treating fleas with capstar and advantage

FlaHusky

i moved into a new house about a month and a half ago, it had a flea problem. i took up the carpets, put in wood floor and had pest come out and treat the house and lawn. I havent seen any fleas around the house thank goodness but my husky has some fleas on her tummy. before i took her in my new house i had her bathed at a local groomer but i still noticed fleas on her. Not terrible though... I gave her a bath about a week ago with flea shampoo from petsmart and today i gave her one pill of the capstar, which seemed to work very well. iv collected lots of fleas off her body that came to the surface and flushed them after i killed them...

Now my question is... should i give her another bath next? or just apply the tube of advantage that i got for her? i noticed some of that nasty little black flea poop or larva on her in some places. should i bath her tomorrow with dawn or that shampoo again and then wait 24 hours to put advantage on?

You are asking questions about medications and products that I am not familiar with.  We use Frontline Plus on our dogs.  We have not had a flea problem.  I do know that fleas reproduce at an alarming rate, and it only takes a few days and they can become overwhelming. Once fleas are inside, the best method to rid them from a house, is to set off bombs that fog the building. Everyone has to be out for the duration.

Unless someone chimes in that has dealt with the medications and products you are working with, it might not hurt to check with your vet to see if there could be any inverse reaction.

Hidden

You will need to vacuum heavily and often. Try DE around the house and I would consider Comfortis over capstar. You will need to continue this for at least 3 weeks after you don't find them. Theres likely to be another outbreak after the eggs cycle through. Contrary to popular belief, fleas will just as happily live in dustbunnies and the cushions of beds and couches. Use cedar under the cushions and between the matresses and top springs.

Using a fogger should be your absolute last resort.

On 1/1/2016 at 8:44 AM, FlaHusky said:

i moved into a new house about a month and a half ago, it had a flea problem. i took up the carpets, put in wood floor and had pest come out and treat the house and lawn. I havent seen any fleas around the house thank goodness but my husky has some fleas on her tummy. before i took her in my new house i had her bathed at a local groomer but i still noticed fleas on her. Not terrible though... I gave her a bath about a week ago with flea shampoo from petsmart and today i gave her one pill of the capstar, which seemed to work very well. iv collected lots of fleas off her body that came to the surface and flushed them after i killed them...

Now my question is... should i give her another bath next? or just apply the tube of advantage that i got for her? i noticed some of that nasty little black flea poop or larva on her in some places. should i bath her tomorrow with dawn or that shampoo again and then wait 24 hours to put advantage on?

As far as I can remember you have to wait 3 days after a bath or rain to apple Advantage..I don't know if that has changed since I used it last time. I know use Bravecto on both Huskies as recommended by my vet and it works great!

• 5 years later...

I'm not too fond of fleas and the problem with them getting attached on our dog was a serious one. My little Rottweiler was taken to the vet as the bites on her skin were getting too vicious. On top of that we were afraid that the infestation could be passed on to us as well, and I would say it's to see my kids with fleas on them. We Australians are used to all kinds of insects, but this one had to be dealt with, with the help of an expert from prudentpestcontrol.com.au to ensure it's gone forever.