Husky and Labradoodle?

I'm looking into getting my first husky! I've read how they get lonely and have separation anxiety, so I'd like to get two dogs at once to try and minimize that. I don't know if I can handle two huskies, so I'd like to get a different kind of dog. I'm thinking a labradoodle. I figure that they'll be ok with each other, especially since I want to get them as puppies and raise them together. I know every dog is different, but does anyone have experience raising two dogs of very different breeds together? Is it likely they'll be friends, or will they fight?

Also, if it turns out I'll be working more hours than I anticipate, and won't have a whole lot of time for two puppies, I'm still pretty set on getting a husky, provided I really do have the time to look after it. In this case, how can I provide the husky with enough stimulation to get through the day without supervision?

The breeds of the dogs is not important more the personalities.  As my signature shows mine are not at all alike physically and are quite opposite in personality,  Solo is laid back, likes a fuss sometimes but is generally happy just being by us, Charlie is a lap dog, he has to be sitting on someone he is also the noisy one and the 3 fights they've had he started,  Solo just stands there and let him get on with it till Charlie bit his ear then he had a go and been no more fights! They get on and live together well, they ard roughly same age, we had Charlie as a pup and Solo came along 2 years later when they were adults,  hope this helps xxx there really is no right or wrong it is just finding the right dogs xx

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :wave:

firstly, before making any commitments to buy a pup, it's essential to make sure you know your work schedule for certain.  Last thing you need is to take on the responsibility of a pup and then find you are unable to care for it.   Whilst young, they will need someone to let them out multiple times during the day to go to the toilet and someone to feed them lunch and interact with them.   (Under 6 months old pups are advised to be fed 3 times per day).   

not all huskies will get separation anxiety.  Although I must confess that a new dog and a pup in particular is more likely to suffer from some kind of anxiety at being alone initially.  It's true that they're generally pack orientated but this isn't the case for all.  There are some that are content being only dogs.  It really depends on the dog as they're quite individual. 

Like going solo mentioned the best fit is not judging by breed so much as personality and temperament.  As with people, not all dogs will get along and some will down right dislike each other.  

Ice is crate trained and when left alone he will generally curl up and sleep.

Bear has free run of the house and when left with her favourite toys, she will sleep under our bed all day. She had terrible separation anxiety at first and having Ice for company didn't help with it at all, although there are some others who it has worked for.  Ice on the other hand wasn't fussed about being left alone at all.  They really are very different dogs.  

Good luck.  Xxx

Hidden

I would not get a second puppy immediately. Even with different breeds you run the risk of littermate syndrome. It is generally suggested you wait until at least one is 9-12 months old. 

Also remember that you do not want to shop for puppies, you first want to find your responsible breeder. You want to be willing to wait for the right puppy to be ready, not the ready right now pup. If this is your first siberian, you might consider rescuing an older pup. 

Some websites to visit before you buy:
What to expect from a responsible breeder: 

Links removed accoording to the rules...advertises pups for sale

What a responsibly bred siberian will look like:
http://www.mikulov.org/links/analysis.htm

OFA; where to find the parents listed for hip and eye certifications:
www.offa.org

How to approach a breeder:
https://rufflyspeaking.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/puppy-buyer-ettiquette/

One dog at a time. Siberians can be one-dog dogs, once you're ready you can get a second. Most breeders will not sell to someone with an existing puppy, or sell two puppies at once, as it can cause littermate syndrome along with other issues, not to mention double the stress on you. Take your time, learn about siberian huskies, find a good breeder, get your first pup, then once the time is right find that second. You want to make sure the breed fits your lifestyle as well - your breeder will help you with everything you need so long as you find a good one.

3 hours ago, Mobezilla said:

One dog at a time. Siberians can be one-dog dogs, once you're ready you can get a second. Most breeders will not sell to someone with an existing puppy, or sell two puppies at once, as it can cause littermate syndrome along with other issues, not to mention double the stress on you. Take your time, learn about siberian huskies, find a good breeder, get your first pup, then once the time is right find that second. You want to make sure the breed fits your lifestyle as well - your breeder will help you with everything you need so long as you find a good one.

I agree.  Cheza is a one dog type of gal and she is just fine. Take your time with the breeder too.  I didn't and even though it worked out in the end Cheza and I had a lot of vet bills to get through in the beginning because of poor care. I'm glad I did and some might disagree with me but sometimes a breeder can look good if you dont know what you are looking for and end up being a bad breeder.

Hi & welcome!

I got Smokey (my first Husky) at 9 weeks and got a Border Collie puppy of 8 weeks about 2 months later...and then almost a year later I got Tsunami, my Husky boy. 

Those 2 months of being the only puppy in the house helped Smokey bond more with me...both other pups were more inclined to follow the dog around instead of me (but that could just be their male personalities!)

I'd say get at least a few weeks in between getting puppies and remember to spend time with each separately ;)

Thank you so much, everyone! I'll definitely take your advice. I've thought about it a bit more, and I'm thinking I'm either going to get the husky by itself first, or adopt an older dog, and get the husky later on. And of course I'll make sure I know my work schedule and have an appropriate living place before I get any dogs. I'm willing to wait as long as I need to to ensure the best for the dog, including contacting breeders and getting the right dog.

• 5 years later...

I think it will depend on quite a few things,  the sex and ages of the new dogs,  their temperament as against your dog's temperament etc.   Huskies are not normally territorial,  and don't usually 'start a fight' - although as you know are capable of finishing one.    It would be a good idea to speak to the new neighbour and try introducing the dogs on neutral territory  -  i.e.  out on a walk, and then possibly walk them to their new home together.

The introduction could well be the secret to their new life together as neighbours.