When does a female go into heat

Meisha

Any rule of thumb with huskies of when they go into heat the 1st time and how long it last? Meisha is 9 months old now. Just curious if I should wait for this event or get her fixed before.

Thanks for any advice

Mark

Hidden

Bitches are in heat for 30 days from when you first notice swelling or bleeding. Males are going to be attracted to her and can impregnate her through kennels and fencing so you will have to be diligent. First heats can be up in the air. Some can have silent heats, where there are no signs at all. Others can have split heats, where they are in heat a couple weeks, then a couple weeks after that, they can go back into heat.

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/theriogenology-5361/the_normal_canine.htm

Oh, and don't let her fool you.... she will be as interested in scaling fences and chewing through doors to find a male as they will be to find her.

Timing, duration and frequency varies - anywhere from 6 months to 18 months for the intial, usually at least 14 days but can last 60 days and averages twice a year but can be once.

Our adopted Skye didn't have her first season until 15 months and then she proceeded to have a split season (appeared to finish and then restarted) and then when she had her second 12 months later it went on forever - we wanted to get her spayed but the decision was that she was still in season 2 months later (not overtly but lactating). She's now been done! ;)

Foster Kita came in to us as an emergency foster as she was in season - she stayed 10 weeks as it just went on and on and on - but now in her furever home :)

Whenever she wants and don't you dare ask without a helmet and chocolate or well just don't ask at all. :D...... oh wait dogs (sorry crude joke couldn't resist)

Its interesting your asking about fixing after heat.  My vet recommended I do it before she went into heat.  I'm not a vet so I went with his recommendation.  He told me it severely reduces the chance of female related cancers in her.

• 4 years later...

We have a female Siberian husky that’s 2 1/2 months old

5 minutes ago, Tooley said:

We have a female Siberian husky that’s 2 1/2 months old

Ok well our 16 weeks old puppy likes to bite .So we told our her veterinarian and she said don’t hit her if you can’t put your hand in her mouth she said you got a nap in the bot so you got a taller no nice is that the way to do itSo we told our her veterinarian and she said don’t hit her if you can’t put your hand in her mouth she said you got a nap in the bot so you got a taller no nice is that the way to do it