suitable anti-pull lead

wolfpup

Marley is a woolly - as you may have noticed from his pictures  -  he is also a serial puller on the lead - I swear he could pull a sled on his own!

I researched anti-pull leads - as I have arthritis of the spine and can only hold him for around 10 - 20 metres before the pain kicks in, (hubby thinks nothing of a 5 mile walk and just lets him pull)  and I settled on the Dog and Field make because it is a round soft rope rather than the flat type of anti-pull leads which could end up very close to - or in his eyes as he fights so much with the lead  (he thinks he should be in control of course).

However I have a big problem with it  -  because his fur is long and everything appears to adhere to it  -  the lead just gets caught up in his fur and the slip ring does not work because it is caught up in his fur  -  thus it just gets tighter and tighter as he is fighting with it - but does not loosen off when he stops as it should.

He is in dog training - however when in class he walks normally and behaves like a dog   -  its after class that he reverts to his normal husky "I need to be 20 miles away NOW!" mode of 'walking'.

Can anyone suggest an anti pull face collar/lead that is suitable for a longer haired dog please.    Otherwise I will never be able to walk my lovely puppy.

We used petsafe front leading harnesses, but the walkyourdogwithlove ones are much nicer. We will be upgrading eventually.

Could you use a halti or gentle leader or would that get tangled up too?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I had a borzoi who used a halti - it was the only way I could control him  -  he was a LOT bigger than me!    However the next two dogs would not adjust to it  - one (spaniel/collie cross) used to get out of it in a minute - and just bite right through it ............... and Marley is 10 times worse than Bernie was.    I will check out the other two mentioned by Robke and BB&S  -  had shied away from a harness because I thought he would just have extra leverage.

Off now to do some research!    Thanks guys

I had a borzoi who used a halti - it was the only way I could control him  -  he was a LOT bigger than me!    However the next two dogs would not adjust to it  - one (spaniel/collie cross) used to get out of it in a minute - and just bite right through it ............... and Marley is 10 times worse than Bernie was.    I will check out the other two mentioned by Robke and BB&S  -  had shied away from a harness because I thought he would just have extra leverage.

Off now to do some research!    Thanks guys

I clip my harness to Harper's collar and actually find I have more control because I have complete hold of her and can grab the back of the harness if I need too.

Is it possible to see how you attach the harness to the collar?    Marley has a new collar (one of those  'half-check' collars - and when not attached to a lead it does give  a few inches of spare length  -  was wondering how to attach the harness to the collar (for backup) as I am a little wary of those 'clip close' types  -  the ones on my cats can just be pulled apart.  I had one on Lunar - and it failed and he got loose  -  luckily he stopped before he hit the road.

• Like 1

Is it possible to see how you attach the harness to the collar?    Marley has a new collar (one of those  'half-check' collars - and when not attached to a lead it does give  a few inches of spare length  -  was wondering how to attach the harness to the collar (for backup) as I am a little wary of those 'clip close' types  -  the ones on my cats can just be pulled apart.  I had one on Lunar - and it failed and he got loose  -  luckily he stopped before he hit the road.

I will try to grab a picture on our next walk :) Harper wears a martingale collar because I didn't think she would be able to get out of it....she can. But when clipped to the harness its pretty escape proof which gives me a lot more confidence. I literally put the lead clip through both the collar and harness link which is pretty easy because of the type of collar she has.

• Like 1

New guy to the forums here but a lifetime dog owner. There are great products out there to ease up on the pressure your dog creates when pulling on a walk but they aren't the first place to look when it comes to solving the pulling problem.

The best thing you can do is teach your dog what you expect from them on a walk. That starts with proper training.  Good leash handling starts with you and extends to your dog.  I'm no trainer but have completed courses that have taught my dog and I how to walk well together.  When your dog knows what you expect, they will walk and heel well and the pulling stops.  Plus you look awesome cause your dog is so well behaved!

Edited by Boins
sentence structure

Thanks for your comments Boins - and there is a lot of sense in what you say, however I have had dogs for almost all of my adult life  (I am 65) and Marley is the only dog I have not YET trained to walk normally.  He has been in training since one week after I got him (I mentioned the training in my original post), already completed puppy Good Citizen (run by the Kennel Club) and is in the next stage class at the moment, ......... and in class behaves perfectly.   However he is one husky born to a sled if ever there was one and as soon as he gets outside instinct takes over.  I will get there - but in the meantime I wanted something to enable me to walk him now without him putting me in bed for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments Boins - and there is a lot of sense in what you say, however I have had dogs for almost all of my adult life  (I am 65) and Marley is the only dog I have not YET trained to walk normally.  He has been in training since one week after I got him (I mentioned the training in my original post), already completed puppy Good Citizen (run by the Kennel Club) and is in the next stage class at the moment, ......... and in class behaves perfectly.   However he is one husky born to a sled if ever there was one and as soon as he gets outside instinct takes over.  I will get there - but in the meantime I wanted something to enable me to walk him now without him putting me in bed for a couple of weeks.

