Meet Lilly

So my brother dumped his Labrador with me! :angry: I think she's about 5 years old and she's so sweet, but he doesn't want her anymore... Will see how it goes but for now she's staying with me so she'll probably stay as the dogs love her! Tsunami kept barking at her, I don't know what's up with that as he's never done it at the play dates...maybe because she's in his home & yard?

These pics are from when I visited him a couple years ago as the dogs are too hyper now to pose for photos! Will get some when she's settled.

2014-04-26 08.11.17.jpg

2014-04-26 08.10.29.jpg

2014-04-26 09.30.49.jpg

• Like 1

I would say that he is indeed barkeing cause she is entering his domain...but no doubt will stop soon and hope they will all get along...

just saying you are a GOOD sister...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robke said:

I would say that he is indeed barkeing cause she is entering his domain...but no doubt will stop soon and hope they will all get along...

just saying you are a GOOD sister...

Thanks Rob! I think I'm more fond of the dog than the family...

She's really gorgeous and so loving, but she has never been around other dogs before so she has no idea how to play with them! Tsunami bows and then barks very loudly at her so I'm guessing he really wants her to play with him and gets frustrated because she doesn't know how to respond...she has no training, we managed 'sit' today so at least progress! At least there was no growling or fights...I think the two boys are clear about them being in charge! Smokey's just glad there's someone else that Tsunami can chase around and B likes his new 'sheep' very much as he spent the morning herding her in the garden...Huskies do not take kindly to being herded around you know ;)

:rofl:

• Like 3

Thanks, she's more wild & hyper than the Huskies right now...but she does catch on and learn easier! So far only her and B had a growl because of food (he's a little bit possessive) and thankfully Tsunami's barking stopped. :)

Everyone is being very diplomatic  -   I have gaffa tape across my mouth about your brother.    I don't know you very well -  but I love you and your big heart.    I am so glad that Tsunami is inviting her to play  -  it shows he isn't worried about her being there.    She will learn how to play  and both their lives will be enriched.

God bless your heart.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

Everyone is being very diplomatic  -   I have gaffa tape across my mouth about your brother.    I don't know you very well -  but I love you and your big heart.    I am so glad that Tsunami is inviting her to play  -  it shows he isn't worried about her being there.    She will learn how to play  and both their lives will be enriched.

God bless your heart.

Lol, don't worry a lot of people feel like you! 

I mean it's not ideal to add another dog right now as kibble prices are through the roof suddenly here with the weak Rand, but I'm not letting him just leave her somewhere or send her off to the SPCA to be put down...she's a pedigree dog that cost a lot (more than all 3 mine cost together!) So since she gets along she can stay...

She'll just have to learn some manners and basic obedience! She's a lot better today, but now Tsunami keeps mounting her :( she's not spayed, but his balls were chopped so he shouldn't really get excited and she's not in season right now. 

I'm hoping she'll learn to play by watching the others interact? Right now she doesn't even run after toys and she just ducks away when they approach her to play...

4 hours ago, loudlucky said:

She's a lot better today, but now Tsunami keeps mounting her :( she's not spayed, but his balls were chopped so he shouldn't really get excited and she's not in season right now. 

That's just dominance... Niko does it all the time to Ghost - she's spayed, he has no balls.

1 hour ago, loudlucky said:

oh yeah and the obnoxious BC is 2 years old today!

IMG_20160605_142017.jpg

Happy Birthday!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Not always dominance if they're playing he could just be getting over excited n sometimes they hump instead

Actually good to read this.. because Niko is ALWAYS humping Ghost.. it's a bit ridiculous, really.

34 minutes ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

Your brother is a douche n I'm being polite , she's lucky she's got u

^^^ Yep

• Like 1

I don't think its dominance... He tends to only do this to female dogs he's familiar with ;)

He gets so hyped up and excited and then he keeps humping them! He bites (not really biting more like if you would take it with your hand) at her 'elbows'  when he bows to play, but she has no clue what to do and then he starts his humping...

I obviously have to get Lilly's confidence up, but also without having to 'punish' Tsunami for his behaviour. Removing him just makes it worse right now :( he's already jealous and a bit moody since she arrived... Tried having them all sit outside for treats (low value for him) and he kept jumping the queue and stomping down in front of all the other dogs to get all the treats...which is actually good that he's gotten so confident, but now he's being pushy & rude!

