vet by all means.. it may take a bit longer however healing time is very much shorter. The harmless gases they put in to create visual access & room are pretty much dispelled but like in humans, some distension may show post op and will dispel over the next 7-10 days.
Recovery time re anaesthetic will be up to 5-7 days to work it's way out of the system so they may be not hungry, a little thirsty and will eat when everything has 'woken up' (gastric and kidneys) once they've pee'd the stomach may take a bit longer before they want to eat and if they do yuk food up don't worry; full gastric function varies in all of us.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all your replies guys. Sorry for the late response. She is a slim dog so its good to know that it is easier to perform on slimmer dogs. I am currently with Vetsforpets, I am not sure they offer keyhole surgery but i will ask as she has a checkup in a couple of weeks. Paul G does this mean she might put a bit of weight on post op? Not that im worried as she could do with some meat on her bless her 

^4C2811B073674BEC7213E3995A975C06AD3CDB77960448D6DE^pimgpsh_thumbnail_win_distr.jpg

12 minutes ago, robke said:

some dogs do put weight on after the op...Bindi did not,,,it is just a case of keeping an eye on it,,,

Thats not necessarily a bad thing though is it if she puts weight on? She currently only weighs around 54lbs. My boy weighs 60lbs

Keyhole surgery has lights on end of scopes. They also put in a safe gas to inflate the cavity in which they are working. It may be a bit tighter / restrictive and it may take a bit longer under anaesthetic but, two - maybe three holes are a heck of a lot less traumatic than a long incision to open up the whole area and small incisions just make it harder for the vet to get their hands INTO the lower abdomen so more stretching, pulling and, trauma. Keyhole has far less after problems. It can take a week or two to get anaesthetic gas out of the system and for the inflation gases to disperse too.
Patients may not want to eat post op - and shouldn't really have much until
a) they pass urine
B) keep water and a very light snack down (light scrambled egg on toast)
Appetite varies post-op so don't worry; the gastric systems takes a bit of time to kick back in to holding and digesting food.

I'm a retired theatre nurse, anaesthetic nurse, recovery and multi- disciplinary ward/department nurse. [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Archived