Sorry wolfpup, I promise to get a picture as soon as Harper stays flippin still! She has definitely figured out that harness = walk lol

For us we just had to use something to break the cycle of pulling so we initially used a halti until she figure out how to wriggle out of it right next to a main road! But it was enough to get her out of the habit and to listen to some training :) I think some dogs need a combination of both whereas some are fine with just training.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 09robiha said:

Sorry wolfpup, I promise to get a picture as soon as Harper stays flippin still! She has definitely figured out that harness = walk lol

For us we just had to use something to break the cycle of pulling so we initially used a halti until she figure out how to wriggle out of it right next to a main road! But it was enough to get her out of the habit and to listen to some training :) I think some dogs need a combination of both whereas some are fine with just training.

I have a similar problem - Lunar my Utonagan goes absolutely ballistic when he hears the lead  -  and as hubby takes them out for their first walk around 5.30am - he has to be as quick as possible putting on the leads and getting them out of the door  - and I unfortunately do not live in a detached house in a remote area!    After having had that bad experience with Bernie and the halti I would not even consider it for Marley  (should have been named Houdini).   I have decided to try the harness suggested by Robke and BB&S  -  just deciding on the correct size for him, but want to be able to quickly attach the harness to his collar - just in case he manages to get it off - thinking maybe a carabina going through the loop of the harness and his half-check collar  -  the ring hangs down far enough when not attached to a normal lead.

1 hour ago, 09robiha said: Sorry wolfpup, I promise to get a picture as soon as Harper stays flippin still! She has definitely figured out that harness = walk lol

For us we just had to use something to break the cycle of pulling so we initially used a halti until she figure out how to wriggle out of it right next to a main road! But it was enough to get her out of the habit and to listen to some training [emoji4] I think some dogs need a combination of both whereas some are fine with just training.

I have a similar problem - Lunar my Utonagan goes absolutely ballistic when he hears the lead  -  and as hubby takes them out for their first walk around 5.30am - he has to be as quick as possible putting on the leads and getting them out of the door  - and I unfortunately do not live in a detached house in a remote area!    After having had that bad experience with Bernie and the halti I would not even consider it for Marley  (should have been named Houdini).   I have decided to try the harness suggested by Robke and BB&S  -  just deciding on the correct size for him, but want to be able to quickly attach the harness to his collar - just in case he manages to get it off - thinking maybe a carabina going through the loop of the harness and his half-check collar  -  the ring hangs down far enough when not attached to a normal lead.

Hento and Harper whine which is 100 billion times more annoying than if they would just bark or howl, and Harper tends to get the zoomies if we wait around too long. Glad we are not the only ones out at the ungodly hour! I have to do the same and snap everything on quick so she doesn't wake everyone up ) another reason I have skipped using another halti. That sounds similar to us, so should work :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 09robiha said:

Hento and Harper whine which is 100 billion times more annoying than if they would just bark or howl, and Harper tends to get the zoomies if we wait around too long. Glad we are not the only ones out at the ungodly hour! I have to do the same and snap everything on quick so she doesn't wake everyone up ) another reason I have skipped using another halti. That sounds similar to us, so should work :)

Haha sorry but that sounds more amusing than the mud incident!

My two Huskies have learnt from the start that they go nowhere when they misbehave! Even if it meant putting the harness & leash away for 5-10 minutes and going on with doing something else! Now B the BC sounds more like yours!!! You have to catch him first to put the harness on...if you can get him! Could take up to 20 minutes of him running around and then who feels like a walk???

7 hours ago, 09robiha said: Hento and Harper whine which is 100 billion times more annoying than if they would just bark or howl, and Harper tends to get the zoomies if we wait around too long. Glad we are not the only ones out at the ungodly hour! I have to do the same and snap everything on quick so she doesn't wake everyone up ) another reason I have skipped using another halti. That sounds similar to us, so should work [emoji4]

Haha sorry but that sounds more amusing than the mud incident!

My two Huskies have learnt from the start that they go nowhere when they misbehave! Even if it meant putting the harness & leash away for 5-10 minutes and going on with doing something else! Now B the BC sounds more like yours!!! You have to catch him first to put the harness on...if you can get him! Could take up to 20 minutes of him running around and then who feels like a walk???

Hahaha its amusing when it's not 5:30 in the morning and your trying to be quiet! I have tried sitting there for 5 minutes while they calm down and for up to 30 minutes..neither had calmed down, in fact I think they just riled each other up even more so we just get ready and ask that everyone sits nicely at the door before we leave :)

Oh...and don't talk to me about the mud incident because it may have happened again...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, wolfpup said: Mud incident?????????  Missed that one - sounds intriguing   (and funny)  

Unfortunately there were no pics! [emoji3]

But it sounds like Harper has a (muddy) point to make...

