Huskies Throwing Up Regularly

Hill777

ProI have two female huskies that are two years old. They're sisters from the same litter and I feed them Purina Beyond Naturals dry dog food (chicken and rice formula). They are fed 1 3/4 cup of food twice a day. One of them throws up on a regular basis and when I asked the vet about it she said to feed them three times a day. Unfortunately, both myself and husband work during the day so that's not entirely possible to do that. I'm sure I'm not the only husky owner that faces this issue of working and not being able to do something like this, but I need a solution. She has plenty of energy, lots of water, and exercise. 

Issue number two is that no matter what, both dogs have soft stools. They frequently get diarrhea and we do NOT feed them anything but their dog food. They don't even get dog treats. Their tummies seem to be the most sensitive of any dog I've ever had. They only "treats" they have are benebones, but they've had those since they were little puppies. Does anyone else face this problem? I've been wanting to switch to a higher brand dog food, but they go through it so quickly it can get expensive. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would definitely switch the food, Purina isn't the best.

A lot of people think the better quality food would be more expensive, by bag yes however you will find with better quality food that you feed the dog less of it! For example Astro is on Canagan and its £61 a bag however I only feed him 200-210g per day. A bag lasts for nearly 2 months! Also there is Taste of the Wild which is about £50 a bag however again you don't need to feed them much per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I'm really glad to hear that while it is more expensive you are using less of it. I never really wanted to use the Purina to begin with, but the cost has been my whole concern. Have you found that your dog's stools have been consistent on the food you currently use? I want to slowly switch over to the new food and hopefully see a positive change for both of my girls. 

I'm really glad to hear that while it is more expensive you are using less of it. I never really wanted to use the Purina to begin with, but the cost has been my whole concern. Have you found that your dog's stools have been consistent on the food you currently use? I want to slowly switch over to the new food and hopefully see a positive change for both of my girls. 

Yes his stools are always solid [emoji4]There's a website called allaboutdogfood.co.uk and it tells you what ingredients are in lots of brands of food, and it also tells you the cost per day (for Canagan it's 91p a day).

Looking at other things too. Are they up to date with their worming? That can cause loose poop and throwing up too.
Some dogs also don't do too well with being left too long between meals and an empty stomach can cause the occasional throwing up of stomach acid. Wouldn't usually cause a loose stool too though I think?
Getting back to the food theory. Yes they are sensitive! Grain free could be a good thing to try, sometimes dogs have allergies to specific ingredients too (yeast/wheat being a popular one). Ice ended up on chappie for several years as literally it was the only thing mild enough for his tummy to process easily. He got better with age though.

Yes, they are up to date on their worming although that did cross my mind. Part of the reason the vet suggested feeding three times a day is because of the length of time between meals. However, with the brand of food it's possible that it just doesn't have nutritional substance keeping them full either. I definitely think a switch to something grain free is needed. I'm glad to know I'm not the only husky owner that faces some of these problems! I think I'm going to try Taste of the Wild to see if there is any marked difference. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172464242981
My first husky sesi (rip) was awful with her food I tried all sorts she had horrific poos then I discovered hypo allergenic food a week on that and boom she was fixed no more trouble James welbeloved very good hypo allergenic food if you search hypo allergenic in eBay you can find lots of various suppliers I'm pretty sure I used a cheap one as well but I was told to try the above link which is what I started with more expensive then gradually found one that suited me and her

47 minutes ago, Matt.bala@hotmail.com said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172464242981
My first husky sesi (rip) was awful with her food I tried all sorts she had horrific poos then I discovered hypo allergenic food a week on that and boom she was fixed no more trouble James welbeloved very good hypo allergenic food if you search hypo allergenic in eBay you can find lots of various suppliers I'm pretty sure I used a cheap one as well but I was told to try the above link which is what I started with more expensive then gradually found one that suited me and her

Yeah, I was considering hypoallergenic food too. I really am glad to hear that switching the food to something more sensitive seemed to work right away. I don't want my dogs to be uncomfortable so this should really help. 

I really don't get why your vet said they needed feeding 3 times a day! We feed our 6 dogs once a day (ages from 3-11) and whilst there's a very occasional bile vomit (small quantity of yellowy froth), usually close to feeding time (or after eating grass), there's never been a problem of any sort. All raw fed so the poop's good and firm, much smaller quantities and only once a day

I really don't get why your vet said they needed feeding 3 times a day! We feed our 6 dogs once a day (ages from 3-11) and whilst there's a very occasional bile vomit (small quantity of yellowy froth), usually close to feeding time (or after eating grass), there's never been a problem of any sort. All raw fed so the poop's good and firm, much smaller quantities and only once a day

I'm not sure either actually. I know of people who feed theirs dogs once a day with no issues so I can't figure out what about my situation is so different. What does their raw food diet consist of if I may ask?

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/01/2017 at 9:50 PM, Hill777 said:

I'm not sure either actually. I know of people who feed theirs dogs once a day with no issues so I can't figure out what about my situation is so different. What does their raw food diet consist of if I may ask?

Apologies for delay in responding, Elizabeth.

Our 6 get a variety of different raw food (partly so they don't get bored with the same but mostly to give them a balanced diet), mostly from our local delivery guy, which may consist of lamb tripe, minced lamb, beef tripe, chicken, mackerel, ox liver, chicken hearts. Occasionally, chicken wings, thighs or carcasses. Today they'll get beef tripe, mackerel and tripe and chicken

• 1 month later...
On 01/01/2017 at 8:31 AM, Markulous said:

Most of the information out there including Husky published guides recommend three times a day, we personally only feed twice a day as we don't have time to go home during the day and feed her. Besides she just sleeps all day anyway.

Do you cook any of the meat you feed yours or is it all raw straight from the butcher? We mix in raw chicken meatballs that are prepackaged from the shops for dogs, but would like to add other raw foods to her diet

With raw food and kibble it's digested at different rates of time and therefore there's different recommendations.
With raw feeding I've heard it's only needed to feed once a day (I'm not sure if this includes pups or just adults). But with kibble more often is recommended.

5 hours ago, petertmartin said:

Most of the information out there including Husky published guides recommend three times a day, we personally only feed twice a day as we don't have time to go home during the day and feed her. Besides she just sleeps all day anyway.

Do you cook any of the meat you feed yours or is it all raw straight from the butcher? We mix in raw chicken meatballs that are prepackaged from the shops for dogs, but would like to add other raw foods to her diet

All our raw comes from the processors (specifically made for the pet industry) with topups from the supermarket if it's on offer (usually chicken, some fish). Ironically, the only time we've ever had problems was with supermarket Sprats when all the dogs were sick (so don't get them anymore). But no, never cook anything unless post-op from vet when we cook chicken and rice

36 minutes ago, Emma said:

With raw food and kibble it's digested at different rates of time and therefore there's different recommendations.
With raw feeding I've heard it's only needed to feed once a day (I'm not sure if this includes pups or just adults). But with kibble more often is recommended.

I've seen comments to the effect that apparently "recent research has shown that kibble and raw can be fed together" but not seen any documentation to support that (though never looked as we don't feed kibble, so not an issue!)

Has anybody got any opinion on the dry dog food K9 optimum as this is what my friend who i got my puppy keera said, is the best???

I honestly have never heard of it but when looking up foods I always go to dogfoodadvisor.com I really like that website as it's relatively easy to understand as opposed to some others I've seen, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought about picking up some raw food for our husky, and collie, but the cost was ridiculous! Essentially it came out to $11 a pound and based off their recommended serving size I would need about 90 pounds of raw a month

Has anybody got any opinion on the dry dog food K9 optimum as this is what my friend who i got my puppy keera said, is the best???

Is that the Euro version of the US version? The European version is supposed to be the best raw available but is pricey as all get out!

I'm honestly not sure where the best places are to go cost wise. In the past I've seen different places mentioned but I'm not sure if they're meat suppliers or even the slaughterhouses directly? No idea tbh, I just know that they weren't supermarkets lol.

• 2 years later...

Hi, first off, I would only like advice from other husky owners, I have quite a few different dog breeds in my house and have had pretty much all types. The husky is by far the hardest to please.

I have given every time of food and diet you can think off, the best dry, the best west and the best raw that I even had shipped over and cost is not really a issue. Husky’s get bored of there food and they get bored quick. 

my current and never ending issues are 1. My little monster will only eat out of my hand and needs hand feeding.

2. He will only eat food if it’s mixed with something and even then he will try and leave the food as much as possible. 

3. he vomits foam pretty much every day before his meal or if he eats grass. Now I have tried shorting the time of feeds as it could be acid at times like my lab if he’s hungry. I have tried 3 times a day 2 times ect. Husky’s are known to be fussy and go days without eating like tigers but it’s frustrating to say the least. 
please note that this has happened with every type of food after a month win or even two weeks in. Only husky owners will understand and probably wondering the same things. I’m Gna try bionic biotics as I was told it’s great for them and stops them vomiting. 

Throwing up can be a sign of worms, will be worth going to the vets to get a couple doses, you need a couple doses as its best to worm one type, then use another a couple weeks later to get rid of all types of worms (the all in one doses can be very harsh)

as to diet/food  you could try a raw food diet, i have yet to see any dog turn its nose up or be fussy over raw

Archived