This can happen when...

robke

So sad, but the fault lies with the owner.

Poor Husky followed it's instincts,

If the owner had kept it on a lead (as the law states it should have been) then this couldn't have happened.

RIP Max :(

• Like 2

Just keep your dogs on the lead...this is believed the most worst case of sheep-worrying in living memory...

So sad and so not necessary....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3483863/Flock-100-sheep-worth-17-000-worried-death-dogs-spooked-rushing-corner-field-crushed-died-shock.html

A very tragic tale that only serves to reignite the perpetual 'on lead/off lead' debate.

Even though Luna is the most obedient dog you could ever have the pleasure of meeting, (whilst in the confines of our house and garden), you can immediately see her posture change, (as soon as she passes through the front gate), and I then know that she is no longer that totally 'predictable' companion that shares our home.

Skye, (being much younger and somewhat immature), has yet to earn my full trust, (when in the house), and I would certainly not trust her 'off lead' anywhere that is not contained within a suitable perimeter fence!

I fully understood and appreciated this fact long before I began my venture into Husky 'partnership' but that is not to say that I have never wished that things could be otherwise and that my animals would behave differently.

There are just too many examples, unfortunately, that this is not the case and, (sooner or later), a simple distraction is all it takes to start a series of events into motion that we may then regret for the rest of our lives.

I am reasonably confident in the 'off lead' behaviour of Cassie, (doo-lally Labradoodle), and Lysa, (Speccled Sprollie), and they will both walk 'off lead', (as and when the location allows), whilst I am walking them alongside the Husky's, (which are always kept 'on lead').

But . . .

- I will not even let the non Husky's 'off lead' if we are walking anywhere close to any fields containing livestock - as any dog can potentially succumb to their inner genetic prey drive.

• Like 3

I looked at the comments on the original post some one tried blaming the farmer for not having his livestock in a secur area

The whole story is unfortunatly written in a way to make the dog owner look blameless and teh farmer to be a monster

Problem is its the dog owner who is at fault 

People are posting in suppoert of her

i feel sorry for the dog but being from a farming background i understand this from both sides of the story

she should be banned form keeping animals for life its her fault

• Like 1

I think this comes down to not understanding the nature of the animal you care for.  Which I believe fully you need to do your research before adopting an animal. Even right down to the breed.
Husky's are greatly different than your run of the mill mutt.  Do your research.

• Like 1

Our first Husky's breeder lived on a farm.  Her dogs were confined to a fenced area.  However, one night, both managed to get out while everyone was asleep.  The dogs teamed together and were gone most of the night.  Both dogs returned home, blood soaked.  Of course the breeder knew something was not right, but thought perhaps it was a deer or other animal.  They made repairs to the confinement area, and then one day, the same two Huskies managed to get out when no one was at home. Ran into a nearby farmer's field and took down a calf.  The farmer was working in his field saw what happened and shot both dogs.  He collected them, brought them over to the breeder's farm and apparently, the night run they had recently taken, they also took down one of the same farmer's calves.  They compensated the farmer.  Who was at fault?  If one were to say the farmer, they'd be sadly mistaken.  Letting a Husky run lead free takes on a level of responsibility that is often not given much thought.  The end result can be devastating and unfortunately, it is the Husky that usually bears that end result.  Love your Husky!

• Like 3

This is so sad and a familiar story for me as Astro's dad was shot by a farmer [emoji17] This is why it annoys me when people say I'm cruel for not letting Astro off lead! I never would and never will, totally agree it's the owners responsibility. RIP Max x

• Like 1