7 month old husky

Hi.. My name is Melody. My dog's name is Juneau. We recently adopted her and she is now 7 months old. We haven't put her in any formal training yet, as we are trying to get her caught up on vaccinations and everything first. So far she has been an incredible dog! She is very friendly and playful. Very loyal and follows me all around the house. She naps for a good portion of the day, which makes watching her a pretty easy task. 

The ONLY issues we have seen so far are her urinating in her crate when we have to crate her while we are gone. The longest we have had to crate her is 1.5 hours and I leave a big bone with her and toys to try and keep her from focusing so much on escaping.. We have worked with her on trying to get her to like the crate by giving treats, praise and feeding her in there (didn't take much work). She loved the crate before I even got it set up and will take a majority of her naps in there, as well as carry her bones and toys in there to play with. She just starts barking and howling the moment the crate door is shut & she realizes she's closed in. She doesn't use the bathroom in the house, can go 8-9 hours at night while we sleep without an accident. But for some reason in the short time she's crated, she has an accident. We also make sure she goes potty right before we leave..

The other issue is her pulling on the leash. Any advice? She only does it when she sees another dog. It doesn't seem like an aggressive behavior, but more like she wants to play. ( not so sure about the other dogs) but she will flop all over the ground, jump what seems like 5 ft high, and pull like crazy to try and get to the other dog... 

Sorry this is such a long introduction. :) 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the pack , she's lovely , she could be going to the toilet because of anxiety , what was her past like b4 u got her?

I trained my boy to walk nicely with a walkyourdogwithlove non pull harness , it might help u get a bit of extra control on her n i would use treats too to redirect her n train her to focus on u whilst walking rather then other dogs

• Like 1

Unfortunately I don't know too much about her past. We got her from some pretty sketchy people who lied about having her vet records and vaccinations, etc.. But we absolutely fell in love with her from the start, so we took the plunge. She is a great dog to have only been with us a few weeks.. Seems like she fits in here. Anyway.. They did tell me she slept in a crate, but was allowed to be loose in the house while they were away at work. The only reason we don't do that is because we have witnessed her chewing furniture, eating toilet paper & shoes, etc. normal puppy mischief. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum. I can't help much with the over excitement when seeing other dogs as ice still does it now, lol.

I agree with Nix and it is possibly a case of urinating from anxiety rather than an actual dire need for the toilet. Strange that they created her when at home and let her loose when they went out, it's generally meant to be the other way round, lol.

Sent via the power of rubbish tapatalk

Haha, I know right. I don't really understand that logic either..

I think it is most likely anxiety because she seems like a completely different dog when crated. She sounds so sad yet gets really hyper..

is there any way to help with the anxiety, assuming that's what it is? Or does it maybe improve with age?

We have recently been trying to leave her alone in the house (an hour max) instead of crating because she still uses the bathroom in her crate if locked in and left alone. The past few days though she has started using the bathroom upstairs, chewing stuff (remotes, shoes, kids' toys, pillows, etc) pretty much the moment we walk out the door. I walked outside just long enough to take the trash out and when I came back inside she had a flip flop in her mouth.. She has tons of toys, bones and chews that she normally likes..

Any advice on separation anxiety? Without resorting to the crate? I don't mind leaving her in there for short periods but she always ends up urinating in there. :( .... But lately runs upstairs to do the same if not crated. She seems to be very well behaved while I am around. Only really notice extreme bad behaviors when I leave. 

Honestly, the crate is generally the best solution to protect them from harm. Inevitably they explore the world with their mouths and can destroy lots of things. Chewing on cables (zzzzap!) or ingesting inedible objects which can get stuck and cause an obstruction (can be life threatening) are two of the most common potential issues.

However another way that might help is to puppy proof one room and dog gate it off. Restrict access to the rest of the house. Choosing a room with an easily cleaned floor would probably do you a favour if she's urinating.

With regards to the separation anxiety, have you tried giving her an item of your clothing or bedding that smells of you? Something that's been worn or laid in so that your scent is freshly on it. White noise such as a radio can help some, DAP diffusers or collars may be something to explore (it releases a pheromone that is designed to help calm dogs). Exercise before being left may be beneficial and a Kong treat ball is also another thing to try.

Bear went nuts and destroyed our house until she was allowed into our room. As soon as she could get in there, she crawled under our bed and slept until we got home. We never had another problem with her after that. She sleeps under our bed even now be it during the day or at night, think it must be her safe place. Strange how that worked out.

Sent via the power of rubbish tapatalk