Food advice please :-)

When we got our puppy at 11 weeks he was being fed Bakers and had very runny poo so we weaned him off gradually like you're supposed to and tried him with James Wellbeloved fish and rice. His poo got no better so we took him to the vets and had samples etc done..all came back negative so vet gave him the prokolin and told us to feed him chicken and rice and scrambled egg for a few days.

This went on and still no better even with a bland diet so she told us to wean him off the JWB and try him with Chappie wet food which helped firm him up slightly. It gives him terrible wind to the point where he cries with it and he's started having really runny poo again the last few days, so I really don't want to keep him on it.

I'm at my wits end with the whole thing..it's been going on 6 weeks now and I really need to find a food he can tolerate so he can put a bit weight on. I don't mind paying for something decent and am preferably looking for something with a high meat content and not so much cereal etc.

Any ideas of what to try him on? He doesn't have any treats at the minute apart from dried meat and carrot. Also how long should you persevere when your'e trying new food?

Thanks in advance

Julie

Hi Julie,

I had similar issues with my boy Tsunami and the vet finally found he had tolerance issues with rice! So now he's on kibble with a beet filler...and he is doing great!

Maybe read the dog food labels and see what the main ingredients are ;) Usually its some kind of grain like rice, I've heard people here give the kind with corn in for allergic dogs, but it did not work with Tsunami, only the beet based kibble works with him...good luck, hope you find the problem!

Oh and carrots give him runny poop too ;)

• Like 1

We had exactly the same problem with Ice. This went on for months and months until we had success with chappie but only the original flavour not the chicken and rice one. Have you tried going grain free yet, some dogs have an intolerance to wheat and rice products like loud lucky said . Pets at home do a grain free wainwrights food which is one of the more reasonably priced ones. Might be worth a look.

• Like 1

Cheza did the same thing.  I had to change to all sorts of food till we found the sweet spot.  (All vet recommended food mind you) Here is what did it for her. (Dont know if you can get it where you are though)

Eukenuba puppy - under 1 year

Purina 1 lamb - Now

Hope this helps

• Like 1

Our two had a similar issue they were also originally on Bakers, we tried all different kinds of other brands too. We have recently been feeding them Taste of the wild which has completely sorted out the issue and we have also noticed a big difference in their fur too it seems alot better condition.

• Like 1

Astro is on Canagan, that is grain free and is 60% meat 40% vegetables. Be careful to not go onto a higher meat content then that straight away, as it can make them poorly if it's not done gradually [emoji4]

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I started him on Taste of the Wild puppy grain free a few weeks ago and he's doing great on it thankfully and I think the ingredients are pretty good. He's tolerating it great and no more runny poo's which also means he's starting to fill out a bit too and gain weight..plus his coats looking in fab condition too so all good :-)

• Like 2