Incontinence in male dogs?

Sarah

Has anyone any experience with this?

Recently I've noticed when kimba gets up from curling up on the sofa he leaves a wet patch behind and then cleans himself. He is 8 in April next year and is neutered so am guessing the reduction in hormones along with his age is the cause but I will be going to the vets next week.

This is the dribble he just left on the sofa

1ae9b76fb94b5463ee6743592456031f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Oh god i really shouldn't google things!! :(

Incontinence in a male dog can be a serious medical condition; it can signify the beginning of a serious disease such as cancer. Consequently it is essential to recognize and react to the symptoms of male dog incontinence as soon as they arise.

Causes of Male Incontinence

Male dog incontinence can be caused by stress, blockages, infection, excessive thirst, spinal cord injuries or a weakened bladder. In certain cases it can be a sign of prostate disease or cancer. If your dog is suffering from incontinence, no matter how serious, it is always a good idea to take him to a vet. Elderly canines usually suffer from incontinence when their hormone levels drop; younger canines often suffer incontinence soon after they are neutered. 
While the condition affects all breeds of dogs, certain breeds are more prone to developing incontinence than others. These include Siberian huskies, Welsh corgis, miniature Poodles, wire-haired fox terriers, Labrador retrievers and West Highland white terriers.

Male dogs can develope it at a young age and 8 is young, but good to be taking him to the vets 

Are you sure its wee, it could be he is leaking an excessive amount of the normal fluids that can collect and biuld up in a mae dogs sheath

hard to tell but a minor infection could be making him produce more which leaks,

I cant beleave i am saying this but wee should be clear yellow and hand full of toilet paper should pick it up.

you could also roll him over rub the sheath and see if a lot of gunk leaks out should normaly be white ish (can have a yellow tint if just pee'ed) if its

thick and smells really bad rotten it probably an infection. some antibiotics will clear it up

Until then just put a towel down and encourage him to lay on that

Brooke does it from time to time but then she is a 14 year old geriatric staffy, so I'm not surprised she does tbh.   

I know that in some cases, neutering can cause some degree of incontinence but that's pretty rare and I would have thought it to be an immediate thing really.   

It could be some inflammation in the bladder area itself maybe?  I'm not sure tbh........trying to think of the symptoms of hypothyroidism and such like..,..I recall there's a symptom of peeing more but not sure if incontinence was there and tbh you would likely notice other symptoms like a lack of energy etc......I would have thought.

Alpha does it every now and then..but that is mainly because he could not be bothered geting up and letting us know he needs a wee....

would incontinence not be a all the time thingy every time he would get up from every where and then his crate would be wet as well...

1 hour ago, robke said:

Alpha does it every now and then..but that is mainly because he could not be bothered geting up and letting us know he needs a wee....

would incontinence not be a all the time thingy every time he would get up from every where and then his crate would be wet as well...

True incontinence, yeah it would be.    Brooke leaks only when she's in a deep sleep.  Her sphincter muscles relax too much I suspect.  But during the day, when she's up and about, she doesn't leak at all.   

4 minutes ago, Emma said:

True incontinence, yeah it would be.    Brooke leaks only when she's in a deep sleep.  Her sphincter muscles relax too much I suspect.  But during the day, when she's up and about, she doesn't leak at all.   

learned something again...