Avira or Avast?

Emma

I downloaded the freebie of Avast the other day as my old antivirus had run out and I didnt wanna pay to renew it.   i'm having a few issues with my laptop tbh and i'm not entirely convinced that Avast is doing it's job too well. (I know it hasn't got a firewall in the freebie but it's not even finding stuff when I'm running a full system scan.  That would be fine excep that when I run superantispyware it tells me it has found adwares so clearly avast is not picking them up!)

i've tried AVG in the past and wasn't all that impressed with that either, so the only other bigwig i can think of would be Avira.  I've heard it's not graphically pleasing but pretty powerful where it counts. 

l was after your thoughts or recommendations please.  What do you guys use? 

I have been using the free Avira for years now on all my computers and now on phones and tablets as well not had a single problem..even on win10 ,now that the majority of the bugs are fixed...

I've used Avast for years without problems (before that, Norton but it became too resource hungry), but rarely reports anything (usually a false positive) - it's an antivirus, not an antispyware. I allow Windows Defender to trundle along, regularly updated but it never reports anything. Most of the real work is done by Comodo firewall which runs according to my very strict and tight rules which I monitor very carefully.

I have been using the free Avira for years now on all my computers and now on phones and tablets as well not had a single problem..even on win10 ,now that the majority of the bugs are fixed...

Spot on. I've been using Avira for years, and found it better than AVG. I also used to use TrendMicro which was good, but have no reason to switch from Avira.

IMO get rid of Spybot and all other Adware crap... a complete waste of time and usually does more damage than good.