Fear anxiety training...

22 minutes ago, loudlucky said:

@09robiha That's good to hear!

The walking part will take time for her to sit in strange places...if there's only a hint of fear or she's too focused on a dog/cat you can forget about it at the start! Took two weeks of taking Tsunami to quiet parking lots or fields (by car) to practice getting him to sit anywhere...and still then he would hesitate in a stressfull situation! :( So it really does take a lot of time and effort! The easiest way I taught him to sit without treats was by using it while playing with him, he does not get the toy unless he obeys to sit! Best thing the trainer suggested! He has to 'work' to get the toy, the food, the privilege to get on the couch etc...make Harper sit fore those simple things in the home without giving her treats (what she gets or getting on the couch is the reward). As soon as I did that, he was a dream outside! Well, for me anyways, as he wouldn't sit for the trainer the last session :rofl:

Noises in the home is perfect for the start! Once she is used to you doing it, then get friends to do it and you'll be amazed at how quickly they ignore something they used to go crazy over...

Could you maybe play her tired a bit with tugging or fetching before a walk? It helps at the start if they have less energy ;) I saw with Tsunami that the more tired he was the better & calmer he reacted to the things that scare him...so now we play fetch for 10 minutes before he goes for a 'walk' in the street to get used to the dogs :D

How is she with 'look at me' at your place when there's no distractions? Will she do it without a treat?

lso I know she's younger than Tsunami but I forgot how old...will go see if you mentioned in the other post

@loudlucky We already make Harper and Hento sit/work for everything, so much so people think we're absolutely nuts! She can sit without treats, and will for a toy at home/in the field when its quiet, but I think at the moment she's just too over stimulated outside the house to do it. It's like as soon as she sees a dog/cat/rabbit etc she just cant hear or focus on anything else. She is getting much better though, when we get to the field she is the first to sit to be let of the lead which I never thought would happen. Both of ours will only listen to certain people too, which has infuriated some strangers that tried to call them over to pet them and have then just got ignored :') apparently my dogs are ignorant according to one person!

I really hope so because barking at the door is just getting old!

I have to admit I usually like to get out of the door ASAP when I get in from work, and thought that keeping a calm atmosphere pre-walk might keep everyone calmer, but we can always give it a try. She is much less reactive on the way home than on the way there, so tiring them out a bit beforehand might help...

She is 9 months, nearly 10. Very young I know so some of the excitement might go if/when she calms down as she gets older, but I really want to nip barking and lunging in the bud. The bigger she gets the less 'cute' it is and the harder she is to control.

Thanks so much for your advice. My other half says he has none of these problems walking her (don't think that's true, or he notices less) and that I am just being daft, so its nice to get advice from someone who gets it.

• Like 1

Oh wow, Tsunami just turned 10 months, so they're basically the same age!:rofl:

Before I went to the trainer Tsunami had no focus and barely listened for treats, couldn't get a training session with him without being frustrated... So the trainer said *I* was the problem :o I went about it the wrong way...and after just two sessions with the trainer I could get him to focus! You have to praise at the exact right time, touch them a lot while walking, reassure then, make sure you have a strong bond...all these things are needed (apparently) before you can train them! And I was not doing all of it enough or right according to the trainer, but once he showed or told me when to do what it really worked!

I disagree, I do not want my dogs to obey any person calling them over! If they are with me and have permission I'll tell the dog to do this or that for the person, but I wouldn't feel that they were safe if they ran off to a stranger calling them!

Playing before a walk works wonders! Or at least for my two...I also play with them a bit before training, so they're not too hyper ;)

Some people don't really notice the pulling or lunging...they are either used to it or don't care... It might be that she listens to him more or she feels 'safer' when walking with him. Tsunami wasn't scared of half of the stuff when the trainer first walked him!!! It has a lot to do with if you are nervous or think he's going to do something, then someway you are projecting the energy onto the dog, or so I was told! You have to believe in the dog and encourage him/her to achieve the goals! I know you can end up looking like a crazy clown, but if I can get Tsunami to do something this way or relax a bit, then people can think whatever they want about how I'm acting goofy!

