Windows 10

robke

who has got it and what do you think of it so far....

I have got it but not played with it sofar it did take nearly 6 hrs to download and install and get the settings right....so therefore I have not played with it yet...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my copy reserved but being an early adopter in a windows os usually comes with headaches so I think I will let others field test it and let me know.  It wont be long anyway until I am forced to look into it at work.

Still waiting for my download to be approved.

It is a bit strange from all the computers in this house only my laptop got the download this morning all the others have to wait...

Still waiting for my download to be approved.

1. Download all windows updates and install until it says there are no more left to download
  2. Open cmd prompt (make sure its open as administrator
  3. Run the following command "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" which will force windows 10 download through windows update

Still got a problem?

1. Go and download windows 10 from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
  2. Click it
  3. Click update now

not got it yet, but i like windows 8 for the speed and the lack of slowdown.  what do i mean by slowdown? well after about a month of use computers slow down as the file system fragments etc etc, but with windows 8 it hasn't done this.

Ok so i forced mine to update (Cheers for the info Marc). First impressions, i like i think they have a balance between windows 7 and windows 8.  

I liked windows 8 and i am technically minded, but i can see how people would hate windows 8. it can be hard to find programs. and work your way around the system. i had to help someone who was trying to install a printer and they did not realize they had already installed it :)

My main gripe with previous windows was that i have a fast system with SSD drives in raid. loads of fast RAM and a decent processor  and to be honest i expected my system to a lot be faster.  with windows 10 it is obviously faster.

Thanks for the info Marc getting todays updates now was up to date as of yrsterday afternoon :)

I am going to wait a bit to be sure that all programs/games are fully supported. I would hate to upgrade my OS and be stuck with the issues.

For the people stating they hate Windows 8/8.1 - how come? Is it the tiled desktop layout vs classic start menu desktop? Only reason I ask is I actually not too long ago went from 7 -> 8 and I hated 8 with a passion at first until I discovered the app you can download to make it look and act just like the Windows of old.

Yeah it was the layout that i disliked.  On windows 7 I know how to do stuff like sort out the wireless connection for the printer etc...but trying to do things in windows 8 was a total headache,  I didn't know where to start?!   God knows why they tried to make it look like an apple product.  You want apple you don't go to Microsoft, you go to apple.  Simples.  

There are quite a lot of apple like features in there, but to be honest thats not a bad thing. On my mac I'm using office because its the best out there, I use Skype etc which are microsoft stuff. To be honest Ive been playing with windows 10 for a bit now and Im kinda in the same camp as David on this one. Windows 8 is fine once you get to know it and its actually quite fast in comparison to previous versions. Its just that their overall design was a nightmare. They seem to have resolved that with a vengence on windows 10 though. Looks very nice.

Its actually interesting being a windows user for so long and now using a mac how many things are good in both. I now use a mac at home and windows at work. When Im at work it drives me up the wall than I haven't got the mac features I like and when Im at home I do the same with the windows features lol. For anyone who does use a mac though, consider parallels desktop. Its truly the only thing to run windows on a mac with if you have the memory for it. You can basically run windows applications in windows but have them open like they are on the mac. I can even open the start menu from my dock. Great for me because I do windows development. Get the best of both worlds.

Ok so here's my windows 10 journey.

Tried the first method and tried several times but had download files failed messages.

Used the second method and off we go.

Installs quite painlessly.

However it didn't port over my Nvidia graphics card drivers.

So I download the driver package for my specific card and express install.

Yay I can now run my screen at it's proper resolution.

Photoshop runs fine

Video runs fine. . . but wait where's the sound ????

Ah, it's not selected to the front headphone jack, had that before. . . into settings

Huh ??? no headphone jack to be selected. Just a bunch of Nvidia HDMI ports available.

OK Ill just download the realtek drivers for my PC install them and that will override the Nvidia ports

NOPE!!!

Uninstall the Nvidia drivers, Nope the sound settings are all still NvidiaHDMI

install the realtek again hoping they can now overwrite the Nvidia settings

Nope

Grrrrrr

off the the mighty interweb, nope not much help there.

So bugger it reset Windows

So I lose all my applications but restore the beast to stock settings

yay I now have sound

Reinstall Nvidia graphics settings manually not selecting the sound options

all working fine now

Just have to reinstall all my software.

sigh

It would have been a painless experience if Nvidia hadn't mucked it up.

Still I'm liking 10 so far

Had no problems so far with any drivers...printers, sound, keyboard and mouse setting all coame across just fine...I have done an old laptop that used win7 and was really slow and on win10 it is faster a lot faster even...

• 3 months later...

Well I've finally upgraded to windows 10 (I was holding back for a while to see what everyone else's was like first, lol).   Must say i'm pleasantly surprised that it looks pretty much the same desktop wise thank god.  Just got to work out how to find the control panel without having to type 'control panel' into the search filter, pmsl. 

Only thing I'm having issues with so far is this forum.  For the first time ever I'm experiencing problems getting the type box to come up when I click on reply.  Normally only happens on the ipad and never on the laptop with windows 7.   Strange.   Normally if I refresh the page a few times the typing editor will pop up. 

Just now, robke said:

need to clean your cache Emma

and if you right click on start menu there is a whole othe world that will open for you LOL

Clean the cache?  This is the first time I've used the internet on the new OS so wouldn't the cache be clear?  Or does that data get brought over from the old OS during the upgrade process.  I'll give it a try but useful to know what has exactly been carried across. 

i'm not right clicking anything yet until I pluck up some courage and steady my nerves!  :lolman: