What's Your Criteria?

What is your criteria when chosing your vet?

I took into consideration a referral by someone who's opinion I respect along with the following considerations:

You also need to ask around and VISIT to know which one is right. Also, emergency hours practices are very good to know in advance.

I would take the opportunity to visit (with pet or pets in hand) before I committed. If you CAN'T visit the clinic with your pet...and see how the vet(s), tech(s) and reception interact with your pet, that says a lot. I knew immediately after I visited with the local vet's office with my furry family....it was clean, we were welcomed, got the tour of the entire facility, met with the vet and techs who weren't afraid to spend time with the furries (even though it was just a visit). I also asked about payment policy, and other policies so I'd know in advance - for example visitation policies should your pet be hospitalized, etc.

You can't know too much.

A good vet understands the relationship between human and pet and never makes you feel like you ask too many questions, are there too often, or wasting his/her time.

So.....how did you chose yours?

I worked on an urban farm for 8 years, the farm manager's wife is a vet and after a few years, i got a job working with her. I was there for about 2 years and saw / learnt so much!

Ever since, I have taken all my animals to her, it's not local as such to me (there are ones nearer) but i have seen first hand of how the animals are cared for behind the scenes and know that if anything ever happened to my pets, i'd want her to look after them!

Good thread, added to rep

Antony (my fiance) his grandparents have had many pets over the years and there is a little back lane vets in the middle of no where that they swear by they have known the people who own it for years so we automatically took Lex there for his injections and his microchip and they said they will do us a special deal on getting his bits chopped off as they know our family so well!

I remember Antonys grandma took her cat to a different vets once and they said there is nothing we can do for him he will have to be put down and she refused to have him put down she made an appointment with her usual vets and they gave him an injection put him on a drip over night the next day he was like a kitten again and he is still going strong now the other vets just didn't want to help. He had something wrong with his liver but he is right as rain now!

We found our current vet through a recommendation from a friend. The practice is absolutely amazing and the best I have ever come across in a lifetime of pet ownership.

For me, the criteria would be:

• The vet must be an independent practice, not part of a company or corporate group - in other words, the health of the client's animals must take priority over corporate policy.

• The vet must be open and honest and admit when they "don't know" what a problem is!

• The vet must respect the knowledge, experience and insight of the pet owners, not assume that they are thick and gullible and treat them accordingly.

Our vets are more like friends than "doctors" - when our dogs are ill, they seem to feel it as much as we do! When we have to take terminally sick or irretrievable aggressive rescues to be put to sleep, they are as upset as we are and sit with us in tears while we hug the dog close to ease it's way to permanent sleep.

Mick

I worked on an urban farm for 8 years, the farm manager's wife is a vet and after a few years, i got a job working with her. I was there for about 2 years and saw / learnt so much!

Lucky you! I am fortunate at our vet. He's very down to earth and explains things wonderfully. I go so often with my furry family that I've become fast friends with the tech. (I have a cat that goes in every three weeks for a depo shot......poor Kat!)