I know why they're fighting now

So Freya and Lexi have been fighting lately, and I know why now 

I'm 100% sure that they are fighting over me. they only ever fight when I'm there, if it's other members of the family they're fine together. They stay outside together all the time, and they're fine, but as soon as I step out they're at it again. 

On a walk, I had Lexi go for Freya everytime Freya came over to me for cuddles, Lexi would go for her... And Freya wouldn't come near me after that, just stand at a distance looking at us, whilst Lexi stayed near me. 

Im at a loss of what to do now... Lexi isn't technically even my dog, she's my brothers but he doesn't bother with her so I kind of took her on, but if she's fighting with mine then I may have no choice but to sort of distance myself from her... 

Any help? I don't know what to do :( 

9 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Do they get one on one time with u? Maybe that will help so she doesn't feel like she has to fight for your attention?

They don't actually now that I think about it.... They're always together :( would it help if I spent alone time with each of them from time to time? Like one on one walks, cuddles etc. 

Im just scared that would make her more possessive 

A combination of things can help.

Try sitting them down with lots of space between them and then taking it turns to pet and give treats to each of them alternately. The aim being that they are both learning that attention to one does not mean No attention to the other. If they are calm and relaxed together then you can have them closer together but obviously if it starts to go tits up then it's back to keeping them a safe distance apart.

Taking them out for walks or play individually like Nix said is good but can I add to remember to do both? ......spend time with one and then switch over and spend time with the other.

Sent via the power of rubbish tapatalk

• Like 1

Going through this with Rohn and Luke.  We came to the same conclusion.  Outside they are fine.  I enter the picture and it's WWIII. Getting better.  Does take time and patience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Emma said:

Try sitting them down with lots of space between them and then taking it turns to pet and give treats to each of them alternately. The aim being that they are both learning that attention to one does not mean No attention to the other. If they are calm and relaxed together then you can have them closer together but obviously if it starts to go tits up then it's back to keeping them a safe distance apart.

Taking them out for walks or play individually like Nix said is good but can I add to remember to do both? ......spend time with one and then switch over and spend time with the other.

I've been walking them together to see if that would create a stronger bond, but now I see that it's not their bond that's the problem, Lexi is just too jealous... 

I need to get a handle on it, they've made each other bleed before with their fights, it's hard to get them apart too when they're both such strong breeds :/ 

thank you for all the advice, I'll definitely be starting this ASAP to hopefully see a change 

so far I think I'm gonna try: 

one to one play/walks with both

And possibly try the attention and treats (but do I tie them both up on other sides of the yard and only give them attention when they're both calm? Or just give them attention one by one, then treats afterwards? If you could break it down for me step by step so I know I'm not doing anything to make it worse, I'd be so grateful <3 ) 

23 hours ago, Emma said:

I tried what you said, first session it seemed to go well, I got Lexi in the kitchen with me on her own for a while, ignored her until she calmed down, she kept trying to hop on my lap and kept putting her head on my knees, but I just pushed her down or just ignored her until she lied down (she did eventually), and then gave her a pat when she did, and then I put her in the crate with her lead on (just incase) and each time I pet Freya, I'd give her a treat... 
As time went on, she became lots more relaxed and more focused on me and the treats when I was petting Freya, so she didn't mind as much.. Hopefully this works

• Like 1

It might take a while but stick with it.   My situation was slightly different and I was able to have all 3 in the room with me and got them to sit in a row and then went one by one along the row, getting them to perform commands and treating them.  I was dealing with food aggression.  Ice was fine with people but would attack the others for any food he could see, be it something that fell on the floor or their dinner bowl!  Sometimes he would do well but then another time out of the blue he would regress a little bit and I'd feel very frustrated.  But in the end he did get there and now his food related manners are actually much better than the girls, lol. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wolfee said:

Just so you can sort of see her behaviour, this is how she is when I greet her, here I'm ignoring her until she's calm 

IMG_9908.MOV

It's been a while since I saw Brooke showing that hyper staffy energy, lol. 

The problem with that hyper staffy energy is that what starts out as over excitement can easily descend into aggression and cause fights to break out as you most likely already know.  Some staffy's aren't that great with other dogs and are very attached to their humans but that said my hubby's uncle had 3 staffy's all living harmoniously together, even though 1 of them he rescued was the most dog aggressive lady I'd ever seen.  To this day he still has to muzzle her  and keep on lead when he takes her for walks as she will immediately attempt to attack on sight any other dog she sees.   How he managed to integrate her successfully into his existing pack, I have no idea.  But he did and they all got on well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Emma said:

It's been a while since I saw Brooke showing that hyper staffy energy, lol. 

The problem with that hyper staffy energy is that what starts out as over excitement can easily descend into aggression and cause fights to break out as you most likely already know.  Some staffy's aren't that great with other dogs and are very attached to their humans but that said my hubby's uncle had 3 staffy's all living harmoniously together, even though 1 of them he rescued was the most dog aggressive lady I'd ever seen.  To this day he still has to muzzle her  and keep on lead when he takes her for walks as she will immediately attempt to attack on sight any other dog she sees.   How he managed to integrate her successfully into his existing pack, I have no idea.  But he did and they all got on well. 

Did you do anything specific to calm yours down?

Will the whole idea of not giving her attention until she's calm work? 

I honestly can't remember with Brooke. She's 15 now, it's been so many years.

But I do think that ignoring her until she's calm could work.

Brooke's not as smart as Bear and Ice. They can make connections and pick things up with incredible speed. Brooke takes a little longer but she gets there eventually. Lol.