I definitely thought Tsnuami was older for some reason! Clearly we should come over to Cape Town so the puppies can play ;) I did read that dogs go through fear periods as puppies, so maybe 10months is one of the ages where that happens??

One thing I have always been told about dog training, especially when I am doing agility with Hento, is that its YOU that is doing it wrong, not the dog, and yep I definitely think a lot of the time it is me not Harper that is the problem which is why I am hoping our training will teach both of us how to work as a team. Me and Hento had an instant bond when we met and are very in tune with each other. I can just move my hand and he will respond, but Harper is very different. I think that is part of my problem, I know what I want to do, but I'm not quite sure how to do it.  As soon as we can afford it I might look into a trainer to teach me what cues I should be looking for etc as I feel I am always JUST missing things.

My other half will let them both pull 'because its what dogs do' so he has been kicked of dog walking duty until I can convince him otherwise!

• Like 1

Oh the pups would enjoy a playdate :D I think its after 7 months to about where we are now...and then again at 15 months around ;)

Funny about you getting everything right with Hento! My BC boy that passed away from cancer last year was like that, no formal training, no effort from my part, he just knew what I wanted! We were so synced that he automatically followed me, stopped at a curb etc! That's the reason the trainer said I couldn't get Tsunami to do anything... I got him as pup just after Wollie passed and it was probably a wrong time! While I know he'll never replace Wollie it just took 'work' to form a special bond with Tsunami...but we're getting there!

How is the agility going with Harper? I would love to do that with T, but there's no place near where I live and right now too many people still freak him out :(

I don't mind the pulling that much as long as its not me being dragged along! But to get past the anxiety he needs to stay in place and not be out in front so I can avoid triggers and keep him calm ;) 

Hahaha I love puppy play dates, who doesn't?! I've always wanted to visit Cape Town too, its on our honeymoon list!

Funnily enough that is one thing that Harper does really well, playing with dogs she knows she has absolutely no problem with, and she will approach others off lead just fine.....being a Husky X however she can't be trusted off lead all the time so that's when we have issues! Hopefully I will better equipped at 15 months than now, otherwise I'm pretty sure I am doing something wrong!

It's definitely taken us some work to form a special bond too. I lover Harper to bits, she is my special girl and Hento (aka Fluffybutt) is my special guy, but I was really unexpectedly ill just after we got Harper and was just so knackered for weeks that I don't think I enjoyed her as much as a puppy as I should and we didn't really do much bonding. She is clearly much more attached to OH, which is fine, but as the one who does most of the dogs care in the week we really need to get a better relationship going. Every now and again she does little things that makes me realise she loves me really though :) usually that involves lots of 'kisses' and crawling into bed for a cuddle at 3am!

Harper was signed up to do puppy agility however I felt that working on her fears and anxiety first was more important and that she would struggle in that environment until we get a better handle on things. She is unbelievably fast when she gets going though, so I am pretty sure she will love it when we get started. I also REALLY want to start bikejoring with her when she is old enough, so we have been working on 'Go!' and 'Slow' and 'Stop' in the park which means we have been running up and down looking like right loonies! Need to get started on 'Left' and 'Right' soon, but have no idea how to teach that!  Hento is an absolute whizz at agility. He is just a typical collie, super fast, and pretty good at being accurate even when I am being rubbish! He has a terrible habit of learning a whole course though and then going where he thinks he should go, rather than watching where you want him to go, so he isn't perfect either :')

That's exactly how I feel, if she stays with me I have more control and hopefully she learns that I am there and she has nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Cape Town is awesome, but I might be biased as I grew up here! :D

What's it with Huskies and 3am??? They must be on Russian time or something...Smokey prefers eating that time of the night and then she wants to cuddle in bed!

