Sign in to follow this  
MyMy16

New Owner

Hi everyone. Im new to the group and a new husky owner. My puppy Mya will be 12 weeks in 3 days. She weighs 20lbs. She is gaining 2 - 2.5lbs a week. My vet and a few other husky owners say she has to be atleast part malamute as big as she is getting so quickly. Is it unusual for a husky to be larger than breed standard?

HO Welcome.jpg  TO  HO Banner.png

Hello and welcome.  I don't think it is unusual for them to be  a little bigger than breed standard.  My male was about 16lbs at 10 weeks old, so a female her size does sound pretty big for the age.  Did you get her from a someone saying she was full blooded husky?  I have seen females as small as around 30lbs and as big as 60lbs and up. 

• Like 1

Yes I did. I saw mother and father and even have her papers with past blood lines. The first picture she was 5 weeks and the other 2 she was 10 weeks

FB_IMG_1480022915486.jpg

20170107_102419.jpg

20170107_102506.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it,, we learnt people are a bit negative in commenting about how big huskies should be, they can't be let off a lead ever,, tummies are sensitive etc etc, we done opposite and our female Siberian huskie has stopped growing around18 months we noticed, we give her lots of exercise, and she weighs in at 24kg, and is just muscle. Go with your heart and she will be a beautiful friend unconditional .. Oh and we let Lilly off lead have done since puppy and she has never left us as yet, she gets distracted,, but soon looks back to see where I am.. She is nearly 3 now e61bb66975da1e09179a25809b821c98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

c829c58f291efa9f45b91c9141981b7f.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it,, we learnt people are a bit negative in commenting about how big huskies should be, they can't be let off a lead ever,, tummies are sensitive etc etc, we done opposite and our female Siberian huskie has stopped growing around18 months we noticed, we give her lots of exercise, and she weighs in at 24kg, and is just muscle. Go with your heart and she will be a beautiful friend unconditional .. Oh and we let Lilly off lead have done since puppy and she has never left us as yet, she gets distracted,, but soon looks back to see where I am.. She is nearly 3 now e61bb66975da1e09179a25809b821c98.jpg

c829c58f291efa9f45b91c9141981b7f.jpg

Just a friendly word of advice, my dogs dad was 6 when he ran off and was shot dead by a farmer, instinct to run can kick in at any time.

However I'm not going to spam about being off lead as the topic starter hasn't asked about that, if you would like advice there's lots of topics on off lead there's plenty of topics on here