What type of Crate/Kennel?

ctripplins

We have a metal crate with a metal bottom (the ones with the removable plastic bottoms tend to slip out).  We also cable tied/zip tied around the frame for extra security and reinforcement........huskies are great at bending metal, I was shocked!  

Yup, thin-wired crates are a liability IMHO as they can break quite easily leaving sharp wire ends, so get one of the thicker, better made crates - we use Savic. Size-wise, I say not that important as long as dog can get up and turn around though we've always gone for the XL size - big enough for 2 dogs (have seperators though we've never used them - our dogs are very happy to 'team up')

Same as Emma, although Holly has two padlocks (yep, 1 doesn't hold her!) on hers as she can open the locks and gain freedom (she chewed the zip ties off!)....last time this happened the house was trashed (upstairs and down) she wreaked a load of my wedding stationary and she ate 2 whole bags of both human and doggies chocolates, suffice to say, she was a pretty poorly pooch!

Edited by Carly

• 3 weeks later...

Got a Karlie Flamingo xl wire crate for Smokey (actually got it for puppy Tsunami, but he takes it spart!) It was the most expensive and best quality available...

%7Boption%7Dhttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ppoG-hm6L.jpg

Itsvnice and big for her to move around a bit but I had to cable tie basically the whole thing (and thats how the dogs ended up trading crates, since Tsunami undos any cable tie within seconds!!!). Smokey does not try to escape, BUT she can open their double lever doors! And the salesperson said a dog wouldn't be able to figure it out...clever Husky thank you very much!

Tsunami is in a plastic airline type crate and that seems to keep him contained for now!

Edited by loudlucky

we have this one, 2 padlocks, and industrial strenght tie wraps on each side / corner, blaze has bent the bars in several places, but not escaped yet

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/dog/dog/dog-crates/double-door-crate

Edited by Mark Marples

• 2 weeks later...

I have a big wire crate for Sushi and Mochi.  They escaped many times so we added a padlock.  They kept escaping so we added a second padlock.  No more escapes.  But then they ate the plastic tray.  Like...they actually broke of big chunks and started eating it.  So we replaced the plastic tray with a real nice thick galvanized metal tray with a tall lip and smooth edges.  Solved the problem and the LOVE the metal surface because it gets nice and cool.

My previous husky also chewed/ate up the plastic tray and then proceeded to dig a hole in the carpet in both my bedroom and my in-laws guest room.  So a metal tray is highly recommended plus if they ever have an accident it will be a cinch to clean (the tray anyways...)!