I was thinking about building some of the agility stuff for them to do in the yard...will see it I get time for that before winter ;)

Maybe @robke or @Jase have some advice for you on the left/right issue, I think its called Ghee and Haw (spelling not sure) but I have no idea how you teach it

• Like 1

i just use...left and right LOL...I know somebody that uses apples and oranges for left and right...LOL

use what ever you are comfy with if you go and run within a team then yes gee and haw would be needed...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robke said:

i just use...left and right LOL...I know somebody that uses apples and oranges for left and right...LOL

Now that should be interesting to see!

I think @09robiha just wants to know how she should teach Harper to go left or right... Do you just say the word each time you turn that way?

• Like 1

yes you say the word when you go that way praise and keep repeating then after a few times you just say the word and they go that direction I just thing it is so useull even for normal walking commands if I want mine to pas by something I just say for example left-by and the pass on the left hand side... and also good is a word for stop  like I use whoa for both walking and running to stop...

am at the moment traing Iwan aswell and heis getting it real quick but am not reinforcing it to much with him as we are still giving his commands in Dutch and English to change him over to English...but he knows left & right

• Like 1

I use Gee and Haw but as Rob says it can be anything or in any language. I use it every time we walk and the volume or repeat of the command intensifies with how sharp a turn I want. It made our leap into sledding so much easier. I also follow each turn with 'good boy' - I also use "on-by" when we pass a dog or cat and "leave it" as well. I use "whoa" when we approach a road we need to cross. 

• Like 1

@robke and @Jase great advice, thank you! I had a look on the internet and there was all this stuff about teaching them to go to a spot and then a cone and then teaching which cone is left and right....just sounded way to complicated to me!

@loudlucky I should probably get our own thread started instead of hijacking yours! However I want to say how glad I am for your advice because it go me out of what could have been a pretty bad situation last night. Some moron on a dirt bike decided to show up on the dog walking field last night (it is a designated dog area) and hurl his dirt bike around, even after being asked to stop. The noise would usually freak both dogs out, Hento usually tries to bolt at motorbike noises, but we stayed calm and treated every time they stopped and looked quietly....and success! Hopefully this will pave the way for the future :) 

Now I promise to start my own thread later so Harper can show of her new pretty harness!

• Like 1

Just now, 09robiha said:

@robke and @Jase great advice, thank you! I had a look on the internet and there was all this stuff about teaching them to go to a spot and then a cone and then teaching which cone is left and right....just sounded way to complicated to me!

that sounds way to complicated to me as well... just say left when turning left..praise...right when going right..praise do that for a while and they will get it quickly otherwise imo they will keep looking for a cone or a spot all the time and not getting your commands...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robke said:

that sounds way to complicated to me as well... just say left when turning left..praise...right when going right..praise do that for a while and they will get it quickly otherwise imo they will keep looking for a cone or a spot all the time and not getting your commands...

Yep - what Rob said :up: Was about to type exactly the same. The cone thing sounds way too weird for me LOL 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robke said:

Thanks @robke, think we will give it a shot on our walk tonight. More running about the field looking like a looney for me!

• Like 1

Just now, Jase said:

Yep - what Rob said :up: Was about to type exactly the same. The cone thing sounds way too weird for me LOL 

need a 2nd person all the time to walk/run ahead with a cone LOLOL

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robke said:

need a 2nd person all the time to walk/run ahead with a cone LOLOL

Hahahaha - yeah, I think the person that came up with the cone idea, may indeed have been smoking cones as the time ;)

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

As Tsunami now has one specific issue left that is escalating and causing concern, he is back at the trainer from Wednesday to work on his issues with barking dogs behind fences ;)

To be continued in this thread for those of you interested in following:

• Like 1

Wow, I have really enjoyed reading this thread, you have done so well. Made me reflect on my mums experience this year. She has a small terrier that appeared to be aggressive to other dogs and it was getting worse. The first so called trainer she saw was old school, worked with discipline. Resorted to some kind of spray collar. Didn't help, I wonder why? Happened across a young lady who was still studying dog psychology, who instantly recognised the problem was fear. Gave some great advice, all based on positive reinforcement. Spent lots of time doing very short walks and taking her home when got scared. She can now walk the block.

