Rest in peace... Dana and Gijs

BlueWolf

Today, at the age of 12 years old, Dana has sadly been put to sleep. She was getting older and older. And although you wish the point of getting "too old" would be just crisp and clear one day but sadly it wasn't for Dana. She's been gradually declining over the past few years. On some days you wonder if she'd still be there next week, but then a few days later she's back herself again. But one thing was always clear, she is really getting older. And at some point you'll have to bite the bullet and decide when the quality of life has declined enough that it's best to decide to stop it right there. Some who've had to deal with this before will probably know how hard it is to make such decision...

Before I left the country a few weeks ago I already sort of said goodbye to her. And I was right, because this week it became clear that Dana wasn't enjoying life any more and was getting weaker and weaker. All my support goes to Ruth who has had to made that decision on her own because I couldn't be there. Dana, together with Glala were not only my first introduction to the Siberian Husky breed, but actually to the big world of dogs. I wouldn't be here in life without her. I'm going to miss her greatly...

RIght before I left the country I got other sad news though. Dierenthuis emailed me Gijs has suddenly passed away. He was doing great the evening before, and in the next morning they found his lifeless body. He had a heart attack. Although I've already said goodbye to him a very long time ago, it still hit me very hard in the guts. I have sort of had to put it aside which it why I've not mentioned it earlier. I was already missing him, but now I certainly do more. Knowing that him, together with Dana, I'll never see them again.

Rest in peace both of you. You were great soul mates and you'll be missed greatly.

1.thumb.jpg.3e0ff83563d90f203b1d388a0290

4.thumb.jpg.49d5d16e97990cabe5be381afb17

8.thumb.jpg.be75d8bfd8528d24e43043379963

g4.thumb.jpg.27c95d10470845e41ecbdc6ef02

g6.thumb.jpg.3e421b884ade1d9c9afbc9c5ba2

So Sad to hear this Jos.

I know you said Gijs was your perfect dog, but couldn't have him yourself.

and Dana has been a part of the forum pack for as long as you have been here.

RIP Gijs and Dana, Run free

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...