Raw Food Diet Yes or No?

carolinep

There are a few people I know who raw feed and their pets do great with it.

The only reason I don't is because it's confusing to me (you can't just stick a bit of meat in front of them, you need ratios of meat, bone and offal content). And that kinda fries my brain tbh. I also have issues with handling raw meat, which doesn't help, lol.

He seems to be bored of his kibble that's why I am thinking about changing. When I put his kibble down he just looks at it and walks away from it. He will eat it eventually, but sometimes he goes an entire day before he does. We took him to the vet he isn't loosing weight and is healthy so there's no concern with health, I just think he is bored of his food.

Mine used to skip meals in the past...would leave the food for 15 mins then take it away and not give it back till next meal...nothing to worry about there is very normal..

with this new kibble I do not have this problem andmore  LOLOL...

• 2 years later...

I feed my  three dogs on Raw, I buy the main meat pre mixed and minced up (80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 10% organ(offal)) i also by Spratts (small fish) turkey necks, and other items.

They get the main meat as the base part of the meal. I then add some other items daily for a little diffence, raw egg, mixed veg, fish, liver chunks, heart chunks etc salmon oil pasta ( i by big 3 kilo sacks and add a cup full for each dog to a bowl pour on a kettle of water leave until cool and then add to dinner

I found they were not very fond of plain chicken, but love the chicken mixed meat or beef lamb etc packs i buy

I get my food from a raw dog food dealer not the cheap  stuff in most pet shops

The dogs love it and they are doing very well on it

If I had the freezer space and a bit more time for prep I would feed raw, I know a few people who recommend it

In terms of Kibble, Orijen is probably going to be the closest thing to raw feeding that you can try. But it’s very high protein so if you have a low protein kibble at the moment it’s best to try a mid-protein kibble such as Canagan as a transition kibble to prevent the sudden high protein upsetting their tummy. I started feeding Astro Canagan 2 years ago as a transition to Orijen but he loves it so he’s just been on that ever since!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I don’t understand why people find it difficult to feed raw, you just buy a selection of raw cuts and try them to see which the dog will eat. I’ve tried all sorts with Luna and she eats pretty much everything but with preferences, she really doesn’t like any mince and will only eat it if really hungry. She varies in whether she will eat beef and pork chunks but she will eat oxtail, she eats pork ribs and loves chicken. You can buy most meat already cut and frozen so it’s easy to store. I’ve recently discovered she will eat liver but she’s not keen on kidney.

As for kibble, well, I just don’t understand why anyone would feed it regularly to their pets? Would you give your children dried food day in day out and expect them to thrive? Of course pets and children would eat it because if that’s all they’re given it’s that or starve. An acquaintance of mine gave her lovely black lab Wagg, it’s got to be the cheapest nastiest kibble going and her dog was always hungry and too thin. Finally after I’ve bent her ear and another dog walker had a word, someone said she’s now buying a better make, it will still be kibble I guess but hopefully with more protein. I know some kibbles are much more nutritious than others but they’re still not what a dog would choose, it’s just not a good choice. Cats fed exclusively on kibble nearly always develop kidney problems and they die unpleasant deaths, there’s no reason to suppose dogs don’t suffer in the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also feed raw and have done for 10 years  -  I feed individual meats and change them every day for variety  -  ie  they may get beef chunks and pork chunks with salmon one day, then get beef chunks  with white fish and lamb chops the next,    the bone portion of their diet is made up of either lamb ribs  or the bone from a lamb chop (Marley prefers lamb bone).

It takes me around 5-6 mins to prepare my boys dinners, 10 mins max with all their extras.

@CarolineP ~ Hello!!
It's great to get lots of opinions & research the different foods because you want the very best for your puppy!![emoji4]
I feed my two Huskies a high quality "dry" food with lots of protein & carbs.
1) Your puppy needs a good "Puppy" food with lots of protein & good carbs for all the growing he'll be doing over the next almost two years. I always suggest feeding around 3-4cups of puppy food daily (for younger pups) and then gradually "increase" it as your pup is growing to 5-6cups food daily.
2) I also give my two a Doggy MultiVitamin daily and a Doggy Probiotic daily. (They make "Puppy" MultiVitamins too since your puppy is very young.)
I've talked too a lot of raw food feeders and just as many dry kibble feeders.
This is my opinion of how I view raw feeding. I believe raw food/game is caught by wild animals for survival like wolves. (Though Huskies are similar but unrelated to the wolf), Huskies are "domesticated" dogs and not wild (though they act wild). In saying that, you would really need to research different raw foods, special instructions like do not cook/boil raw bones because they turn hard & splinter, does feeding raw have all the vitamins & nutrients required for a dog, etc. So just some things to think about.
*Some people "compromise" feeding raw food & vegetables in the morning and then switch to dry food for afternoon & evening feedings.
So it's really your choice and "you do what you feel is best for you and your puppy." Don't let anyone try to persuade you one way or the other because it's your beautiful puppy.
Just some things to think about.
I hope this helps.
[emoji252][emoji252][emoji252] WELCOME ABOARD [emoji252][emoji252][emoji252]
[emoji4][emoji191][emoji295]️[emoji171]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

19 hours ago, wolfpup said:

I also feed raw and have done for 10 years  -  I feed individual meats and change them every day for variety  -  ie  they may get beef chunks and pork chunks with salmon one day, then get beef chunks  with white fish and lamb chops the next,    the bone portion of their diet is made up of either lamb ribs  or the bone from a lamb chop (Marley prefers lamb bone).

It takes me around 5-6 mins to prepare my boys dinners, 10 mins max with all their extras.

How do you recommend me to transition her to raw? She is a 4 month old puppy should I wait til she is 1 ? Or what do you recommend? How do I find the perfect diet for her 

How do you recommend me to transition her to raw? She is a 4 month old puppy should I wait til she is 1 ? Or what do you recommend? How do I find the perfect diet for her 

There’s lots of help online if you want to raw feed, I fed my 2 kibble until they were 5-6 months old and then I changed to raw. I started by introducing different meat at the evening meal, they eat beef bones, lamb bones, lamb ribs, chicken, fish, veg etc sweet potato is a favourite, they don’t get bored with the variety. You could start by giving her a beef bone to chomp on during the day, mine love bones. Don’t overload to begin with as it could give her diarrhoea, good luck [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners mobile app

I've been feeding raw for 10 years or so as I said in the post above - and that film terrified me - all that work!     My boys would not say thank-you  for all that mince  -  neither are particularly fond of mince - they like to chew on lumps of meat, bone  & fish  -  but then again if that is all they have ever had then that is what they will eat  - same with any type of food. 

I got Marley at 12 weeks old (and I was his 4th owner)  and immediately changed him onto a raw diet  (he was on a kibble when I got him). His first meal was lightly scrambled eggs with a little raw beef mince.    There was no adverse reactions so the next meal was raw chicken wings (cut the tip of the wing off as it is very sharp) with chicken ribs and chicken breast - to see how he coped with bones, with a raw whipped egg to follow - again no adverse reaction  - he took to it like a duck to water.    From then on I just gave him whatever I fed my 12 yr old dog  - just cut it up a little smaller.  from weaning a wild dog/wolf pup will eat whatever the adult dogs catch, fur, bones and all.

Lunar will quite happily tuck into a whole fresh sardine  (around 9 inches long) - but Marley likes his cut into about 1 inch chunks (he is now 2 1/2).  I usually give 2 meat and one fish per meal  (I feed once a day since Marley gew up)  -  but as long as they get fish twice a week its enough.   Vary the meat (a dog cannot live on chicken alone)  and make sure they also get organ meat  (heart really does not count as organ meat - treat it like muscle-meat)  spleen, pancreas, liver, kidney, green tripe etc - these are the multi-vitamins for dogs.   I am a long time vegetarian and I cannot cope with the smell of organ meats, so I get a pre-prepared one  ..................    If you do a search for "changing food flavours" by Rhea the husky (I think) you will see some pictures  I posted of this mix.

Mine get (over the course of ten days or so:-

sirloin chunks, pork chunks, lamb chops, beef mince, salmon chunks, whole sardines, white fish chunks, raw eggs, sprats, spleen chunks, bone broth, chicken carcases, chicken legs, chicken necks, duck necks, lamb necks, lambs ribs, venison ribs, beef heart, lamb heart,  premium ofal mix, etc.    The necks & ribs count towards the bone portion of their meal  -  but I save the bones as treats for them later in the day  (it also keeps them occupied for a good while).  About 10% of their daily food intake should consist of bone.   Their undoubted favourite is lambs ribs  -  this is what I gave Marley to cut his teeth on when he started getting his adult teeth  (saved my wooden furniture legs)

I choose to make up my dogs food from scratch so I have total control of their nutrition, however in the UK we are blessed with many local and online raw food shops  (but it works out cheaper if you do it yourself once you feel more confident).     Also it helps with the cost if you can find a smallish butcher who prepares his own meat  ........... he has to pay to get his waste taken away  -  waste that is luxury food to our dogs, (organs, bones) etc,  he will happily give them to you as it saves him money!    My butcher charges me 60p a kilo for chicken carcases, lambs ribs, venison ribs, etc - but they are large enough to be paid by the renderers for their waste products, so they charge me what they would be paid  -  it still works out less than half what I would pay at a raw food shop  (a kilo of lambs ribs cost £2.50 at my local raw food place - I get them for 60p a kilo)

It is scary to start with - but it gets easier as you go along - you will find your dog will love some things and not others  - and you adapt the diet accordingly.   Lunar loves raw liver - but Marley hates it, he just rolls in it, rubs it all over his face and neck.  He wont eat liver raw,  or cooked, - so I dehydrate raw liver and give it to him as a crunchy treat - which he loves.

message me if you want any further info -  very happy to help in any way I can.

Can I get people's opions on raw food diets for my husky please? He is currently on kibble but I have been told by a few people now to maybe try the raw food diet.
20150823_184641.thumb.jpg.e5b48af038829163fe592badcf91f10d.jpg

Your story sounds exactly like mine. You may want to look into “Grandma Lucy’s” It’s a freeze dried minimally processed food. It’s very close to raw feeding. I used it until I became confident in my ability to make sure I was providing my husky with all the essential vitamins etc., she needed. Feeding raw is more than just the giving your dog the muscle meat (although that is the foundation and majority of a raw diet.) The diet must also include calcium which you get from bones, organs are the multivitamin, fruits and vegetables are the least part of the diet. The diet should also contain fish. Hope this helps. You know your better than anyone. So continue to research and take the steps towards raw feeding when you are comfortable!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
I've been feeding raw for 10 years or so as I said in the post above - and that film terrified me - all that work!     My boys would not say thank-you  for all that mince  -  neither are particularly fond of mince - they like to chew on lumps of meat, bone  & fish  -  but then again if that is all they have ever had then that is what they will eat  - same with any type of food. 
I got Marley at 12 weeks old (and I was his 4th owner)  and immediately changed him onto a raw diet  (he was on a kibble when I got him). His first meal was lightly scrambled eggs with a little raw beef mince.    There was no adverse reactions so the next meal was raw chicken wings (cut the tip of the wing off as it is very sharp) with chicken ribs and chicken breast - to see how he coped with bones, with a raw whipped egg to follow - again no adverse reaction  - he took to it like a duck to water.    From then on I just gave him whatever I fed my 12 yr old dog  - just cut it up a little smaller.  from weaning a wild dog/wolf pup will eat whatever the adult dogs catch, fur, bones and all.
Lunar will quite happily tuck into a whole fresh sardine  (around 9 inches long) - but Marley likes his cut into about 1 inch chunks (he is now 2 1/2).  I usually give 2 meat and one fish per meal  (I feed once a day since Marley gew up)  -  but as long as they get fish twice a week its enough.   Vary the meat (a dog cannot live on chicken alone)  and make sure they also get organ meat  (heart really does not count as organ meat - treat it like muscle-meat)  spleen, pancreas, liver, kidney, green tripe etc - these are the multi-vitamins for dogs.   I am a long time vegetarian and I cannot cope with the smell of organ meats, so I get a pre-prepared one  ..................    If you do a search for "changing food flavours" by Rhea the husky (I think) you will see some pictures  I posted of this mix.
Mine get (over the course of ten days or so:-
sirloin chunks, pork chunks, lamb chops, beef mince, salmon chunks, whole sardines, white fish chunks, raw eggs, sprats, spleen chunks, bone broth, chicken carcases, chicken legs, chicken necks, duck necks, lamb necks, lambs ribs, venison ribs, beef heart, lamb heart,  premium ofal mix, etc.    The necks & ribs count towards the bone portion of their meal  -  but I save the bones as treats for them later in the day  (it also keeps them occupied for a good while).  About 10% of their daily food intake should consist of bone.   Their undoubted favourite is lambs ribs  -  this is what I gave Marley to cut his teeth on when he started getting his adult teeth  (saved my wooden furniture legs)
I choose to make up my dogs food from scratch so I have total control of their nutrition, however in the UK we are blessed with many local and online raw food shops  (but it works out cheaper if you do it yourself once you feel more confident).     Also it helps with the cost if you can find a smallish butcher who prepares his own meat  ........... he has to pay to get his waste taken away  -  waste that is luxury food to our dogs, (organs, bones) etc,  he will happily give them to you as it saves him money!    My butcher charges me 60p a kilo for chicken carcases, lambs ribs, venison ribs, etc - but they are large enough to be paid by the renderers for their waste products, so they charge me what they would be paid  -  it still works out less than half what I would pay at a raw food shop  (a kilo of lambs ribs cost £2.50 at my local raw food place - I get them for 60p a kilo)
It is scary to start with - but it gets easier as you go along - you will find your dog will love some things and not others  - and you adapt the diet accordingly.   Lunar loves raw liver - but Marley hates it, he just rolls in it, rubs it all over his face and neck.  He wont eat liver raw,  or cooked, - so I dehydrate raw liver and give it to him as a crunchy treat - which he loves.
message me if you want any further info -  very happy to help in any way I can.

This has been invaluable information thank you I'm thinking of switching to raw not that Harlow minds her kibble but she loves raw bones I give her and know it's much better for her

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

Hi,

I love the idea of a raw diet. After the  initial over load of info, I don't think it is as difficult as it comes off.

Really wish I could do raw with mine but,,,, My step daughter has  cystic fibrosis so I can't chance any food born  pathogens. 

I just had to switch my pups kibble. They are dealing with Giardia and coccidia and have  sensitive tummies. So finding a puppy food that is for food allergies, deals with GI issues, and have the nutrition that pups need has been really hard and everything I research suggests a raw diet.

I was able to find one brand that covers everything my pups need and I do add can. I make a gravy and poor it over the kibble. The girl would turn her nose up to plain kibble but since I added the gravy she has not refused it one time.

Mine were on kibble as pups and I switched to raw at around 5-6 months of age, I replaced the evening meal to raw and phased out kibble, I have noticed they get very excited when it’s meal time, Cai jumps up and down very excited Luka blue watches his bowl as if it’s alive and he’s stalking it! They never got that excited with kibble, sometimes they’d eat it, sometimes not. Even tho dogs have kibble they can still have lamb ribs and meat bones etc, I think it can be a little scary when you first start them on raw making sure you get the % right.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived