Crate or Regular Dog Bed

Dulce_Travesura

Soooo I am preparing for the home coming of the puppy and figuring out what to get or not to get.

I am not sure about crate training yet...as he will really be with me 80-90% of the time or with someone.

Dog crate or a regular bed? What is everyone's opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I think it's always a good start to have them be care trained. Even if you veer away from it later on down the road. To have them respect and love the crate is a great thing. Mine loves it and is in heaven when he gets to sleep in the bed on Saturday nights or Sunday mornings. 0a0ed55a82174d50cc8d115f2c99bf7f.jpg

Always crate train them so at least they are used to it otherwise you are going to struggle if you ever have to crate them, vets, groomers etc will all crate it so it will make it harder on the dog if you don't.

My husky is with me or someone 100% of the time during the day then into his crate at night. Gives us sometime apart and he also uses it if he feels overwhelmed during the day which makes him feel safe, where a normal bed won't do that.

Also with a normal bed, the likely hood of it actually sleeping on it are slim due to how hot it will get sleeping on it.

Just my opinion from research and 18 weeks of owning one, other people will know a lot more than me.

mine are used to their crate when we go camping only...at home they are never crated and roam the house...I work from home so that is easy then but am able to leave them for approx 6 to 7 hrs with no problem...

I recently got my puppy and I will not be crate training him because I prefer teaching him what's right and what's wrong. He is currently 1 month and 13 days. He sleeps in his bed and when I leave to college and come back there is absolutely nothing wrong in my room. Everything's clean, nothing's broken and he's always waiting for me. I personally think crate training is for dogs that are unmanageable and hard to train. So just give the dog a change with only the bed first. Mine uses pads at the moment btw.

I recently got my puppy and I will not be crate training him because I prefer teaching him what's right and what's wrong. He is currently 1 month and 13 days. He sleeps in his bed and when I leave to college and come back there is absolutely nothing wrong in my room. Everything's clean, nothing's broken and he's always waiting for me. I personally think crate training is for dogs that are unmanageable and hard to train. So just give the dog a change with only the bed first. Mine uses pads at the moment btw.

I have been reading and reading and asking and asking....I hate the idea of a crate and
A bed and would prefer either or. I am
Leaning towards the bed just because he will
Not be alone most of the time really. But then I am
Afraid If he goes to The vet or Something and he is put in a crate will he be afraid.

I had a husky/Shepard mix before and never destroyed a thing was always so proper
And did not have much training to begin with.

So you use pads and then the bed? What kind of be if you don't Mind my asking?

Ice has a bed in a crate lol.
Crate training is for when we go out.
He has a bed outside of his crate too which he occasionally uses but mostly he sleeps on the people furniture lol

So you use a bed and a crate? What's the rule
Of thumb for crate size?

Always crate train them so at least they are used to it otherwise you are going to struggle if you ever have to crate them, vets, groomers etc will all crate it so it will make it harder on the dog if you don't.

My husky is with me or someone 100% of the time during the day then into his crate at night. Gives us sometime apart and he also uses it if he feels overwhelmed during the day which makes him feel safe, where a normal bed won't do that.

Also with a normal bed, the likely hood of it actually sleeping on it are slim due to how hot it will get sleeping on it.

Just my opinion from research and 18 weeks of owning one, other people will know a lot more than me.

Ok so now I am Thinking I would get a crate just for him to Go into And sleep At night since during the day he really won't Be alone...maybe a cool
Bed and toys in the crate?

He won't be afraid at the vet if they put him in a crate, you just have to create an environment where he feels safe and praise him if he gets in the crate and stays calm.
Yes, I use pads because he's still a puppy and they tend to be very susceptible to diseases and stuff when they're young. He got his first vaccines on Saturday and I'm planning on waiting till he's 2 months old to play outside and to start training him.
The bed I'm currently using is a Kong lounger bed. It has durable fabric that is chew resistant, water resistant liner and also a machine washable cover. It's 29 inches long, 39 inches wide and 4 inches of height. [emoji23] I bought a big one so he can grow into it since dog beds are expensive.

Definitely not true, my dogs are all "manageable". My 3 dogs are all crate trained but also have free roam of the house. It is their safe zone. They love it. I just say crate and off they go. When we're winding down at night and the TV goes off, they all jump up and run to their crates. Again, it's their safe zone.

Definitely not true, my dogs are all "manageable". My 3 dogs are all crate trained but also have free roam of the house. It is their safe zone. They love it. I just say crate and off they go. When we're winding down at night and the TV goes off, they all jump up and run to their crates. Again, it's their safe zone.

I know crates are like a den, a safe zone for the dog but, everyone has their own opinion. A lot of people use crates for control (so the dog relaxes and stuff) or they use it to also train the dog to potty outside and train their bladder and bowels.
I've read a lot about crate training and it is the owners decision. I chose not to.

YOU HAVE A POINT![emoji106]

He won't be afraid at the vet if they put him in a crate, you just have to create an environment where he feels safe and praise him if he gets in the crate and stays calm.
Yes, I use pads because he's still a puppy and they tend to be very susceptible to diseases and stuff when they're young. He got his first vaccines on Saturday and I'm planning on waiting till he's 2 months old to play outside and to start training him.
The bed I'm currently using is a Kong lounger bed. It has durable fabric that is chew resistant, water resistant liner and also a machine washable cover. It's 29 inches long, 39 inches wide and 4 inches of height. [emoji23] I bought a big one so he can grow into it since dog beds are expensive.

