4 month old - continuous loose stool since 8 weeks

ILoveMyHusky

am having the same problem here i tried everything !! the vet told me to give him rise and potato and yogurt mixed together for 2 days and he gave him a multivitamin shot and he hasn't gotten any better his energy level is normal he's acting normal but this stool problem is scaring me !! he is 3 months now and am new parent i dont know what to do more i checked multiply vet each one is saying a different thing that the other !! so plz if someone can help me figure this out  

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I have two 3 month olds. Have had them since 7 weeks. I think I may have gotten them both to have solid stool for 3 days out of that time. LOL

I completely stressed! I became a poop  fanatic. 

Reseaching it scared me. OMG is it because they ate something and could not pass it, am I feeding them too much, are they having an allergic reaction to their food or something that they came in contact with, or is it some type of worms.....

Spent a lot of money on test. No worms, yes the boy is eating stuff that is dangerous (blanket pieces, mulch, stomach full of sand, hot wing bone whole)... but the vet said that was not the cause....and the female who is not the Hoover is having runs too.

I am talking  squirting about a foot out and makes  noises!!! The OMG my dog's butt has exploded!

My first concern is dehydration. (I have not found the need) but there is puppy  Pedialyte. I have also cut back the food- skip a meal.(the boy hatted it) but did get him solid.

Since my boy is a Hoover I do feed him a mix of pumpkin, chicken, rice, with his dry food to help pass what he eats. With him it does cause  diarrhea. The female has no issue with it. But she will have diarrhea if she eats the cat food. Which is every chance she gets.

Check to see if there is something simple he got into. Cat food, eating soil, or sometype of plant in the yard. Is he eating neighbor's grass (could be  fertilizer). 

I am so used to mine having diarrhea I don't even think about it anymore. But try actually skipping a meal. Let the stomach settle. (If he is of good weight and health other wise and check with the vet first)

But that normally works with mine

Biggest and biggest problem with loose stools on huskies is...Overfeeding not only their normal food but think of the extra bit as well treats etc...

This was my original post, but he's not a puppy anymore, he's almost 2 years old now lol. 

I tried everything with him back then. Nothing really worked fully. I did find that the boiled ground beef and rice was the best option (for mine, each dog is different). After I fed him just that for a while, then I gradually mixed his food into it, very very slowly, don't rush it.

What I ended up settling on for food for him is Canidae Grain Free Pure Sea (which is Salmon based). I eliminated ALL chicken products, from treats and everything. I still will not give him anything with chicken. I have to read the ingredients on all treats, because chicken is in almost all of them. Even treats that claim to be a different flavor, 9 times out of 10, there is some type of chicken in it. 

At first even after the boiled ground beef and rice, his poop wasn't exactly what I'd call firm. It was not as runny though. There was nothing wrong with him. I had brought him to the vet quite a few times. Had tests done. He was perfectly healthy, active, growing properly. His poop even though when it was runny, he didn't have a problem controlling himself, he never had accidents in the house, so I just stuck with what I was doing, and I guess either his body adjusted or he grew out of it maybe (because I see this question asked a million times for huskies).

So as long as yours is definitely healthy and has been checked by the vet, I would try to stick with one certain GOOD food. If you're going to eliminate a protein, check the ingredients of every single thing you feed, all treats, everything. As long as he's healthy, there's a light at the end of the tunnel, it will get better, I promise!

the thing is that he was not like this when i first got him !! so i called the breeder and asked him what did he feed him !! he told me rice and yogurt !! plus am giving him royal canin maxi junior it's the best one in my country !! we also have taste of the wild but the dog food is so expensive here maybe i should switch to TOTW and see what happens !! and yes he eats alot of plants and ants and everything he can find he will eat it including me my hands are like the perfect toy for him :P  i tried to teach him not to bite but ... not working 😢 anw thank all for the great advice !! they are the best one i have found !! i will consider this site as my primary search for any problem !! woof woof  

The breeder was only feeding him rice and yogurt? Even though he wasn't having diarrhea on that, it's definitely not a good complete source of food. Anyway though, 2 days isn't long enough for their bodies to adjust. I did the boiled ground beef and rice for, and I'm trying to remember back here, I'd say a whole full week at least possibly a little longer, then very slowly add in his food. So if he's eating a cup of food per day, you would slowly subtract some of the beef/rice and mix in the same amount of regular food that you subtracted of the beef/rice. I would keep on that ratio for a few days, then subtract a little more of the beef/rice and add a little more regular food. It's a pain, especially with measuring everything at every meal, but there needs to be time for their belly to adjust. 

I've heard good things about Royal Canin. If you really don't think it's the food, I'd stick with it. Or if you are going to change, you have to slowly exchange the old food with new, same as I explained with the beef/rice. Any sudden change in food can upset their stomachs. I know I did use TOTW while this was happening because I don't think Canidae had a puppy option with fish as a protein. I switched him to the Canidae when I was switching over to adult food. (I think I tried a Canidae puppy food way back at first but it didn't agree with him way back then - most things didn't). Try to find a protein you think will work and stick with that, even for treats and everything - read all the ingredients. Whichever food you decide to use, stick with that too. Look up Pet Food Advisor for ingredients and unbiased ratings, as well as customer reviews, while also keeping in mind that just like people every dog is different. 

This is a great group. There are also a few great husky groups on Facebook that you might enjoy. Some are specific to different subjects. One is training, so you might get some helpful info there too, overall and especially for the biting. Good luck, the puppy phase goes quicker than you think, he'll be grown before you know it. 

• 2 weeks later...

so here is a little update !!! after i tried everything and visited alot of vets with no help with the loose stool !! so my puppy is a fast eater he doesn't chew his food !! so i stared crushing the food into small pieces first it slowed him down and second his stool became normal !! so if anyone having the same problem i had !! u should try this !! and thank all for your great advice 

Archived