Has helped us with Lucy, when she came to us 7 weeks ago, she barked and lunged at anything with four legs.  (Great with people) She can still be nervous meeting the first time, but she now has many neighbourhood friends. Having big brother Logan has boosted her confidence no end. He will stand between her and the perceived threat, then greet the other dog. If it is ok for Logan, then it must be ok for Lucy.

Not sure of her past, but I get the feeling when she was introduced to other dogs, it was to breed. Now she has learnt this doesn't happen and can relax and play. Which is great as 1 month today until Camp.

Your story goes to show how understanding and patience really pays off. Well done.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 8:10 AM, Guinnessman said:

Wow, I have really enjoyed reading this thread, you have done so well. Made me reflect on my mums experience this year. She has a small terrier that appeared to be aggressive to other dogs and it was getting worse. The first so called trainer she saw was old school, worked with discipline. Resorted to some kind of spray collar. Didn't help, I wonder why? Happened across a young lady who was still studying dog psychology, who instantly recognised the problem was fear. Gave some great advice, all based on positive reinforcement. Spent lots of time doing very short walks and taking her home when got scared. She can now walk the block.

Has helped us with Lucy, when she came to us 7 weeks ago, she barked and lunged at anything with four legs.  (Great with people) She can still be nervous meeting the first time, but she now has many neighbourhood friends. Having big brother Logan has boosted her confidence no end. He will stand between her and the perceived threat, then greet the other dog. If it is ok for Logan, then it must be ok for Lucy.

Not sure of her past, but I get the feeling when she was introduced to other dogs, it was to breed. Now she has learnt this doesn't happen and can relax and play. Which is great as 1 month today until Camp.

Your story goes to show how understanding and patience really pays off. Well done.

It's really great to hear that this can get better! I feel like I am always going to have a dog that just cant do other dogs on lead right now, which isn't how I want it to be :( 

What do you think helped with her barking and lunging the most?

20 minutes ago, 09robiha said:

It's really great to hear that this can get better! I feel like I am always going to have a dog that just cant do other dogs on lead right now, which isn't how I want it to be :( 

What do you think helped with her barking and lunging the most?

Lucky mostly. I think it has been a number of factors. We have nearly always had the opportunity to walk away from the perceived threat. Also after two years walking Logan in these same areas (he had same problems) we know so many really nice people who understand. He is such a gentle boy now, they see what we have achieved by this practice. Yes we get some funny looks still when we walk past people with a dancing dog, some have even asked why don't I discipline her. I explain she is scared not naughty. First dog she met with us, after only two days, was a GSD bitch, about 20 months old. Despite Lucy shouting and dancing about the owner let her greet Elsa (who knows Logan very well). Few weeks on they are best buddies. This morning we met a puppy spaniel, managed to get a couple of snaps but missed her rolling on her back to play. We are still very cautious and she can need very gentle introduction to some new faces (especially Collie types) but she is getting there.

I'm sure you will get there, just time and perseverance.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 09robiha said:

@loudlucky how did your meeting go with the trainer yesterday?

@09robiha sorry, I've been too upset to update on here...

Let's just say we had a difference in opinions that I do not want my dog yanked around while on a choke chain! So currently looking for another trainer...

The only reason I have him on one of those Rogz half check collars is because he escapes anything else when he goes into panic mode...and I did not think that literally dragging/yanking him in front of barking dogs would be beneficial for anyone :( he hurt his neck and is not eating that great...but he's fine other than that and not going back again...

So much for positivity...:angry: