Suka

Elyse

I lost my best friend today. After fighting cancer for 6 months, and doing so well, his condition suddenly took a turn for the worse (surgery complications, they think). He wasn't eating, he wasn't drinking, he couldn't walk around anymore, he was in pain again (despite the cocktail of pain meds he was on). He couldn't get comfortable; he was restless. 

So I made the decision, the one every pet owner dreads making. It was my first time making that call. The vet came over to our house, explained the procedure (what we could expect before, during, and after), and gave him a sedative. After a bit (all the while surrounded by his pack - the people he loved), he went to sleep, then he got the second shot. He stopped breathing within seconds - and that was that. He was gone.

While he was falling asleep he seemed to understand what was happening. He licked my hands (and my Dad's hands), as if telling us it was okay, not to be upset. He did this whenever I got upset when he cried out in pain, too. He always comforted me that way - he didn't like to cuddle, but he showed his love in other ways. 

I had already started grieving for him since his diagnosis, but as soon as he passed it hit me again. We decided to have him cremated - and we kept his collar and tags. When they give us his ashes, we plan to spread them in the forest near our house. He always loved that place. 

I know people say this all the time: but he was the best dog I could have ever had. He taught me to be assertive and have confidence in myself, he cured my Dad of his fear of dogs, he helped my Mom lose 100+ pounds on their walks together. He was a good boy - no...he was a great boy. The best boy. And I miss him with all my heart. It hurts really bad.

But I know in my heart I made the right decision - he wasn't enjoying life anymore. It was time to let him go. I hope he understands. I am not a religious person, but if there is a rainbow bridge somewhere, I hope he's there. 

Suka, you were a damn fine dog. I'll miss you, buddy. 

Edited by Elyse

So sad to hear that Suka has passed over.

You did what was best for him.

Big hugs from the Rickard pack.

Elyse, my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I know you did everything possible for Suka, and he must have known as well. The decision you made is one of the toughest. And you made it, not for yourself, but for Suka. Husky Hugs from Zoya and Rohn.  Run free Suka.

I already said this on Facebook but I'll say this on here again. I'm so, so sorry.  Take your time grieving, it's okay to cry. It's okay to feel sad and hollow even after many years have passed. Though even if no other dog could ever replace him, when the time comes, do open your heart for another one that needs your love x sleep tight, Suka. I remember stealing his picture to put on that notepad I sent you for Secret Santa.  Always thought he has a really beautiful pair of eyes. Run free xx

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, everyone. 

I don't know who sent the flowers to us, but we thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We weren't expecting it! They're beautiful. 

We also got an engraved stone from one of my cousins with his name on it. So we'll be burying his ashes instead, and put the stone on top as a grave marker. Dad said he would like that better. Dad's taking it really hard (more so than me I think) - he says it hurts worse than when his parents passed away. 

And I just wanted to say that, if we ever get another dog (Dad says he couldn't handle going through this again), it might not be a husky. If that's the case, I hope I'm still welcome here. 

(I do plan to get a husky in the future, though, when I get my own place)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Elyse said:

And I just wanted to say that, if we ever get another dog (Dad says he couldn't handle going through this again), it might not be a husky. If that's the case, I hope I'm still welcome here. 

(I do plan to get a husky in the future, though, when I get my own place)

Oi, everyone with even a remote interest in huskies is more than welcome here. Regardless what (or lack off) dog you physically own. You should know that well enough now ;)

Edited by BlueWolf
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, robke said:

Do not be daft...course you must stay here your are part of the furniture...oh mean family....

Yeah do not be daft.  I am, but they still let me chime in from time to time.  Tell your dad, if it's of any value, that I struggled with the fact that when we lost our first Husky, Elke, and when we recently lost our rescue Husky, Eisa, that the grief felt was very much worse than the grief felt for either of my parents.  And in the end, I have to believe that was because it was I who made the decision of when the passing would take place, added to the fact that both of these Huskies were dependent upon my wife and I for everything, and letting them pass on was in some way, a failure on our part for keeping them safe and healthy.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...