Trying to better myself as a husky owner! // Introduction

shihusky

The answer to all my childhood dreams is contained in the two mismatched eyes of my husky named Shiloh!

I got her around 10 months ago and it's been a wild ride so far. Unfortunately, while I longed for a husky for a number of years, I never did proper research on the breed. I, of course, was attracted to the striking beauty of the dogs and not much else. I often begged my parents to get me a husky and they always refused (luckily, because discovering the characteristics of the breed AFTER getting one would have been a nightmare under my parents' roof). But when I graduated from high school and moved in with my sister to go to college, I saw an opportunity. I went to....Craigslist (*cringe*). It didn't take me too long to find a post with pictures of 2 adorable husky puppies and, before long, I'd bought one from what I realize now was a backyard breeder. 

Long story short - I was completely blindsided when I got my Shiloh. The couple I bought her from sold her to me too young, as I didn't know what age was best for a husky to be taken from her parents. I knew she would shed but I didn't know how much it would be. I was unaware of the HUGE amount of energy huskies can have and how much exercise they need. I didn't know that I should have been socializing her with a lot of new people and other animals, or that I should have had a reasonably firm hand with training her... Basically, I knew nothing and I definitely got my wish for a husky too soon.

But I loved her the moment I saw her! She was a tiny little fluff ball of gray and white (she has since changed color), with bi eyes, and the cutest paws! I remember riding home to my sister's house in the backseat with her on my lap, just in awe of her. That night, she kept crying every time I would turn off the lights. So I pulled her box close to my bed where I could pet her with her still in it, and I talked her to sleep. I've been in love ever since, haha.

I've since then increased my knowledge on the breed and am working to reverse any damage I may have done with her. She is very sweet but likes to jump at people for snacks or cuddles, she is shy around strangers, and she can be very mouthy (licking people's ears is a hobby of hers, to my mother's horror, haha) - due to subpar training and socialization on my part. But she has plenty of good qualities about her and everyone loves her :) I still plan to be a better owner, one she deserves, and I'd love to hear about other's adventures with their huskies and any tips and tricks they have for an overall happier experience for both owner and husky! I also want to help educate those around me about owning a husky, so they can skip the 'I-don't-know-what-I'm-doing' part of it and won't have to deal with the consequences of not raising their dog right. So that's why I have joined this website! (I should probably actually introduce myself somewhere so I'll just do it here, haha. Hi, I'm Marisa, I'll be 19 in four days, and I'm a nursing student in Texas. I hope to connect with a lot of you husky owners!)

Here are a few pictures of Shiloh: one of her when she still fit in that little bed :'), one of her 'my-ears-are-huge' phase, and one from March of this year. I wonder, does anyone else have a husky who you can get maybe ONE good photo out of 20 shots? Hahaha.

20151003_163943 (2).jpg

20151107_180931.jpg

20160313_190813.jpg

Welcome to the forums! I joined this site in 2012, way before I got a husky. I always did research on the breed, and despite their challenges I still kept to it. Today I am getting my fur baby! My first husky! I am 21 and a college student studying Veterinary Medicine who also lives with my sister. We have a lot in common, except I did my research lol! 

I hope you have fun here and gain the knowledge you yearn for. We want more pictures!!!!

On 7/13/2016 at 4:33 AM, Shaiasaur said:

Welcome to the forums! I joined this site in 2012, way before I got a husky. I always did research on the breed, and despite their challenges I still kept to it. Today I am getting my fur baby! My first husky! I am 21 and a college student studying Veterinary Medicine who also lives with my sister. We have a lot in common, except I did my research lol! 

I hope you have fun here and gain the knowledge you yearn for. We want more pictures!!!!

I laughed so hard at the "except I did my research" hahahaha.  Also, if you did get your husky on the day you posted your reply, you got her/him on my birthday! :D

Oh gosh, are you liking Veterinary Medicine so far? I was considering it but I'm too scared to switch my current major!

• 1 month later...

Hii

Im new to the forum as well, my baby girl Buffy is now a little over three months and I love her to death!!!

your intro was so heart warming it almost made me cry!! You are doing a wonderful job and keep it up! 

Im Lashawn 23 years old and I am majoring in computer animation!  

Heres a few pics of my baby husky Buffy

the first one at a month and a half, the second pic is her as of today sleep in the bed lol

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

How did it go? Getting it

Sent from my GT-I9301I using Tapatalk

Archived