Car Protection Product

So I have been putting off this post for awhile because part of my problem is that I didn't think about the puppy dog before I made my decision. Kind of embarrassing.

I got into a experiment a year or so ago.  We wanted to find out how far my Mazda 3 will fly when a Chevy Avalanche (Big truck) hits it barreling down the highway.  The answer is everyone not very far because the Jeep Laredo stopped it.  Long story short I walked away from it but my car didn't. My car looked like those cartoons where the car in the middle looks like an accordion.  Thankfully insurance took over and I was able to pick out a new car and Cheza wasn't with me.  

While shopping a test drove a 2015 Mustang (for fun) and fell in love with it.  I bought it and really love my car. Funily enough it gets better Miles per gallon than most of the suv's I looked at.  But it has one down side...... Dog transportation.  I didn't think of the challenges of transporting a full grown husky in a leather interior sports car....ooops We used a hammock in the Mazda but the Mustang's back seat does not have any head rests.  I tried a seat protector in the front seat but she is too much of a fidget to be in the front seat, plus I am afraid of airbags deploying.

Long story short I am looking for a husky approved back seat hammock or cover that does not require headrests.  My seats fold down if that helps and she wears shoes in the car for now but I would like to stop using them if I can figure it out.

Anybody have a suggestions?

How terrifying, glad you got out ok xxxx I would love a mustang (pref a 1967 convertible in pale blue) and can fully understand why you bought it (pics required) as to your problem why not just a blanket that will protect the seat when Cheza in car and easy to store. Maybe a ribbon or elastic can be sewed in place to slide over front seats?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, goingsolo said:

How terrifying, glad you got out ok xxxx I would love a mustang (pref a 1967 convertible in pale blue) and can fully understand why you bought it (pics required) as to your problem why not just a blanket that will protect the seat when Cheza in car and easy to store. Maybe a ribbon or elastic can be sewed in place to slide over front seats?

How about a 1965 orange fastback with pony package.  My parents own that one. 

This is mine 310 horse power at 32 mpg. Its not the GT but I had to be a little practical.

20150321_155109.jpg

20150321_155131.jpg

IMG_2909.JPG

In case you meant pictures of Cheza in shoes

20150814_055213.jpg

Sorry couldn't flip it.

Anyways I was looking for something that attached in some way and was water proof.  Cheza has been known to relieve herself in the car though that hasn't been in awhile.  The blanket might work though if I stitch a plastic liner to it. 

• Like 2

Nice car, cool socks! :D sorry to hear about your accident!

I have a waterproof backseat cover that has elastic on the back top ends that you just pull over the seats (some cars like hatchbacks you need to be able to have the rear seats flipped a bit forward and then put them back again)

It works well but the elastic does wear out over time ;)

You could just buy some waterproof canvas material and cut it to appropriate size, it would be less trouble and way cheaper! But some dogs might not like the feel of it, mine are used to sitting on anything! You could still throw a towel of blanket over it if she doesn't like the feeling...

Try a picnic blanket they have a cloth front and water proof back you can lay over the seats, also look around for a seat belt clip

they look a bit like a mini wire coat hanger that slips over the seat belt and witha twist sits around the seat bely and will slide up and down the belt

When the belt is hooked in  you can clip husky in with thier chest harness so they can sit stand  turn etc but are kept in the back even in a crash

A loose dog flying forwards in a crash can do a lot of damage they say you triple weight due to G force so a flying 30 Kg husky would hit you at 90Kg's

• Like 1

On 6/11/2016 at 11:24 AM, loudlucky said:

Nice car, cool socks! :D sorry to hear about your accident!

I have a waterproof backseat cover that has elastic on the back top ends that you just pull over the seats (some cars like hatchbacks you need to be able to have the rear seats flipped a bit forward and then put them back again)

It works well but the elastic does wear out over time ;)

You could just buy some waterproof canvas material and cut it to appropriate size, it would be less trouble and way cheaper! But some dogs might not like the feel of it, mine are used to sitting on anything! You could still throw a towel of blanket over it if she doesn't like the feeling...

My seats to flip forward a bit. (Well what they count as rear seats)

As far as feeling Cheza once ate the plastic tray out of her kennel and then laid on the bars. Im not sure she cares about feeling. (Thankfully no vet visit was needed)

On 6/11/2016 at 4:33 PM, PaulG said:

Try a picnic blanket they have a cloth front and water proof back you can lay over the seats, also look around for a seat belt clip

they look a bit like a mini wire coat hanger that slips over the seat belt and witha twist sits around the seat bely and will slide up and down the belt

When the belt is hooked in  you can clip husky in with thier chest harness so they can sit stand  turn etc but are kept in the back even in a crash

A loose dog flying forwards in a crash can do a lot of damage they say you triple weight due to G force so a flying 30 Kg husky would hit you at 90Kg's

Thanks for reminding me.  I need to get a new tie down for her seat belt.  She got her self tied up on the last one.  Need to find one that doesn't give her so much freedom.

On 6/11/2016 at 4:15 PM, goingsolo said:

I could cope with orange lol

With those specs I could too.  Still I get maximum enjoyment out of my green modern one.  Ah the wonders of fuel injection.

I will take these suggestions and give them a try. 

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't realize how hard that would be to find something that would work.  I admit, I bought my vehicle specifically with the dogs we have in mind - I have a van and people think I have kids!  

So, not sure if this helps so much, but I found this site: http://www.weathertech.com/seat-protectors/ and they have seat covers that are custom to your vehicle make, year, and model. 

Good luck!

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Glad you were ok! Nice ride tho! I have a Toyota 4Runner and it gets terrible gas mileage lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks,  Gas mileage wasn't first on my list but its definitely a nice benefit.

9 hours ago, rstovall said:

Wow, I didn't realize how hard that would be to find something that would work.  I admit, I bought my vehicle specifically with the dogs we have in mind - I have a van and people think I have kids!  

So, not sure if this helps so much, but I found this site: http://www.weathertech.com/seat-protectors/ and they have seat covers that are custom to your vehicle make, year, and model. 

Good luck!

I didn't realize either.  The lack of head rests are the reason I have not been able to get a commercial solution

• 7 months later...

I though a fitted sheet style that can hook over back seats Brough forward then clipped back.
The flannel cotton brushed ones are tougher and if you have three to swap round for one in use one in wash one spare. ..? Cheaper option..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

We use a Hatch Bag which is cut/fitted for the model of vehicle (thick vinyl over which we put an old blanket and bathroom mats to soak up the water/mud!) - not really much help as we've a 4x4 and they're a UK company (but maybe for someone else?). Deliberately made sure we had leather seats for easier cleaning - and then had to remove the rear seats to fit the 6 dogs!

20150526_110917.jpg

• Like 1