Haha well a lets just stay a lovely stroll down at the riverbank turned into my bum hitting the floor in a HUGE pile of mud when Harper decided she wanted to be on the other side...I really didn't think she would try to jump over attached to her lead. I was so very wrong! Walking 3 miles home with the whole of my backside covered in mud is definitely one of the most embarrassing things to happen to me 😂

Not too sure what happened this time, one minute we were walking along the canal, the next I was on the floor with Harper looking suitably embarrassed that her human would do such a stupid thing....

• Like 1

I have used this harness for the last two years with Chula. http://freedomnopullharness.com/

I manufactured my own "training leash" but wish I had gotten the one that can be purchased along with the harness. Because it clips to both the back and the front, it provides various options/configurations for when out walking. If you clip to just the front and the dog pulls, it will give them a squeeze to let them know they're pulling too hard. If you clip to both the front and back rings, and the dog pulls or jumps, it flips them around back towards you. Eventually they get bored/tired of getting flipped around. I prefer it to the harnesses that only have a front clip because I feel this gives me more control over her if she does decide to go after a squirrel.

• Like 1

I've just ordered the Walk your dog with love harness and lead (luxury model)  -  hope it works  -  I could have bought a pair of shoes with what it cost   :o.   I really wanted the sapphire blue one - but sensibility won out in the end and I got the black one as he is getting blacker by the day it will fit in with his coat

• Like 1

I've been using wydwl harnesses for four years now, they are effective. Of course they are not a substitute to training your dog loose lead walking but they are very useful. [emoji4]

Sent via the power of telepathy.

• Like 1

In class he walks loose lead with the best of them  -  its outside when "Mr Hyde" takes over.   As hubby allows him to pull - I have to be able to take him out a couple of times a day in order to continue his training in other areas besides the classroom and the lounge.  I WILL get there - its just a case of who is the most stubborn (I think that one is a draw) - and who has the most patience  (I win hands down)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wolfpup said:

In class he walks loose lead with the best of them  -  its outside when "Mr Hyde" takes over.   As hubby allows him to pull - I have to be able to take him out a couple of times a day in order to continue his training in other areas besides the classroom and the lounge.  I WILL get there - its just a case of who is the most stubborn (I think that one is a draw) - and who has the most patience  (I win hands down)

I think the problem you actually have is that he is allowed to pull (by your hubby) and then with you he is confused about it because the trainer told me with Huskies you need to be 100% consistent all the time ;)

I see it with Smokey...she pulls way worse than Tsunami, even though she is half his size! You wont believe the strengh that skinny little dog has in her! I doubt that she will even stop pulling for a choke chain or punishment (not that I'd use that!) She just is dead set on pulling anyone or everything... Maybe I'll take her to the trainer in the future and see if he has advice as I tried all techniques he showed me!

• Like 1

The harness arrived this morning  -  after me complaining yesterday about non arrival  -  it turns out they sold it whilst not having it in stock  (said it was stuck in Customs) - they offered me the standard one - but they had the sapphire blue in the luxury one in stock so Marley ended up with the fancy blue one I originally wanted before sensibility took over :cheeky:

The dogs were both present as I took it out of the packaging and held it up.   Marley immediately shrunk down and started backing out of the door quietly - obviously hoping I hadn't seen him.    I called him - and he bolted into the garden :pufff:

I went out to get him and he immediately went into submissive mode  (flat on back, legs akimbo - but arched around so I could not turn him right way up.    That dog is WAAAAAYYYYY too smart!    

I eventually got it fitted and on him properly (very easy to put on) - shut Lunar in the back garden and took Marley for a walk round the block.      That doesn't sound like much - but I've not been round the block for over 6 months on my own, let alone with a dog.    For the first time ever Marley waited whilst I locked the front door and walked beside me to the path - we got to the end of the road  (40 yards or so) without incident - then another dog and owner came round the other bend on the opposite side of the road.   Marley immediately launched himself at the other dog - and looked really bemused when he found himself facing me instead of the other dog.

He then tried to get out of the harness - failed miserably - and decided he would try running away from it  -  but instead of pulling me behind him I only felt about 1/10th of the pull he normally gives.    He seemed really confused by being pulled slightly to the side when he wanted to go forwards.   He is physically incapable of putting the pressure into a pull that he can without the harness on because it turns him slightly sideways.

I don't know about him - but I thoroughly enjoyed the walk (despite the pain)  :).   Tomorrow I am going to take them both round the block.    I am really impressed with it.    After about 300 yards I started to implement the training from class and for about 10 yards I actually got him walking beside me  !!

John was furious this morning as Marley almost had him over - so tomorrow hubby is going to use the harness  -  and if he likes it as well we will also get one for Lunar  -  who in fairness does walk well on a lead ...................... until he sees another dog and then he can put Marley to shame.

I can see many walks ahead of us now.  Can't wait for the next training class  -  the head trainer  (there are about 8 of them) will not believe the difference.     As numbers in class have dropped off we now have two trainers for 4 dogs in our section of the class.  

All  in all a very productive day with an item that actually fulfills its promise and does what it says it does.   Happy customer here.

• Like 2