4 month old - continuous loose stool since 8 weeks

ILoveMyHusky

We got our puppy at 8 weeks old. He's had diarrhea since the day we brought him home. He was diagnosed with coccidia, which was treated, then tested negative for after. The breeder had him on 4Health puppy, so I transitioned him to Canidae bison puppy. That didn't help. I tried canned pumpkin, no help. He was then treated with 2 more antibiotics  (just in case), which didn't help. He was put on Science Diet ID and probiotic, which DID help, his stools went from complete water to totally normal. BUT, that only lasted a few weeks. It hasn't returned to complete water, but it is still very loose. Now he has been put on Purina HA. I haven't given that time to work yet, so we'll see, but I'm not thrilled, to say the least, with the ingredients (first on the Science Diet, but especially this Purina). If it works then great, that's what I'll have to use for now, but I'm not too happy about it.

If this doesn't work, we're going to do a more in depth fecal exam, and then possibly blood work after that. I've read about zinc deficiency, which the vet said most likely isn't an issue, as there's usually other (skin) symptoms, which makes sense to me. He also mentioned that sometimes they just seem to have stomach/digestive issues which they can potentially out grow, which makes sense too. 

He's happy, growing, and actually healthy, besides the looses stool. 

I'm just at a loss here and looking for some input. I love his vet, they are awesome, I totally trust them. I'm just looking for some experienced owner advice or similar situations that someone else might have experience. And mostly, I'm not too happy with the food situation. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say a good quality food and feed less then what it says on the instructions my 2 get 145 grams each feed twice a day ..ok they are not pups ut a bit older...

Sometimes Northern Breeds do better on a fish based kibble.

Also it seems like you might not be giving him enough time to get used to his food as he is only 4 months old and you have had him on many different types.

Here's what I would do..

Fast him for 24 hours and then make a bland mixture of cooked ground beef, rice and sweet potato. Feed him this to him for 5 days. After day three gradually add very small amounts of his new kibble. At day six he should be completely on his new food.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Husky Owners mobile app

I don't know if my phone is acting up, but my reply doesn't seem to be posting. Could be because I'm new here and don't know what I'm doing lol. Please forgive me if it shows up multiple times. 

Thanks for the replies!

robke:

I was hoping the Canidae was good quality, but that didn't work.

I've seen possibly better qualities suggested, like maybe Orijen? Any other suggestions? I feel like this Purina is definitely not good quality, and quite as expensive as truly good quality foods. I'm going to have to see if this works for now though unfortunately. This is a hydrolyzed food. 

I'm in the US, so we feed in cups as opposed to grams. Trying to figure out 145 grams twice a day = roughly 1 and 1/2 cups? Oh boy, that could be a problem. My pup was on about 2 cups, and I was just told I could up it a little higher. 

twarner:

I've definitely read about the fish based foods, thank you! Like you said, he's been switched now so many time, I didn't know what to do, and so far I've been going with what my vet suggested. If I do the ground beef, rice, and sweet potatoes, do you have any idea on the portion size? He's 20 pounds right now. Do you suggest I attempt the fish based food during this (hopefully last) transition?

Edit: it wasn't posting due to emoji's

I feed mine holistic High Energy meat mix pellets which means less food anyways and lots of water ready and waiting...

remember as well mine are nearly 7 so a bit older...

I have heard and that taste of the wild is a very good brand in the US...

Hope the pup gets better soon.

usually it's simply being fed too much.

After that change the food.

But in the mean time Boiled rice and chicken is the time tested prescription.

I started him yesterday on the beef and rice. His first poop after was much more firm. Again today, it's much more firm. I'm going to wait until tomorrow or the next day to start mixing in his new Taste Of The Wild pacific stream puppy food and see how it goes. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for all the help!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Husky Owners mobile app

I would not rush the process. Some Huskies have very sensitive tummies, and transitioning food can take a week to ten days.  Make the switch too quick and it seems they are in a vicious circle.  I would keep the rice mix going for five days, then slowly transition.  When I switch from one food to another, I use the following method:

Day 1 - 3/4 old food and 1/4 new food

Day 2 - 3/4 old food and 1/4 new food

Day 3 - 1/2 old food and 1/2 new food

Day 4 - 1/2 old food and 1/2 new food

Day 5 - 1/4 old food and 3/4 new food

Day 6 - 1/4 old food and 3/4 new food

Day 7 - All new food.

If stools become runny on any day, repeat the ratio for the next day or two, until stools firm up, then pick up the schedule where you left off.  The number one cause of loose stools in Huskies is caused from feeding too much. So, this begs the questions - How many meals per day? How much food per meal?

At three months:

Four meals per day with 1 cup (+/-) per meal.

At four months:

Three to four meals per day with 1-1/4 cup (+/-) per meal.

At six months:

Three meals per day with 1-1/4 cup (+/-) per meal.

At ten months:

Two meals per day with 1 cup (+/-) per meal.

Adjust the above amounts as needed.

Switch from puppy to adult food at 12 months.

Yesterday I was on day 2 of 1/2 cup food and 1/2 cup meat and rice. He vomited once last night. It was just food, I could clearly see the rice and the rest was brownish, probably the meat and food. This was 5 hours after he had eaten. This morning he had one loose stool, it wasn't watery but not completely formed. I moved back to 1/4 cup food and 3/4 cup meat and rice.
He's never vomited before. He hasn't gotten into anything he shouldn't have.
Anyone else encounter this?

Yes. He's had his stool checked multiple times. He had coccidia way back when we first got him. But after, no parasites were found.
I never usually give my dogs any human food. I've only given him the boiled ground beef and rice mixture to try to alleviate his diarrhea. Which seemed like it was working. Now idk. The beef, I also completely rinse it after it's boiled. It is 10% fat according to the packaging.
I guess there is a more in depth stool testing they can do. And/or blood work (if the stool comes up negative for anything else). I know you asked about giardia, I think that would be found in the regular parasite testing, right?
Let me see how his next stool is, and I'll reply back. I appreciate the feedback!
I know they can't live on the beef and rice, I was trying to calm his belly/digestive tract. Do you think it's not actually a good idea (now I'm going to be worried about pancreatitis)?

Actually I've been thinking. I did give him one or two treats yesterday. The treats are supposed to be hypoallergenic. But, that is the first time I've given him any since starting this. I was thinking since everything was going along good, maybe he'd be able to tolerate a little bit. Maybe this was the issue, idk. I'm definitely not going to give any more. If this was the issue, at least I'll know. They say they're hypoallergenic, but they use hydrolysed chicken liver. They're supposed to be able to tolerate hydrolysed even if they have an issue with certain foods, but who knows.

Archived