Husky Puppy's Colors (new member!)

Hi everyone!! I am new to this site, this is my first post :) 

I have always LOVED huskies - ever since I was a baby. My parents had a black & white husky since before I was born, and I spoke my first word "dog" while looking at his beautiful face. Now, many years later (and a happy dog home that has welcomed many breeds and rescues) we are bringing another husky into our lives, and I am over the moon. 

My family has picked out this beautiful baby girl (named Lucy), I think she is just stunning. It will be about another month before we can take her home, and I haven't got to meet her yet but my brother and mom have sent me these photos. I wanted to share this because I am so excited - but also because I've never seen colors like hers before and wanted to know if anyone else has had a puppy with similar colors/markings? I am wondering if she is red, sable, or maybe something else? Just curious to see what other people think!!

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 3.32.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 3.32.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 3.33.11 PM.png

PS: Here mom is light red and white, and her dad is black and white.

• Like 3

Hi there and welcome to the forum. :wave: 

She's gorgeous!  As she grows her coat will probably lighten or darken somewhat but to my eyes it does look like she's a red.  Some reds are dark copper coloured, almost chocolate like, whilst others are considerably lighter.  All are stunning.   :) 

• Like 1

Thanks @Emma ! 

Her face looked red to me but her coat looks so multi-toned on her back, so I wasn't sure! From looking around this site it seems like husky puppies with coats like this are a bit unpredictable and grow into a variety of colors. Thank you for your feedback, I have been leaning towards red as well which is why we thought of the name "Lucy" (my mom is a huge fan of Lucille Ball) - but of course what ever color she turns out, she will be absolutely beautiful!! I'm just so excited and can't wait to watch her grow!!

• Like 2

Yes, that's definitely true.  They really can change so much, it's untrue!

i'll tag someone with a lot of knowledge in this area who might be able to help,  

@jmscott.   Hi Jaimie.   Was wondering what you thought this coat colour would officially be classed as?   I was leaning towards the red but wondered what your view was?   Thanks.  Xx

• Like 1

She's beautiful, Fenrir's sisters in his litter were similar colouring, more sable than red. I never got to see any grown up pictures though. I think his mum was sable too, though looking very bedraggled looking after a litter of 10 puppies, she was a lovely dog.

Getting a new member of the family is so exciting, have fun :)

• Like 1

Welcome.  All Huskies are beautiful.  Their colors and masks all vary, and change throughout their lives. 

• Like 1

Hidden

Red nose, 
Red dog.

There are a lot of uneducated breeders who come up with all sorts of absurd names. (chocolate, tan, tri). The SHCA has a list of the colors of the breed. Genetically, the breed comes in white, red, and black. Other colors or patterns are only variations of those two. http://shca.org/shcahp5a.htm

Don't forget to make sure your new pups parents are BOTH listed for hip and eye certifications!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had the same question about my husky. People ask me if she's a red and well technically she is but she looks more of a brown. She used to be a brighter red but her color tends to change. But I've never seen another husky with her colors until yours. Whatever color though they are absolutely beautiful!

image.thumb.jpeg.916f632dc685b78753a8895

• Like 2

I love all these photos!! Lucy turns 4 months tomorrow - still as cute as can be! I'm so impressed with her temperament... She's been quite well behaved indoors and has learned her first commands! 

Anyways, here is a photo update!!

IMG_7616.thumb.jpg.5110ec28e72509984adaf

Also - She is huge!! She met a really small husky today and was almost the same height!! She is only 4 months and already weighs over 30lbs. Crazy... can't wait to see how big she gets :)

• Like 1