I also think he's going to pass B as the dominant one soon as he flattens the poor Border Collie these days! And Tsunami's a lot bigger than a Labrador or Golden now as well!

• Like 1

So apparently Lilly is very much trainable... She figured that Tsunami keeps getting food for riding the skateboard so she wanted to try too, not bad for 5 minutes of training! That's the difference between a Labrador and a Husky :P I must say that Tsunami actually learns pretty quick these days...but not as quick as a Lab!

• Like 3

I don't think its dominance... He tends to only do this to female dogs he's familiar with [emoji6]

He gets so hyped up and excited and then he keeps humping them! He bites (not really biting more like if you would take it with your hand) at her 'elbows'  when he bows to play, but she has no clue what to do and then he starts his humping...

I obviously have to get Lilly's confidence up, but also without having to 'punish' Tsunami for his behaviour. Removing him just makes it worse right now [emoji20] he's already jealous and a bit moody since she arrived... Tried having them all sit outside for treats (low value for him) and he kept jumping the queue and stomping down in front of all the other dogs to get all the treats...which is actually good that he's gotten so confident, but now he's being pushy & rude!

I also think he's going to pass B as the dominant one soon as he flattens the poor Border Collie these days! And Tsunami's a lot bigger than a Labrador or Golden now as well!

Lily is so lovely!! I make Harper and Hento lie down next to each other when one gets more jealous of the other one or gets too over excited, neither is acceptable in this house and the having to lie down puts them both back on the same level. We also practice being patient by always treating/feeding/letting the most patient one go first or eat first (so usually Hento lol). I don't really buy into the whole dominance theory but this does seem to encourage better behaviour in our case.

Tsunami is still a baby, he just has lots to learn!

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lilly is not really trained yet and Tsunami does not respond at all when in his 'humpty dumpty' mood! So I can't even get him to respond to a simple 'sit'. I usually pull him off and remove him from the other dogs...so he either gets put inside/outside/at the other side of the yard. But that doesn't do much right now. At the moment he is humping less, so hopefully he'll see that there's other things to do in life...

Yes, he's still a pup so lots to learn and hopefully he gets calmer as he grows older, but as Lilly gets used to them she should become more outgoing and hopefully stand up to him ;)

I usually treat the calmest one first (who obeys the comnand given) I definitely do not treat Tsunami when he bullies in front of the other dogs! He was a bit rude today with the skateboard (as the old one was really only 'his' to play on) so he kept pushing the other dogs away from it...and also I think he's smarter than I give him credit for because he kept running over B's feet with the skateboard!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So after the dogs repeatedly being too much of 'terrorists' for Lilly to cope with I found her the most amazing home ever! Being not used to dogs, she was way too overwhelmed with these three hyperactive turbo engines on Redbull!

A friend of mine mentioned that her neighbour recently lost her young Labby girl after a cancer operation and her other dog and she was not coping with the loss... So she came and met Lilly and fell in love! She went home to 'decide' on it and came back a few days later so that her other dog can meet Lilly in the park and go for a walk...

IMG-20160623-WA0004.jpg

And as you can see on the photo they became best friends and Lilly has an owner who now loves her very much and gives her the best care you can imagine! She gets spoiled way more than here and gets more attention (my 3 were a bit jealous!) and training time than I could spend on her...and she helps to mend a broken heart over the loss of her beloved furbaby!

• Like 3

I am glad Lily has found a forever home - she certainly looks to be settling in nicely - great that she has found a friend who does not bully her,and will give her time to settle in and get used to having another dog around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfpup said:

I am glad Lily has found a forever home - she certainly looks to be settling in nicely - great that she has found a friend who does not bully her,and will give her time to settle in and get used to having another dog around.

Yes, the other dog is a Lab cross so a lot gentler than these hooligans!

The lady updates me regularly and they have all adjusted well and are doing great! She even gets to sleep on the bed with her new owner and doggy sister!

It's wonderful to find such great people who are willing to give a dog another chance at a good life!

• Like 1