New to raw feeding

Hi, I started to feed my husky pup raw today(just chicken leg) he ate a bit less than half of the chicken leg, but with 2% he suppose to eat 3 chicken leg a day. Does it take a while for him to start eating it/get used to it? Never had a pup raw fed before so it's new to me. My old dogs usually just chew everything up and still lick the plate. Also, those that raw feed, how many days a week do you give liver?

Hi Zeke there was a rather long discussion on this, but I don't know how to find.What have you researched so far on feeding dogs raw.Have they been on kibble till now?What size is the chicken leg? is that all that you gave your pup?Who said your dog should eat 3 chicken legs.Raw needs to be a very balanced diet and introduced slowly to young dogs.If they have been on kibble it would be best to add slowly to that.Are you into making your own?What ingredients are you using?

Yes he has been on kibbles, the breeders had him on Iams for pups for two weeks, and I switched him to blue buffalo for two weeks to wait for his teeth to get more developed.(he is 8.5 weeks now) I am starting his raw feed with chicken legs cause he does not like breast for some reason. 3 legs = to a pound and like 3 ounce. I give him a leg a meal to start off slow. He gets three meals a day. They are pretty big meaty legs since I get them at the butcher. Also he had diarrhea today which I'm not too worried about since it was not straight liquid and it's his first day. He is now eating the whole thing and only leave a small portion of the bone. I was just a bit paranoid cause he wasn't eating at first. But now I noticed he has pink eye... I noticed it was pinkish before feeding raw so it has nothing to do with it, got to see the vet tomorrow. 

We just put any foster dog onto raw when they come in - kibble seems to benefit from gradual introduction but we've never found a problem with raw. The whole "balanced diet" thing is so overblown - they don't need to have balance every meal but an approximate balance over a period of time - we just vary their diet every now and then with fresh fish (when reduced in supermarket - sprats usually), bit of heart very occasionally. Otherwise it's lamb tripe, mixed game and chicken carcass/backs/legs - small amount of liver once a week is sufficient. And not eating all the food isn't unusual - sometimes they'll go for a day or two without much food - though this presumes they're around the right weight

Pink eye can be quite normal - all ours can get a bit red after exercise though, typical(!), it's not always but very intermittently. But, like always, if you're unsure or have concerns, take to the vet - they are in the best position to judge as they can see the issue and check other possible symptoms!

How much food do you give them? Is it still 2-3% of his adult weight? My friend who raw feeds says it's different for pups. 

Sounds about right. We've never fed them according to their weight but feed approx 1lb a day, slightly more or slightly less according to how they do, time of year and amount of excercise

I vary between minced raw and whole chickens and beef cuts etc with mine, liver i only give once a week which i have to mix into mince with mine as otherwise they wont eat it lol also additives like fish oil are great :)

Hi Mark, I am not sure why you would say a balanced diet is over rated when feeding raw.Every bag of hi end dog food will always says it is a balanced diet.Why would you change that just because you are feeding raw?I feed Skye raw but my goal every day is to feed her a balanced diet.Yes I do buy my raw food prepackaged.It is gluten free and off course grain free.I feed Vital Essentials chicken kibble.Skye eats it frozen.It is formulated to meet nutritional levels established by the AAFCO.A great website for dog food ratings including raw is on this following site.It is www.dogfoodadvisor.com.I am not a representative for for any dog food company.I do prefer to feed Skye a meat only diet no fruits, vegetables.Since Skye will only eat chicken, no other animal or fish the content of her food is all chicken, bone, heart, liver, with herring oil.It is labeled a complete diet.I do also give Skye chicken necks which she also eats frozen.They are organic from a local farm.Maybe I am missing something but to me I don't understand how you know your pups are getting everything thing they need?Please do not think that I am criticizing you personally I am really trying to understand this type of approach to feeding raw.Thanks

With kibble each nugget contains the same balance of ingredients but with raw it's different.  It's not that each meal needs to be perfectly balanced but that the balance is met over several days (I think it's a week but not 100% on that).  The balance to be met on a prey drive feeding model are the meat, bone, offal etc....

Edited by Emma

Hi Mark, I am not sure why you would say a balanced diet is over rated when feeding raw.Every bag of hi end dog food will always says it is a balanced diet.Why would you change that just because you are feeding raw?I feed Skye raw but my goal every day is to feed her a balanced diet.Yes I do buy my raw food prepackaged.It is gluten free and off course grain free.I feed Vital Essentials chicken kibble.Skye eats it frozen.It is formulated to meet nutritional levels established by the AAFCO.A great website for dog food ratings including raw is on this following site.It is www.dogfoodadvisor.com.I am not a representative for for any dog food company.I do prefer to feed Skye a meat only diet no fruits, vegetables.Since Skye will only eat chicken, no other animal or fish the content of her food is all chicken, bone, heart, liver, with herring oil.It is labeled a complete diet.I do also give Skye chicken necks which she also eats frozen.They are organic from a local farm.Maybe I am missing something but to me I don't understand how you know your pups are getting everything thing they need?Please do not think that I am criticizing you personally I am really trying to understand this type of approach to feeding raw.Thanks

Hi Carmyn
Sorry, overrated is not really the word I should've used - it's more that you don't need to be a slave to a balanced diet, especially every day - as suggested above, weekly is more than enough. I certainly don't eat a balanced diet every day - and I'm not even sure I'd hit the target in a week(!), yet my health is OK and we're way more complex than our canine friends