eye duct clogged

BBava

I took Avalanche to eye doctor for the check up of cataracts 3 weeks ago. Because of runny eyes and discharge, doctor performed flush and found that her tear ducts have been clogged.

We hoped it would be cured by Increasing her daily eye drops and adding some drugs but no good result -and end up going to have a surgery to correct the passages next Tuesday.

They say this kind of surgery is pretty common but I'm worrying. Does anybody have/ know about this problem ?

I know that some smaller dogs like pugs are prone to problems with their tear ducts. Did the vet say what they felt was causing the blockage? Sometimes an infection or inflammation can be the culprit and they can be treated without surgery I think? Other times though, surgery is the next option if a flush was unsuccessful. I've not experienced it myself but from looking around quickly it does seem to be a fairly common practice. Good luck and I'm sorry I can't be of much help. Xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, Emma !  After attempting 2 flush and some drugs, Dr says it could be anything to block Ava's tear ducts, and makes her worry is yellowish/greenish discharge. To be honest, I really want to avoid the surgery even they say it's a simple procedure -still needs to use MRI and general anesthesia. I heard many small dogs parents try not to have these operations, also.  And this year I had some bad experiences with these events for my other dog, it scares me. That's from an ophthalmologist and I just contacted Ava's vet for his opinion.

IMG_20160612_143029.jpg

Archived