My dog is getting bored of her food

In the past few days my husky has not been too bothered about her food we will feed her on a morning and it will last her hours. She just doesn't seem to be interested in it anymore but it's never bothered her before she is 11months old and people keep telling me she looks slim but I thought huskys were slim build anyway. She gets plenty of excersice and is moulting we have kept her on the same food since she was a puppy and help or advice would be great 

image.jpeg

You are completely right, huskies are supposed to be a slim build and she certainly doesn't look underweight from the photo you provided.   You should not be able to visually see the ribs but if you gently feel their bodies you should be able to feel them. 

Huskies are good at self regulating their intake, however there are also plenty who are fussy eaters and often hold out in the hopes of getting rewarded with something better.  It sounds like you are free feeding (leaving the bowl down for them to eat from).  If I'm right then what we usually recommend is to only offer the food at certain times a day.   At 11 months old she can be fed twice per day.  so morning and evening put down a portion of food in her bowl and leave it there for a while.  Then take it away until the next meal time.  You might find that this helps get her into a routine of eating at certain times.   

Does the food brand you use offer a variation in flavours?  If she's getting the same one time and time again then it could also be that she's just bored with it an fancies a change.  I would try to stick within the same brand as any food switch from one thing to another should be done gradually over a week or two to avoid any digestive upset occurring.  Doesn't happen to all dogs but for some, a food change is a very dicey game to play. 

Thank you! Feels o much better now. People keep telling to add meat with her biscuits dos he gains weight but at her last weigh she was perfect! And I don't want to that cause they might digest it differently. She gets it from a site called tails and it comes with a variety of flavours in it so not just one type. And no I can definetely not see her ribs but can feel them when I stroke her. And yes I read somewhere that if she doesn't eat it with in 15 mins to remove the food so that's what I'm starting to do today. just worried she isn't eating enough now and will loose weight cause of it

Yeah could be cause it's literally only the last few days she has started to do it. But then she wants everyone else's food! I think I may have been giving her too many treats as I sometimes mix fish in with her biscuits but she will pick it all out and leave the biscuits. Should I just leave her to ride it out as she will soon start eating it again or give her something else so she doesn't look as slim as everyone says 

Ghost went through that a bit... so I went through the whole "oh let's add something to her food to get her to eat..."  and then she wouldn't eat unless we had added something to her food.  So when I was sick of that, I just gave her 10-15 minutes.. if she didn't eat (plain food) then I picked up the bowl until her next meal time..  Eventually she got the idea.. there are still times she won't eat now, but I just take it like sometimes we humans don't feel like eating either.  With Ghost, I've noticed I CAN'T change the flavor of her food, or she won't eat... (like I can't change her from pacific stream formula TOTW to another TOTW flavor...)

• Like 1

Yeah that's the only thing I'm worried about now is the fact that if I add something to her food to get her to eat it and gain weight she will want/expect it all the time and won't eat it unless something gets added just been to the vets to get her weighed and her weight is fine just at the bottom end so they recommended adding some chicken to eat to give her a protein/weight boost 

Hi what is it you're feeding her at the moment? I fed Astro Arden Grange and he became really picky at around the same age, I left it for a while before changing. I changed to Canagan which is still a kibble but 60% meat and he loves it!

She has her own tailored made food from tails. She has had that since last year and had no problems with it at all but recently she has got so picky like I will mix in some apple or cucumber and she will pick that out and leave the rest. Yesterday she didn't even touch her food at all! 

She is fine within herself still go for walks all the time and is a generally happy dogs. I took her to the vets today to get weighed and they said she looked fine and was a lovely dog. She hasent had me worried enough to take her to vets as other people have told me there dog has done this before and they was fine.