Where can I get one?

Thanks Everyone who have been answering...a lot of great points have been made. I will make a decision soon this week....geez I didn't think it would be this hard bringing a puppy home.

The excitement begins also!

All 6 of ours are crate trained, partly as an essential part of their life should it be required (vet, etc) and partly should it be necessary if we get an emergency foster  (though it's usually the foster that's crated - and all our fosters are crate trained) and is absolutely nothing to do with manageability (all ours get on with each other superbly and never misbehave). Having said that, both crates are currently dismantled and we've not needed either for well over a year - though if I was to put one up there'd be a queue to get in as they all love their crate! :)

Ice has a bed inside his crate which is a pillow type one. The rule of thumb for crate size is that it must be big enough for them to be able to stand and turn around fully. I also put a water bowl in there too although many prefer not too.
The thing to remember is that crate training should never be a punishment, it's a safe place to seek sanctuary. I also decided that for me personally it was important that over a 24 hour day, the time spent outside of the crate should be greater than the time spent inside the crate. Ice sleeps with us at night and spends most of his time free when we are at home but if we go out then he is crated. That's what works for us but I appreciate that everyone will find their own path and it will vary depending on what suits their family. You just need to take on board what ideas you think will work and adapt them to find what suits you all the best. [emoji3]

Ok so now I am Thinking I would get a crate just for him to Go into And sleep At night since during the day he really won't Be alone...maybe a cool

Bed and toys in the crate?

Mine also only goes in at night (he falls asleep next to me then when we are ready for bed he goes by himself) as emma said more time out than in. We do from around 10pm till 7-8am.

He also has a large pillow type bed out of his crate and another one a lot smaller in his crate that he moves around.

He also uses it when there are too many children and he feels uncomfortable he knows it's safe for him

I bought the biggest crate that would fit in the place that I had planned for him and then divided the crate off so he didn't use it as a toilet and slowly made it bigger. It is a Large Kong crate.

He has his cuddly toys and hide bones, nothing that will hype him up otherwise he sits there all night playing then wants to get out.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I know crates are like a den, a safe zone for the dog but, everyone has their own opinion. A lot of people use crates for control (so the dog relaxes and stuff) or they use it to also train the dog to potty outside and train their bladder and bowels.
I've read a lot about crate training and it is the owners decision. I chose not to.

Where do your dogs sleep? How often are they let outside? Are you the work from home type?

Where do your dogs sleep? How often are they let outside? Are you the work from home type?

I have 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 guinea pigs. 2 of my dogs are outside dogs because they watch the house (they have free roam outside cause I live in in the middle of 10acres and there's no fence. So basically they're guard dogs. My 2 cats are also outside and my guinea pigs and my husky puppy are inside the house. My puppy is currently using pads and will start going outside when he's 2 months old and gets his 2nd dose of vaccines. I'm a college student and I don't get back home till 5pm (I leave at 6am) and sometimes I take the puppy to college with me. I take care of all my pets and they are perfectly healthy, which I'm proud of. I will admit it's a bit hard but if you have a passion for animals you'll do whatever it takes. 4 of them are rescues and the other ones I've bought either from a really responsable breeder or a store (petsmart).

As others have said it really is an individual choice. I have two, both rehomed. Logan is 7 and has never had a crate, Lucy at 3.5 has always had one. Lucy's bed is in her crate, Logan doesn't have one and when we are home they both have free run of the house, including night time.

When I go out Lucy always goes in her crate, it is her safe place. if she can't get in whilst I am getting ready, she will sometimes cry for me to let her in. They both play together when free, sometimes quite rough, it gives me reassurance that things can't escalate when I am not there.

It wasn't easy though, despite the fact she is very happy there. I have never crated a dog before and it just seemed to go against everything I'd ever done with dogs. But I know now she likes it, I put my coat on to leave them and she takes herself to bed. Logan gets on the sofa. And the reassurance I get from knowing they are safe is priceless.

just do what is right for you.

Crates should never be used 'for control'. Don't be put off by crates, my other half didn't like the idea of them either but it was soon a case of it being for Astro's own safety more than anything (he got into the cupboard under the sink and there were teeth marks on bleach bottles, he ripped out all the piping from under the sink, he smashed a glass bottle and carried pieces of glass into his bed). He loves his crate, I don't even have to tell him to go in there now! If you do get one, don't use it as a punishment as he will associate it with bad things then. Huskies are strange creatures and if yours is anything like Astro, he will prefer a cold stone floor to a bed! Get the biggest size you can get so it will last through to adulthood. Mines an XL and Astro can stand, turn and lie down stretched out in it

Crates should never be used 'for control'. Don't be put off by crates, my other half didn't like the idea of them either but it was soon a case of it being for Astro's own safety more than anything (he got into the cupboard under the sink and there were teeth marks on bleach bottles, he ripped out all the piping from under the sink, he smashed a glass bottle and carried pieces of glass into his bed). He loves his crate, I don't even have to tell him to go in there now! If you do get one, don't use it as a punishment as he will associate it with bad things then. Huskies are strange creatures and if yours is anything like Astro, he will prefer a cold stone floor to a bed! Get the biggest size you can get so it will last through to adulthood. Mines an XL and Astro can stand, turn and lie down stretched out in it

If mine falls asleep on a concrete floor it is nearly impossible to get him to go to bed, have to get him into his crate before he falls asleep otherwise he might as well stay where he is!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Archived