Jack Russells

I just wondered if anyone has any experience in owning a Jack Russell? I met a lovely one at the rescue the other week and he got on so well with Astro, and he's still there! Would have to see if he's still there when I get back from holiday, but any advice about the breed would be great

Also Astro stays in a crate, does anyone crate their dogs in the same cage (once they are used to each other of course) or would it be best to have them in 2 separate crates? Astro might even be better behaved with another dog, so there might not be the need for a crate if I got another one!

They can be VERY barky little dogs.

They will bark at anyone coming to the door, even people they know. they will bark at pidgeons on the garden fence 

at people outside the garden fence.

They can also have extreme little big man syndrome

They will challenge bigger dogs to prove they are not scared, although they actually are.

As for crating two dogs together.

My guys are never crated at home, however at camp we have an extra large crate and they both go in together quite happily with no issues.

Had one as a kid. They are great little dogs, full of energy but some can be very bossy! (Or get nippy)

Mine was perfectly crate trained and she was relatively obedient (after classes). I won't crate dogs together, especially big & small, but I know of people who do. I just feel they should have their safe places seperately.

I don't see why there should be a problem as long as the dogs get along. Their personality should work out good with a Husky ;)

Don't they have a different name now?  Seems to me I read or heard on TV that Jack Russel Terriers were no longer called by that moniker.  Maybe I was dreaming again.  Anyway, not owned one, not very popular around our parts, but they do look rather spiffy.

Thanks guys! This one didn't seem very barky or nippy when I met him with Astro (we did a sponsored walk for the rescue and he was one of the rescue dogs they brought along) although I have heard they can be like that. He didn't bark at Astro at all, they just sniffed and then played! Astro gets on with smaller dogs really well so that wouldn't be an issue. I hope he's still there when I get back!

My neighbour has a jack Russell and it certainly likes to bark at everything under the sun, lol. It's also very firey but good at catching small prey, I think they are of the hunting dog family but not entirely 100%.

The best way to know how they'll get on initially is with a controlled meeting. Fingers crossed things go well. Xx

Sent via the power of telepathy.