Windows slow to launch

Emma

More issues with my laptop but not a big one this time.   Using a g62 HP laptop running windows 7 ATM.  When I power on it works as normal until its trying to run windows then I get a blank screen for around 1 minute before it finally starts running windows.  No problems once it's up and running but that blank screen beforehand is a bit concerning and a right pain the bum. 

Anyone got any ideas whether it could be a hardware issue or windows start up causing the problem?

Edit: here's the video to show what's happening.

https://youtu.be/pPUxI7jXv8s

Edited by Emma

Lol. At least it's working. Better then last time when part of the motherboard went belly up. Will have to get a new one eventually but I like this one, it suits me perfectly. Don't really want another one just yet.

Edited by Emma

Hmmmmm I smell conspiricy.

The day after windows 10 is launched all other versions

of Windows start to play up. :P

ok lets see, 

Run defragmenter and scandisk

run virus check

go to https://www.safer-networking.org/ and get spybot install and run check and use immuniser, it will probably find a lot of temp files say yes to removing them its always left over junk.

next check how many programs you have running at start up and installed to taskbar many more than 6 and yes it will take ages to start and shutdown. things like skype Yim dropbox etc set to start when you select them not all the time.

also check installed fonts many more than 70 or 80 can slow down the pc as well

speed checking a pc or laptop would need me sat in front of it really but that lot should help 

Thanks Paul.   I've done all of those things several times over, albeit using different programmes.   The speed of windows when it's up and running is fine.  It even launches quickly once it is has finally kicked into gear but it's this huge pause initially where it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all, doesn't even make the windows noise until its started launching.  It's like it freezes for a while and then thinks "ok, I'll look for windows now and fire it up". 

Edit: I've taken a video of the start up. Will post it to the original post once YouTube has published it.

it could be a BIOS setting, your laptop is set ti start from dvd usb before it looks at the hd. depending on your laptop you will have to press one of the Fkeys *read you machines manual* to find out which one or key combination is needed look for where it says start up and set it to hd first

so the pause could be it looking at all the other drives and usb ports before it checks the hd

Edited by PaulG

Thank you Paul, that makes sense. I've had a bios issue before. I've forgotten what the two keys I need to press to sort it out but can look it up easily enough. I seem to remember last time that there was an irreparable issue and I had to reinstall the whole thing from scratch. I was up till 4am, lol. Hopefully not going to do that this time round.