Are Siberia huskies prone to depression?

PuellaMxgi

Mt 2 year old Milo has a tendency to mope around the house some times. 4 months ago our Eldest Husky Bendy had passed away and he did mope and search for him. He has gotten better but I've noticed he isn't his usual self. He doesn't shadow me when I do stuff in the house or even stay in the same room. He tends to lay around a lot when he gets this way. He perks right up when I give him treats. Perhaps this could be due to having to seperate him from our newest addition to the family? 

I believe that they and for that matter any dog/animal can suffer from what we call depression...maybe more in the missing sense of it but yes I think they can suffer and it is up to you to find the trigger that gets it out of them..separate walks, extra playtime stuff like that...

Yes dogs can suffer from depression and both losing a pack member and being separated from family can be upsetting.

Like rob said, he will need time and attention too and striving to find a balance that keeps everyone happy.

Sounds like your buddy is lonely.. Get him a companion and try to start over with him..then see what happens.

They might not be ready for a new companion , I lost my staffy nearly 2 years ago and still can't think about getting another dog any time soon

He just needs time and some extra love and attention

From the way you describe what happened it sounds like he is missing his buddy and blames you for it. It is a very difficult position to be in. Have you any friends close by that have huskies. If so it may be an idea to take him for play times and see if he bucks up. If he does you have your answer. You then have another problem. Do you feel you can replace a family member so quickly, when is there a right time. There's not a day goes by when I don't think about my GSD. but if I hadn't pushed myself I would still be thinking about it. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Gary.

Why not? You can try and see what happens..

If it doesn't work out then the problem is you now have two unhappy dogs instead of one. Plus if they truly don't get on, you now have the bigger problem of having a dog who needs to be rehomed. Passing dogs from pillar to post happens all too often as it is, (which really isn't fair on anyone), it's not the best idea to take the plunge unless you know it's the right move for you and you intend to stick at it.

However, I'm babbling again. Did anyone spot in the original post that one of the reasons the husky is upset was because they were now separated due to a new addition? I don't know if this new addition is already another dog or not but personally I think this issue is what needs to be addressed first. Losing a pack member and then being left out of the family is bound to have a significant impact on anyone.

Well spotted Emma. Completely missed it. Old age creeping on fast.:D. I am presuming that the new addition to the family is a child. If this is the case is there a particular reason the husky is being separated form him/her?

Gary.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2016 at 0:38 PM, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

I didn't see it either , he's just lost his friend n now he's been 'pushed out' from his family :( he needs more attention n to be brought back into his family

I agree. He need some special attention...Losing a friend is devastating but losing a member of the family is even more devastating.

• 3 years later...

Hi, man. Frankly speaking, I think, that every living organism is prone to depression. It happens individually, so it's difficult to say can the dog be in a depression or not, because it can hide it, like the people. I had the depression, that is why I say you it. The best treatment of stress for me is Etizolam. I love this med, it has a very good effect on my mental and nervous system. The backside effect doesn't have a significant influence of your body. To read full description check this link worldpharm365.com. Show your dog to a doctor, man.

Archived