blood donation

goingsolo

We had an interesting letter yesterday from our vet asking  if we are interested in Solo becoming a blood donor. I never knew this existed so phoned the coordinator.  It involves a simple test/screen then the hard part keeping him still for 10 minutes whilst a pint is taken.  She was very reassuring,  if at any time he is unhappy they stop and half of donors dont give on their first visit as they want it to become regular so keeping the dog happy is paramount done usually with treats. As a reward he will get a new toy. Im waiting now for the service to phone and make appointment (it will be in June) and will let you know how it goes. I think Charlie relieved he's too small lol.

• Like 3

What a good idea. I didn't realise they did this but now that I'm thinking about it, dogs do need transfusions under certain circumstances do where did I think it came from?!

Sent via the power of telepathy.

My Cain who went over the bridge just before Xmas was a blood  donor since before we rescued him  -  it was  a disc on his collar that let us know it was possible.  He donated right up until we found out he had cancer.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So today was the day. The pbb staff were great calm throughout and taking it at his pace (with a load of yummy treats!) They took it step by step and explained everything. Solo was a star, he didnt flinch when they clipped his neck, took blood and on the table he was so relaxed his heartbeat went down and he was wagging his tail whilst having 2 nurses tickle him. It took 6 minutes for the blood to be taken then he got a drink of water, more treats and a squeaky ball. There is a 50/50 chance they dont donate on first go so he did great. I will post a picture in a couple of days when it is out on their fb site.

• Like 6